Roof/windshield light bars

akdare

First Name
Alicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman
I’m sure you could wire it thru the AUX, and just leave the integrated switch on...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow1098

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
ummm...are you aware that it is against FAA regs to fly drones in the period between 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise? You need a waiver from the FAA to do so, and those are not easy to get. I'm an FAA-certified drone pilot and use drones in my photo business.

Back on track, while I would not pay $700 for any Quadratec light bar, I have paid in excess of $1000 for Rigid light bars in the past and they were worth every penny.
I was under the impression the FAA regulations of night flying were for commercial and professional use....it doesn't need apply to hobbist....and it always has to do with the weight of the drone...

Any I have seen a lot of cheaper options and I was just hoping there would be some feedback on bars people have used...but I have been shot out the air haha.....I sure do see a lot of Jeep's and some gladiators with them though

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I was under the impression the FAA regulations of night flying were for commercial and professional use....it doesn't need apply to hobbist....and it always has to do with the weight of the drone...
Sorry, you are correct. I sometimes forget that any yahoo can buy a drone and not be subject to some of the regulations that govern pilots who actually know what they are doing. That appears to be changing though. Recreational pilots will soon have to pass a basic Knowledge Test. It's a small step in the right direction.

If you like the looks of the windshield-mounted light bars, there's no reason not to install one. Just be aware that if you plan to actually use it off-road in dark backcountry areas, the glare from your hood will affect the usefulness of the light, no matter which light pattern you choose. Several of the photos in the "Off Road Lights" thread in this section prove my point. There are plenty of cheap light bars out there that will satisfy the cool appearance requirement.

OP
OP
Yellow1098

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, you are correct. I sometimes forget that any yahoo can buy a drone and not be subject to some of the regulations that govern pilots who actually know what they are doing. That appears to be changing though. Recreational pilots will soon have to pass a basic Knowledge Test. It's a small step in the right direction.

If you like the looks of the windshield-mounted light bars, there's no reason not to install one. Just be aware that if you plan to actually use it off-road in dark backcountry areas, the glare from your hood will affect the usefulness of the light, no matter which light pattern you choose. Several of the photos in the "Off Road Lights" thread in this section prove my point. There are plenty of cheap light bars out there that will satisfy the cool appearance requirement.
I am definitely one of those yahoos but when the laws change I will definitely follow them....do you think the glare will still be a problem when pointed upward? I also plan to use it more when the truck is stopped but I do appreciate all this info

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Nice thinly veiled insults, you should reread that and maybe edit if you didn't really intend to come off as a pompous ass.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Back on topic - the problem with lights above the windshield and even on the A pillars is light reflecting off the hood. And, obviously, the glare will kill your night vision and your ability to focus down field out in front of your JEEP instead of being distracted by the light bouncing off your hood.

OP
OP
Yellow1098

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting and Iv learned a lot of guys been saying that....how about the guys that put the light bars on the hood...or even better like a lot of trucks I wish there was a way to fab a light bar into the bumper

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
That's interesting and Iv learned a lot of guys been saying that....how about the guys that put the light bars on the hood...or even better like a lot of trucks I wish there was a way to fab a light bar into the bumper
I created a light bar above the bumper using the Mopar light mounts that attach to the frame. It wasn't my original plan, but the bumper was in the way and the lights wouldn't attach to the mounts.
20191006_021945.jpg

OP
OP
Yellow1098

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That looks great....not sure what you mean by the mopar light mounts...care to explain alittle more to a newbie

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
That looks great....not sure what you mean by the mopar light mounts...care to explain alittle more to a newbie
They are available from a lot of places, I bought a set off Ebay - Mopar Part # 82215428.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-2019-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Bumper-Mount-Light-Bracket-New-Mopar-OEM/283552298109?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They are angle brackets that bolt to the frame just behind the bumper. It provides two brackets to mount lights on. There's a rise in the bumper just in front of the bolt hole in the bracket. The mount on the lights I bought isn't tall enough to clear the rise in the bumper. I got some stainless steel hardware from Home Depot to mount the bar. I used a 1.5 inch long 3/8 inch bolt with two nuts between the bracket and bar mount to get the space needed to clear the rise in the bumper.

Instead of getting longer bolts and spacers just for the lights, I got a stainless steel tube and some bar mounts. I attached one set to the brackets to hold the tube, and used another set to mount the lights. I was going to paint the bar flat black, but decided not to after setting it in place and looking at the color contrast. I did get some black plugs that pushed into the ends of the tube. I ordered another set of lights to put out on each end of the bar, and am debating a 20" light bar to go in the center.

This is the steel tube. I bought a Used-Like New for $24. There were no issues with it. I went with a 3 foot, 1.75 inch O.D. The space will accommodate a bar up to 4 feet, and the mounts will work will multiple O.D. sizes.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TUEF5I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the plugs I put in the end of the tube. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XK4FY1Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the bar mounts I used. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714CYKBJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the lights I put on it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rough-Country-Chrome-Series-3-Wide-Angle-OSRAM-LED-Light-Kit-70904/312724441503?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
I ran a light bar above the windshield on my JK. I didnt notice any glare off the hood. Anvil. It lit up in front of the jeep as needed. And since they are only allowed off road, not like i was speeding anyway. I will be putting some on the jT, eventually.

that being said, they are 100% right about the noise. I didnt get a whistle, i got a wub wub noise. tollerable, but not by much. Hoping a more aero design comes out. see what happens

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a 50" single row and 4 3" pods and they put up great light. A little glare from the hood but not bad.

20191129_102000.jpg

20191129_101928.jpg

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Mine is hood mounted (rigid radiance), and there is no glare off the hood at all. One thing I didn't anticipate is that it blocks washer fluid though. When I eventually get a steel bumper I may mount it there, but I like the way it looks and the back lighting of it is subtle and I can run it on the road.
20191028_141319.jpg

Steve135

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 VW Atlas, RV-8 (project)
Has anyone had any issues with the KC Hilites Gravity Pro 6 light bar interfering with adaptive cruise? All the pictures I’ve seen puts the lights close to that sensor so I figured it was worth asking about. Thanks!
Sponsored