Gladiator bumpers and winch options?

Nikonthomas

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I love my new ride but can't stand the wimpy plastic bumper that came on my overland. It has a 3.5" rough country lift and 37" tires, feel like it needs a heavier duty bumper. This one has LED lights in the bumper - there are a ton of options. Anyone have a style or brand they recommend?

Also, what about winches? Never bought one and not sure about brands or specs.
Sponsored

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone tell me what the stock JT steel bumper is rated at for winches? I just bought it on the 9/18/20 for an overland build and am new to much of this stuff. Thanks.

Gladiator oz

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon & wrangler sport
Occupation
consultant
Can anyone tell me what the stock JT steel bumper is rated at for winches? I just bought it on the 9/18/20 for an overland build and am new to much of this stuff. Thanks.
It is but need the winch mount plate for it will let you know what I fit

Sponsored

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
I was asking what the bumper pull pound rating is. As in, is it capable of handling a 12k winch or is it only rated at something lower?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Surprised no one caught this and corrected the thinking on it........
The JT bumper (assuming the steel bumper) is not what holds the winch or needs to be rated.
The winch is mounted to a plate that is independent of the bumper. The plate normally mounts to/against the frame horns (front end of the frame) between bumper and frame.
You could actually use the winch and plate with NO bumper at all as the bumper simply sits around it.
So there's no rating for these bumpers, they don't hold the weight, the winch isn't mounted to the bumper at all.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Surprised no one caught this and corrected the thinking on it........
The JT bumper (assuming the steel bumper) is not what holds the winch or needs to be rated.
The winch is mounted to a plate that is independent of the bumper. The plate normally mounts to/against the frame horns (front end of the frame) between bumper and frame.
You could actually use the winch and plate with NO bumper at all as the bumper simply sits around it.
So there's no rating for these bumpers, they don't hold the weight, the winch isn't mounted to the bumper at all.
Addendum -
If talking AFTER-MARKET, then some bumpers are sold as winch bumpers - they are in effect a winch mount or plate with a bumper built around them.
So in that case, yeah, if you buy one of those NON-MOPAR JT bumpers, look for ratings and/or ability. They are made to hold the winch as their primary function and oh, yeah, it's a bumper, too.

The Mopar steel bumpers - and those look-alikes sold on 4x4 sites and eBay, they are a bumper, not a winch mount.

(the amount of knowledge around this forum is awesome - I've learned more stuff here than I'll ever use)

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
This is the third Shrockworks bumper I've purchased.
The other two were for the JK's I've owned.
This one is off-center, which was the default selection when I purchased it. That was a mistake (select the center). It gave me fits getting the winch in, as I was out of room on the right side. I ground some metal to get the bolt holes lined up, but no major surgery.

I love these bumpers for the build quality, and they're made in the USA.

They also tow well behind a motor home using the shackle points.

3B3B54E4-6635-487B-973A-BE8B7F7CDB34_1_105_c.jpeg

J33p3r_b3ast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Ninja
In regards to the Mopar front steel bumper — I recently installed one to replace the plastic bumper on our 2020 Overland (along with Mopar skid and winch guard — winch will be next year). Looks great and seems very solid. It’s pricey but you get LED fog lights (for me this was an upgrade), detachable end caps, and after dealing with some difficult 3rd party installations I appreciated how straight forward the install process was (you actually get torque specs in the instructions!).

Noticed that the left and right interiors of the bumper (along with the wiring harness connections to the fog lights) are not fully enclosed as they were with the plastic bumper. Any thoughts or solutions on covering the interior of the bumper from the rear?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In regards to the Mopar front steel bumper — I recently installed one to replace the plastic bumper on our 2020 Overland (along with Mopar skid and winch guard — winch will be next year). Looks great and seems very solid. It’s pricey but you get LED fog lights (for me this was an upgrade), detachable end caps, and after dealing with some difficult 3rd party installations I appreciated how straight forward the install process was (you actually get torque specs in the instructions!).

Noticed that the left and right interiors of the bumper (along with the wiring harness connections to the fog lights) are not fully enclosed as they were with the plastic bumper. Any thoughts or solutions on covering the interior of the bumper from the rear?
That's sort of bugged my OCD side as well to have those wires now exposed to mud and snow pack and slush that freeze on things until it pulls off trim and other parts around here.
I've had wires ripped from under vehicles and stuff pulled off when our slush and snow pack accumulates to chunks weighing about 5 pounds or so - enough to rip those wires out of place.
I tied the heck out of them but still - it's a place for stuff to accumulate and get to the wires.
Watching to see if there's any sort of answer.
I had thought about making plexiglas pieces that screwed to the back somehow but that might look funky (unless I added lights back there?)

J33p3r_b3ast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ninja
That's sort of bugged my OCD side as well to have those wires now exposed to mud and snow pack and slush that freeze on things until it pulls off trim and other parts around here.
I've had wires ripped from under vehicles and stuff pulled off when our slush and snow pack accumulates to chunks weighing about 5 pounds or so - enough to rip those wires out of place.
I tied the heck out of them but still - it's a place for stuff to accumulate and get to the wires.
I had thought about making plexiglas pieces that screwed to the back somehow but that might look funky (unless I added lights back there?)
Yeah worried about snow and salt especially. Was thinking maybe working with a thin metal sheet (aluminum?)and cutting it to create the proper shape. Something manufactured would be ideal though.

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I just ordered the Rock Hard Patriot full width. bumper. I picked this one because I am going to flat tow my Jeep and I like the way to adapts to that. It was pricy. I looked for a better price on the internet, but I couldn't find a deal. I ended up ordering from Rubitrux in Boone, NC ( https://www.rubitrux.com ) because their shipping was cheapest. I talked to Dillon in the parts department at Rubitrux and he was knowledgeable and helpful.

RKHRH-5045-2.jpg

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a vehicle wiring routing and packaging engineer by trade. Started with GM products (full size trucks, mid size cars ,full size vans, and now for our commercial vehicle group, so I have Cummins engines, John Deere Harverster, Tractors, Self propelled sprayers, Cotton pickers,, Case New Holland combines, and Volvo Mack class 8 trucks). I will be using a multitude of harness coverings when I mount my bumper and run my winch harness.
We make a chassis harness for Mack that is for their Australian vehicles that is bullet proof. Combination of solid abrasion tape, unslit conduit, and Federal Moguel sleeving.
Its damn impressive and pretty much impregnable to dirt, dust, grime, and debris, etc.
Can't have a truck VOR (vehicle off road) that is broken down in the outback with a load of perishable goods spoil.

J33p3r_b3ast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ninja
I'm a vehicle wiring routing and packaging engineer by trade. Started with GM products (full size trucks, mid size cars ,full size vans, and now for our commercial vehicle group, so I have Cummins engines, John Deere Harverster, Tractors, Self propelled sprayers, Cotton pickers,, Case New Holland combines, and Volvo Mack class 8 trucks). I will be using a multitude of harness coverings when I mount my bumper and run my winch harness.
We make a chassis harness for Mack that is for their Australian vehicles that is bullet proof. Combination of solid abrasion tape, unslit conduit, and Federal Moguel sleeving.
Its damn impressive and pretty much impregnable to dirt, dust, grime, and debris, etc.
Can't have a truck VOR (vehicle off road) that is broken down in the outback with a load of perishable goods spoil.
Hey thanks sounds interesting, is there a link or product number for that?
Sponsored