Loose Steering?

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubion "LE"
Second report from dealer. Drove it 28 miles and they don't see a problem. No repair attempted.
dealers are the worse. Once they have your money, they want nothing to do with you unless you paying them
Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
guys try driving 12 hours with the bad steering problems... I will tell you hour 7 - 12 will get super hard...
what is keeping me from buying right now. All my fishing trips are 9 hour round troopers down to the coast and my hunting is pretty much 3 hours each way.

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
Picked it up. They did nothing but maintenance service I requested. Jeep Wave did talk to them but accomplished nothing. They did notate that I replaced the steering stabilizer with an aftermarket one. Implying it was to blame. I'll take it off and put the OE one back on and try another dealer. Not happy.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Picked it up. They did nothing but maintenance service I requested. Jeep Wave did talk to them but accomplished nothing. They did notate that I replaced the steering stabilizer with an aftermarket one. Implying it was to blame. I'll take it off and put the OE one back on and try another dealer. Not happy.
thanks for the info

Punkin Luvin

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin Gladiator S, 2019 Bikini Rubi JL, 1969 Bronco, 1965 Vert Chevelle, 1968 Nova, 1964 Vert Falcon, 1971 Bronco, 1976 FJ40
just bought my JTR on Saturday 9/28. Test drove a couple JTs before hand and both were loose and pretty bad with wander. I had already been reading up on this forum, so checked both and could see they were over inflated and was hoping that with right tire psi that all would be good.

So on Saturday, I buy my JTR! I'm super pumped about getting back to a Jeep since my 13 JKU. Bought from dealer that is 109 miles from my house because they had a great deal. Did most of the purchase over the phone so just showed up with check and signed a few pages. During the wait time, my sales guy said we could take it to go get lunch. I noticed it was little loose then, but only went a few blocks. Get back and finish up then start heading home. Missouri hills on the highway with a little bit of wind!!! FML! I white knuckled it all the way and tried to keep it around 60mph max in 70mph zones.

Got home, exhausted, and after dinner and a mental break I went out aired down to 36psi. Today got up and took family out for a drive with top off. The lower psi seemed to help, but there is still AT LEAST almost 1-2" in play to each side.

I'm really sick to my stomach that my dream truck/Jeep is this bad and I'm nervous to have my kids in it. But I don't want to driver 109 miles back to the dealer I bought it from to have diagnosed. And that's if they can diagnose it and not give me any run around. I have had horrible experiences with dealership service depts. previously. Also, don't want to show up to a local Jeep dealer to have them blow me off cause I didn't buy from them.

@JeepCares any suggestions/help? Seems to be a real issue that hasn't even been slightly addressed since the JLs

Also, pretty sick of the crowd that wants to blame people for not knowing how to drive Jeeps or knowing what we bought. Glad you are not dealing with this. Have owned 3 wranglers and nothing even remotely close to this
Dude, I white knuckled it 800 miles home in the wind, no fun at all. It's all over the place, I have a jl that drives perfectly. Feels like a toe issue to me from past experiences with my Bronco wandering.

Sponsored

NateSamJT20

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR LE - 18 FORD EXPEDITION MAX
Dude, I white knuckled it 800 miles home in the wind, no fun at all. It's all over the place, I have a jl that drives perfectly. Feels like a toe issue to me from past experiences with my Bronco wandering.

have you taken it to dealership or alignment shop? I have the falcon nexus 2.2 and Teraflex alpine IR trackbar getting delivered Monday and am going to put those on then take to alignment shop. if it doesn't get significantly better or completely fixed then I will be taking to dealership.

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
have you taken it to dealership or alignment shop? I have the falcon nexus 2.2 and Teraflex alpine IR trackbar getting delivered Monday and am going to put those on then take to alignment shop. if it doesn't get significantly better or completely fixed then I will be taking to dealership.
Set the nexus’s 2.2 to medium it’s the best setting

please follow up on how the track bar works out.

Also don’t waste money on an alignment shop, do it yourself plenty of good videos online on how to align a Jeep. [Banned Site] is really good

Punkin Luvin

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin Gladiator S, 2019 Bikini Rubi JL, 1969 Bronco, 1965 Vert Chevelle, 1968 Nova, 1964 Vert Falcon, 1971 Bronco, 1976 FJ40
No dealer trip yet, I'm all stock rubi right now, lowered tires to 33lbs and it is better but I can still feel it's desire to be loose, might drop to 31 but there's definitely something out of whack. I am really not wanting to throw any money at it yet. I'll wait to lift until I get it sorted.

NateSamJT20

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No dealer trip yet, I'm all stock rubi right now, lowered tires to 33lbs and it is better but I can still feel it's desire to be loose, might drop to 31 but there's definitely something out of whack. I am really not wanting to throw any money at it yet. I'll wait to lift until I get it sorted.
that's kinda how I feel. Hoping, based on a few others results, that the trackbar and nexus help and/or eliminate the "looseness". But that's all I'm gonna try before taking to dealer

Punkin Luvin

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that's kinda how I feel. Hoping, based on a few others results, that the trackbar and nexus help and/or eliminate the "looseness". But that's all I'm gonna try before taking to dealer
I just hate it when you go in and then they blame it all on you because you changed something yourself. They love to divert responsibility.

Sponsored

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just hate it when you go in and then they blame it all on you because you changed something yourself. They love to divert responsibility.
Plus 1. The dealer didn't blame the aftermarket stabilizer but they implied it as a reason not to work on it. I'm going to reinstall the OE and take it to another dealer. The funny thing is when I dropped the truck off and questioned the service writer about any history dealing with wandering JLs she said oh you need a new steering stablizer!

Punkin Luvin

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plus 1. The dealer didn't blame the aftermarket stabilizer but they implied it as a reason not to work on it. I'm going to reinstall the OE and take it to another dealer. The funny thing is when I dropped the truck off and questioned the service writer about any history dealing with wandering JLs she said oh you need a new steering stablizer!
Even with that, truth of the matter is that the stabilizer just masks issues from camber/caster/toe/bump steer/balance. If everything is truly aligned correctly and working in unison you don't need one. I've been working on classic broncos for 25 years and have first hand run 38s on a well dialed stock style 3 link with no stabilizer needed.

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Even with that, truth of the matter is that the stabilizer just masks issues from camber/caster/toe/bump steer/balance. If everything is truly aligned correctly and working in unison you don't need one. I've been working on classic broncos for 25 years and have first hand run 38s on a well dialed stock style 3 link with no stabilizer needed.
Love the old Broncos! Gotten close many times to buying one. Looking closely at what the new one will be.

I put the stabilizer on to help with the horrible bump steering and add some "weight" to the steering.

NateSamJT20

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well... in the last couple days my steering wheel is now not aligned straight. Just started staying slightly oriented to the left.

I did get the new trackbar and nexus 2.2 installed and while it does seem to have helped slightly, there is still 2 inches of play/slip/looseness in both directions.

guess I’ll be making an appointment with a dealership. Hope they don’t try and screw around with me on the trackbar and steering stabilizer, especially since that seems to be the recommendation or fix from a lot of dealers. At least based on the research I’ve found on the forums

@JeepCares

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well... in the last couple days my steering wheel is now not aligned straight. Just started staying slightly oriented to the left.

I did get the new trackbar and nexus 2.2 installed and while it does seem to have helped slightly, there is still 2 inches of play/slip/looseness in both directions.

guess I’ll be making an appointment with a dealership. Hope they don’t try and screw around with me on the trackbar and steering stabilizer, especially since that seems to be the recommendation or fix from a lot of dealers. At least based on the research I’ve found on the forums

@JeepCares
The steering not being straight is a very easy fix by adjusting the drag link. Will take all of a Few mins
Sponsored