William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Would one for a 2018 Wrangler work in my Max Tow?
Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
To answer your question... I think no. Isn't the max tow 4.1 and the Trac-Lok Anti-Spin only 3.73?

I recommend you not. The Trac-Lok Anti-Spin Diff is a clutch pack based LSD and the clutches wear out every 30,000 - 80,000 miles and it just becames an open diff until you replace the clutches.

If you're spending the time and money to change your diff, you sould get a real Torque Sensing LSD

"A geared limited slip differential is a torque-sensitive mechanical LSD that does not have cones or clutches. It uses helical worm (or spur) gears that press against the carrier and create friction to inhibit wheel spin. The torque-biasing is only applied to the more slowly spinning wheel when needed and otherwise remains in an “open” position. You could consider this type an automatic limited slip. Because gear-driven limited slips only bias torque when needed, they do no create any binding like a clutch-type LSD or a locker possibly could, so they can be used in front ends with no negative impact."
-from here, my source

A clutch pack lsd will only lock if both wheels are on the ground and one is slipping... once one wheel is in the air it won't lock up.

A Torque Sensing LSD (TorSen), will do the same thing... lock when one wheel is slipping, but when you have one wheel in the air you can pump your hand brake and the diff will lock (TorSen diff is what a hummer has and pumping the handbrake is what they teach you in military or humvee driving school)

I have a TorSen LSD in my Miata, 4.1 Ratio. As long as it has torque... +4000rpms (car revs to 7500) my rear wheels are locked and I have a drift missile. I never have to replace clutch packs, I just change my diff oil every 3rd oil change.

misplacetexan

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Billet Silver Sport S/Max Tow Package
Occupation
Law enforcement
I had the Eaton Detroit TrueTrac on my 2011 JKU. Waiting on Eaton to start manufacturing them for the Gladiator

OP
OP
Murgatroid

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
To answer your question... I think no. Isn't the max tow 4.1 and the Trac-Lok Anti-Spin only 3.73?

I recommend you not. The Trac-Lok Anti-Spin Diff is a clutch pack based LSD and the clutches wear out every 30,000 - 80,000 miles and it just becames an open diff until you replace the clutches.

If you're spending the time and money to change your diff, you sould get a real Torque Sensing LSD

"A geared limited slip differential is a torque-sensitive mechanical LSD that does not have cones or clutches. It uses helical worm (or spur) gears that press against the carrier and create friction to inhibit wheel spin. The torque-biasing is only applied to the more slowly spinning wheel when needed and otherwise remains in an “open” position. You could consider this type an automatic limited slip. Because gear-driven limited slips only bias torque when needed, they do no create any binding like a clutch-type LSD or a locker possibly could, so they can be used in front ends with no negative impact."
-from here, my source

A clutch pack lsd will only lock if both wheels are on the ground and one is slipping... once one wheel is in the air it won't lock up.

A Torque Sensing LSD (TorSen), will do the same thing... lock when one wheel is slipping, but when you have one wheel in the air you can pump your hand brake and the diff will lock (TorSen diff is what a hummer has and pumping the handbrake is what they teach you in military or humvee driving school)

I have a TorSen LSD in my Miata, 4.1 Ratio. As long as it has torque... +4000rpms (car revs to 7500) my rear wheels are locked and I have a drift missile. I never have to replace clutch packs, I just change my diff oil every 3rd oil change.
Thanks for that info. I was only familiar with the latter type, did not realize there were different types. What is the advantage of the current Jeeps, does it work with the electronic type traction control better?

Otter155

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT, 2007 JKU, 2001 TJ
Build Thread
Link
I'm not sure what you mean by electronic type traction control, if you mean the brake assist; but I can give comment on my current setup.

I have a JKU with tru-tracs front and rear, they are great when all 4 wheels are touching the ground, make driving in inclement weather better than having a selectable locker. The tru-trac is purely mechanical, no pads as mentioned above, which means no parts to wear out.

The biggest disadvantage I have compared to a Jeep with lockers is when one wheel is up in the air, that is where lockers really shine. My wife's TJ has lockers, but on the trail, I would put my rig against hers any day. Some of that has to do with my comfort as a driver vs her; which means how I choose my lines etc., or situations I know my Jeep can handle. So I try to limit having one wheel in the air, which makes my tru-tracs just as good as lockers for my trips.

The tru-trac comes in it's own housing; where a lunchbox locker uses the housing of the original rig, and simply replaces the open spider gears. Selectable lockers also have their own housings that are used. I've installed tru-tracs and the lunchbox kind. Typically for a front anything is fine, I would not put a lunchbox in the rear of my Jeep, but do have the tru-trac like I said. Putting a selectable in the rear is ok as well, because it's an open differential for daily driving.

All of these "lockers" will work with the brake assisted traction control.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Murgatroid

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure what you mean by electronic type traction control, if you mean the brake assist; but I can give comment on my current setup.

I have a JKU with tru-tracs front and rear, they are great when all 4 wheels are touching the ground, make driving in inclement weather better than having a selectable locker. The tru-trac is purely mechanical, no pads as mentioned above, which means no parts to wear out.

The biggest disadvantage I have compared to a Jeep with lockers is when one wheel is up in the air, that is where lockers really shine. My wife's TJ has lockers, but on the trail, I would put my rig against hers any day. Some of that has to do with my comfort as a driver vs her; which means how I choose my lines etc., or situations I know my Jeep can handle. So I try to limit having one wheel in the air, which makes my tru-tracs just as good as lockers for my trips.

The tru-trac comes in it's own housing; where a lunchbox locker uses the housing of the original rig, and simply replaces the open spider gears. Selectable lockers also have their own housings that are used. I've installed tru-tracs and the lunchbox kind. Typically for a front anything is fine, I would not put a lunchbox in the rear of my Jeep, but do have the tru-trac like I said. Putting a selectable in the rear is ok as well, because it's an open differential for daily driving.

All of these "lockers" will work with the brake assisted traction control.
Sounds like tru-tracs would be what I want since I doubt I will ever get a wheel off the ground, more for traction in snow up our driveway and at boat launch ramps.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Sounds like tru-tracs would be what I want since I doubt I will ever get a wheel off the ground, more for traction in snow up our driveway and at boat launch ramps.
Two foot driving slow in snow or up a boat ramp works just as well as the factory trac lock

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I had the Eaton Detroit TrueTrac on my 2011 JKU. Waiting on Eaton to start manufacturing them for the Gladiator
Is that a real TorSen LSD?

Thanks for that info. I was only familiar with the latter type, did not realize there were different types. What is the advantage of the current Jeeps, does it work with the electronic type traction control better?
Yes, a clutch pack LSD is a bit better than the brake lock differential (the standard open diff that the computer stops a spinning wheel with br8s)

Two foot driving slow in snow or up a boat ramp works just as well as the factory trac lock
Truth ^

@Murgatroid wait until you actually encounter a situation where you need a rear locker, until it's nessicary, then get the Eaton locker or a selectable locker (what the Rubion has) for your rear. For now save your money or make extra payments on your gladiator.

AngelArmorNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tundra Crewmax, Indian Springfield Dark Horse
I feel like all jeeps should have a rear locker. Sure the rubi and other off road trims should have front and rear and sway bars an crawl control etc but any vehicle with off road in mind at all should at least have a rear locker. Feels like a miss from jeep. I mean it isnt even an option for us!

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I feel like all jeeps should have a rear locker. Sure the rubi and other off road trims should have front and rear and sway bars an crawl control etc but any vehicle with off road in mind at all should at least have a rear locker. Feels like a miss from jeep. I mean it isnt even an option for us!
The Max Tow is now coming with the Tru Trac or whatever it is, but it's just something you have to service every 30k miles. I've never felt under equipped not having lockers on the JK or my new JT. The BLD system does a pretty decent job when you get a wheel in the air and even friends of mine with Rubicons who actually wheel say they rarely use lockers and it's usually just to justify what they paid.lol These Jeeps are pretty capable even without lockers.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The Max Tow is now coming with the Tru Trac or whatever it is, but it's just something you have to service every 30k miles. I've never felt under equipped not having lockers on the JK or my new JT. The BLD system does a pretty decent job when you get a wheel in the air and even friends of mine with Rubicons who actually wheel say they rarely use lockers and it's usually just to justify what they paid.lol These Jeeps are pretty capable even without lockers.
yes, Actually, a cheaper "manual sway bar disconnect" kit will keep all four wheels on the ground better and help negate the need for a rear locker.... All the new IFS 4WD vehicles have rear lockers or limited slip because they always have one wheel up in the air - ie. no articulation, so, the rear locker is needed more.

Keeping all 4 wheels on the ground and turning back and forth slightly on the steering wheel will help keep all 4 wheels turning without lockers.

OP
OP
Murgatroid

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the 70's I had a Pontiac with a limited slip differential that I don't ever remember having to service.

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Back in the 70's I had a Pontiac with a limited slip differential that I don't ever remember having to service.
You weren't routinely getting a wheel in the air either. These LSD systems have clutch pads and they do wear out. Once they do you basically have a open diff.

OP
OP
Murgatroid

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
You weren't routinely getting a wheel in the air either. These LSD systems have clutch pads and they do wear out. Once they do you basically have a open diff.
I was under the impression that not all had clutches, like the old school posi-track on the Pontiac.
Sponsored