Diamondback HD

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
So I just got my Sting Gray Rubicon from Travis 9 days ago and have done a lot to it already I feel like. My prior truck had a Diamondback SE with a capacity of 400lbs. I loved the DB, it worked great and still looked new after almost 3 years. Planning for future possible hobbies and additions I am thinking that I need the HD version which has a capacity of 1600lbs. People carry ATVs on them.

Looking around I see that the DB offers a wide range of addons and configurations for whatever activity you are planning for. They sell ladder rack attachments for ladders or whatever. Then at the very least, without anything put on you have a strong ass tonneau cover. I feel like this is the best option for me, and probably many of you guys?

Check out these pics I found on Google ('diamondback cover rack').

The last one is of particular interest because you can have just the bare cover to keep it clean and simple when not needing the rack. I did a search on the attachment to the cleats and believe I found the part, made by Thule. Amazon ASIN B00027ESJU.

Using Thule's foot mounts would let me put cross bars for bikes, a tent, storage rack, etc etc. It seems to be the most versatile option.

But not the cheapest. The Diamondback HD is over $2000 for the black line-x cover. It does have a lifetime warranty, which I know very, very few others offer. And it's secure and sturdy as hell. So I guess it would be worth it. Those Thule foot mounts are $200 per pair on Amazon. Then all the cross bars and special attachments to whatever you need. I guess if you figure it all out it's not too expensive?

In the meantime I installed the Colorado cover that lots of you guys are using. It works fine and looks sharp, installation was okay. Getting the brackets was a bit of a bitch. Just doesn't have the safety and features the DB would have so just making due til then.

What covers are you guys mulling over? Any concerns or suggestions? Is there a better cover for camping, biking, and off-roading? Maybe I just thought there would be more discussion or reviews and pics about these.

dbbike.jpg

dbrtt.jpg

dbbike rack.jpg

dbrrtt.jpg
Sponsored

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
I've been seriously looking at this cover too (the HD).

Just a couple thoughts I've had:

Just because the cover is good for 1,600 pounds, doesn't mean that the bed is. I've seen other posts saying gladiator is only good for 250 lbs per bed side. Granted this cover shares the load across all 4 sides, hopefully.

Secondly, I think if I was going to put a tent on it, I'd just go right on top of the cover. Other than additional storage, putting it on the rack doesn't offer much advantages. Either way you can't open the cover.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Arborist
Ps- I agree 2000 dollars seems awful steep for a 5' bed.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
i was set on getting a DB 270, but the factory told me they have no plans to make them. :( The 2-door design looks great, but I am not sure the front door will open up high enough to suit me = needs to be near 90 degrees & from what I can tell it is way shy of that. Hopefully someone else will get one & post some good pics.
As for the HD, I would think that the weight being spread out would help but iā€™d be ā€˜fraid to put anywhere near 1,600# on there-

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I canā€™t help but think the Diamondback SE model with a couple of extra sets of cleats would be a better dealā€”especially given that 1600lbs is going to exceed your load capacity.

Lets say your load capacity is 1100-1200lbs, the HD cover alone adds 105lbs, add yourself and a passenger ~300lbs, and youā€™re already down to 700-800lbs of capacity for whatever you are loading in the bed or on top of the cover.

Iā€™m sure there are times when you might want to load an entire pallet of cement bags on top of the HD cover, but your truckā€™s capacity is limiting you to only 10 80lb bags with all of the above.

And while the cover could handle 20 evenly distributed bags, the truck wonā€™t.

I think 400lbs is plenty for most roof top tents/kayaks/bikes/etc.

If you are hauling an ATV which exceeds the weight rating for the SE cover, but is within the range of the truckā€™s capacity, then I suppose HD is your best bet. Short of regularly requiring an 800lbs load which would need to be on top of the cover, I think the SE makes more sense (and is marginally lighter).

Sponsored

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Arborist
It is only a difference of 35 lbs of weight between the two, and $300 (till you get 8 cleats to match) . But it goes from 400 lbs capacity to 1600 lbs. I just rather be safe than sorry (if I throw a tent with 2 people and 2 dogs, maybe...or plywood etc on it)

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I was interested in the diamondback, but 1650-2050 for the cover is very pricey. An alternative is the ACE Engineering cover for about $1000 less. It's got a frame around the edge that can be used to connect standard racks/crossbars. Plus it's waterproof.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
I was interested in the diamondback, but 1650-2050 for the cover is very pricey. An alternative is the ACE Engineering cover for about $1000 less. It's got a frame around the edge that can be used to connect standard racks/crossbars. Plus it's waterproof.
You have a link?

Sponsored

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How is it not a tonneau cover? Just curious as to why it's not one. It meets the same standard that the Diamondback appears to: metal cover that drops into the bed, protecting what's in there. It locks, includes gas shocks for lifting it, and Ace Engineering calls it a tonneau cover.

OP
OP
noside85

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
That thing looks pretty damn sharp. I wonder how it compares to the DB as far as removal, warranty, strength.

One other thing is that it would be harder to reach stuff all the way the back towards the cab with the Ace than the Diamondback. I liked being able to load/unload firewood that's all the way up.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm waffling now. The install video for ACE engineering has it drilling holes in the bed. Not a huge fan of that, so I'm studying the diamondback as well. Now I need detail / cost model on how to get the racks onto the clamps. Drilling holes in the tonneau is better than the bed.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Iā€™ve had the HD on mine for about a month now and like it. The thing I donā€™t like is how the gladiator bed caps react to the mounting brackets. They are hollow and squish in. You can see in this picture that the middle piece is a bit crooked. Iā€™ve been considering 3d printing something to fill the ā€œair spaceā€ so the clamp can tighten down more safely.
dRVV4-DzLHYRKy8SaBxu9zT4QRTnMnwYsjHtDa4Nx84DFMKOseJV6PH_07g?width=3024&height=4032&cropmode=none.jpg
Sponsored