SOCAL Gladiator meet/trail run

Wayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Initial Launch Jeep Gladiator
How many of us SOCAL Gladiator owners will be keen to organize a local meetup for a trail run? Nothing hardcore just get out there and enjoy our rigs. Open to all Jeep Owners.
I'm certainly game. I've taken my Launch Edition to the Anza Burrego Dessert for her madden voyage and to Arrowhead on my second journey where I scratched my rock guard on a boulder navigating a rock creek. So now that's over, maybe now I can stop being so obsessive her being so pristine. Work, family matters and honey do's have kept me from further adventures, but I'm itching to get back out. Biggest obstacle is basically having to redress my garage to accommodate the Gladiator since I've been parking my wife's car in the driveway so the G can be warm and safe. I'm sure you understand.
Sponsored

willjtl

First Name
william
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Gladiator rubicons launch edition
Occupation
Sales professional
Vehicle Showcase
Plan to drive to Grand Canyon on October 20th and stay for one night , who is down for Grand Canyon

OP
OP
willemlock

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 1998 TJ 1947, CJ2-A Willys
Plan to drive to Grand Canyon on October 20th and stay for one night , who is down for Grand Canyon
I’m actually planning that trip for the Thanks Giving week. I’d love to do Schnebly Hill Road in Sedona at the same time if it’s not been shut due to snow.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Had a blast today but our group was just too big. I was the only Gladiator but in total we had 24 Jeeps that attended. After 7 hours on Holcomb Creek there was no end in sight so we decided to turn around and back track.

20190728_211907536_iOS.jpg

20190729_052357512_iOS.jpg

20190729_052357555_iOS.jpg

Front_Rocks.jpg

Jeep_Convoy.jpg

Looks like fun but 24 JEEPS is way too many IMO. Lots of waiting and waiting and...more waiting

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Easy dirt road leading into Joshua Tree National Park from Desert Hot Springs. If we get started early enough, we won't feel too uncomfortable and can reach the higher elevations before noon.

The alternate side routes can be challenging - especially without locking differentials. Very low chance of body scratches.

Joshua Tree is, from my experience, not challenging at all. It's a nice area but not the best for off roading IMO. There are other, far more enjoyable trails in SoCal. I'd do Death Valley all day long and twice on Sunday - but just don't do it alone and/or unprepared. One of the most awesome places in SoCal is Anza-Borrego Desert State Park - it's an incredible place with many, many great trails including open washes. Truckhaven area has some technical trails - plenty of choices and town is nearby.

Also in the area is Ocotillo Wells - a terrific place BUT it's also open to off road (non highway) vehicles so you'll see lots of kids on ATVs and bikes and SxS's - you'll have to watch out for them. A-B Desert State Park is adjacent to it and non-street legal vehicles are not allowed there so there is a lot less off road traffic to worry about.

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I'll be in Joshua Tree the weekend of the 19th.
Wife wants to get a hotel that Saturday night - likely near 29 Palms/Joshua Tree.

I'm open to leading an easy run at Joshua Tree and if someone wants to lead a more challenging run, then someone should step up and start the planning. Let's get something set up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
willemlock

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll be in Joshua Tree the weekend of the 19th.
Wife wants to get a hotel that Saturday night - likely near 29 Palms/Joshua Tree.

I'm open to leading an easy run at Joshua Tree and if someone wants to lead a more challenging run, then someone should step up and start the planning. Let's get something set up.
I have my daughters birthday party planned for that weekend unfortunately. Would have been awesome. I managed to meet up with @RayBo awesome guy. We should organize a meet sometime.

OP
OP
willemlock

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m planning to run Pinyon Mountain this weekend. I know I won’t fit through the Squeeze but will see how much the Glady can do. Anyone keen to join are welcome but I take no responsibility for damage lol.

Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I have my daughters birthday party planned for that weekend unfortunately. Would have been awesome. I managed to meet up with @RayBo awesome guy. We should organize a meet sometime.
A simple meet and greet at a restaurant parking lot closer to the L.A./O.C. area might be a good idea in the meantime before doing an actual run. I did the same back in 2004 when I cofounded the Rubicon Owners Club. This vehicle has the same level of excitement (and scorn) of the original TJ Rubicon. It's funny (figuratively and literally) how history repeats itself!

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m planning to run Pinyon Mountain this weekend. I know I won’t fit through the Squeeze but will see how much the Glady can do. Anyone keen to join are welcome but I take no responsibility for damage lol.

Let us know how it goes there

https://www.sd4wheel.com/events/pinyon-mountain-run/

Here's a trail map for Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, the largest state park in California:
https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/abdsp_Park_Map201704.pdf

OP
OP
willemlock

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This still a thing?
There have been a few meetups and runs that we organized but since covid we have kept it to limited groups/people to do our part in social distancing. We head up to Big Bear quite often and just completed the Bradshaw trail with 3 Gladiators. Hopefully Big Bear opens today or soon so we can get out that way again to escape the heat. During winter months we will be down Anza and Joshua Tree more as the colder weather permits more desert runs and camps. Summer times its all about the mountains. I am super excited for snow season and get out wheeling in the snow again.

GRAVLER

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
There have been a few meetups and runs that we organized but since covid we have kept it to limited groups/people to do our part in social distancing. We head up to Big Bear quite often and just completed the Bradshaw trail with 3 Gladiators. Hopefully Big Bear opens today or soon so we can get out that way again to escape the heat. During winter months we will be down Anza and Joshua Tree more as the colder weather permits more desert runs and camps. Summer times its all about the mountains. I am super excited for snow season and get out wheeling in the snow again.
Nice, yea i'll be on the lookout. We've been doing our part to social distance since my wife and I are due to have our first child in November so count me in if anything gets scheduled.
Sponsored