First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rme4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1948 Willys CJ2a
Made my annual Fall Colors Tour, but went solo this year.... the wife wasn't feeling good and even after inviting local friends, nobody could go. Oh well!

I started out in Marble, CO and drove up to Lead King Basin.... this is such a beautiful area, doesn't get much attention due to the Crystal Mill. On the way up there was a HUGE avalanche path with massive downed pine trees. At one point it blocked the trail, but someone cleared a path thru the debris. I can't imagine how much work that was, there were places where the was still snowpack and the debris was well over 8' deep. The path was wide as well.

i-5TKSV3H-L.jpg

i-3VwbzRn-L.jpg

I climbed the steep switchbacks and traversed the road at pretty high elevation. The colors were beautiful, some of the mountains surrounding the valley still had snow on them from last winter. The road up Lead King doesn't stay high for very long, I dropped back down more switchbacks and worked my way down to the main road (Schofield Pass) and then drove down to the Crystal Mill. The Mill is Colorado's most photographed structure, it's beautiful.... but these days, it's packed. The land owners have but up a cable fence, there are signs posted saying 'no drones' and they have 'guards' on site to make sure you follow their rules. On top of that, it was stupid busy while I was there, probably 15-20 vehicles and hardly any more room to park. I took a few pics and got out of there, but not before some random guy had his photo taken while he stood next to the Gladiator!
upload_2019-10-9_18-53-48.gif

i-ttTjbqN-L.jpg

i-svBhCsx-L.jpg

i-gXMFvNF-L.jpg

i-KGVdHxf-L.jpg

i-8sbnsXW-L.jpg

I headed back uphill to Schofield Pass, proper. Schofield is steep, rocky, off camber and has a few large rocks placed in tight spots. There was a brand new JLU Rubicon on 35's right ahead of me also going up, but fortunately the hardest part of the trail was pretty quiet. There is one spot with a massive boulder on the cliff side of the trail, I watched the JLU drag his rear tire right on the sidewall as he tried to squeeze by. I was worried about the longer Gladiator, so I put my front tire ON the rock and drove over it. My rock slider got dragged pretty hard, but I made it over just fine. Once you get out of the Devils Punchbowl, the trail continues to be narrow. I ran into a few vehicles and we had to get pretty creative to get past each other.

i-pnRzKv2-L.jpg

i-Ftz242M-L.jpg

i-FqwMb4r-L.jpg

i-4kCdtFM-L.jpg

Once out, I continued on to Crested Butte and over to Kebler Pass. Kebler is a graded dirt road and it was BUSY.... all kinds of #Subaru & #VanLife folk out & about. The colors were good, there is one stand of trees that's my favorite as it usually has some killer Red & Orange trees in it, but it has been better in years past. Matter of fact, I think the colors were pretty bland this year, compared to years before. I was ready to be done with all the traffic, so I buzzed down the road and back to pavement, then on home. It was a good trip, would have been better with company along for the ride and less people on the roads.

i-WRsWkHm-L.jpg

i-XqBBNqL-L.jpg

i-J3J5kGz-L.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeepincb

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon
Thanks for the great pics and description of your tour. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the area, the stunning views, and the solitude (most of the time). We live in Colorado Springs and have a cabin in the Gunnison forest about 9 miles out of Crested Butte. My wife and I spend much of the summer there and enjoy the Colorado back country. In April I ordered a JT Rubicon. I thought I would get delivery sooner that I did so I sold my JKU Rubi in June. I am going to pick up my new JT tomorrow. Apparently some options were back-ordered - so we missed the summer and fall this year - bummer. Your pics help! I think I know of the spot you referenced where the red color is amazing (near Horse Ranch Park). I will see if I can find a pic and attach it. Thanks for this posting and, YES, I agree Colorado is full! Hope to see you on the trail!
DSCN0271.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Colorado is at 100% capacity, unfortunately....

:LOL:
I spent a week in Boulder for work and visited some friends in Denver. Stunning out there, but everyone says the same! I’m hoping to talk the wife into Wyoming or Montana one day..... oh to dream.

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
That was beautiful, just beautiful! Thanks for sharing that.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Tell me about those fender flares. Did you trim the factory ones or are those aftermarket?

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible

We welcome you in Utah. Sure our liquor laws are insane and our politics are controlled by an obscure religious institution, but we have trails for days.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Greg@RME

Greg@RME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rme4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Looks like an amazing trip! Beautiful pictures!
Thanks Rob, glad you enjoyed them!

That was beautiful, just beautiful! Thanks for sharing that.
Happy to share!

Tell me about those fender flares. Did you trim the factory ones or are those aftermarket?
The inner fenders are LED turn signal are both from American Adventure Labs. For the inner fenders, you strip out the factory inner fenders, gaining 3" more clearance and leave the outer shell in place. It's a neat, simple change that really helps fit a larger tire without much lift.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

So is Idaho ;)

OT ... do you think you can fit a Raptor on your trip? Looks tight but the guys from TFL had a Raptor follow them over Black Bear Pass. I'm still debating on a Raptor or JT Diesel.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Made my annual Fall Colors Tour, but went solo this year.... the wife wasn't feeling good and even after inviting local friends, nobody could go. Oh well!

I started out in Marble, CO and drove up to Lead King Basin.... this is such a beautiful area, doesn't get much attention due to the Crystal Mill. On the way up there was a HUGE avalanche path with massive downed pine trees. At one point it blocked the trail, but someone cleared a path thru the debris. I can't imagine how much work that was, there were places where the was still snowpack and the debris was well over 8' deep. The path was wide as well.

i-5TKSV3H-L.jpg

i-3VwbzRn-L.jpg

I climbed the steep switchbacks and traversed the road at pretty high elevation. The colors were beautiful, some of the mountains surrounding the valley still had snow on them from last winter. The road up Lead King doesn't stay high for very long, I dropped back down more switchbacks and worked my way down to the main road (Schofield Pass) and then drove down to the Crystal Mill. The Mill is Colorado's most photographed structure, it's beautiful.... but these days, it's packed. The land owners have but up a cable fence, there are signs posted saying 'no drones' and they have 'guards' on site to make sure you follow their rules. On top of that, it was stupid busy while I was there, probably 15-20 vehicles and hardly any more room to park. I took a few pics and got out of there, but not before some random guy had his photo taken while he stood next to the Gladiator!
upload_2019-10-9_18-53-48.gif

i-ttTjbqN-L.jpg

i-svBhCsx-L.jpg

i-gXMFvNF-L.jpg

i-KGVdHxf-L.jpg

i-8sbnsXW-L.jpg

I headed back uphill to Schofield Pass, proper. Schofield is steep, rocky, off camber and has a few large rocks placed in tight spots. There was a brand new JLU Rubicon on 35's right ahead of me also going up, but fortunately the hardest part of the trail was pretty quiet. There is one spot with a massive boulder on the cliff side of the trail, I watched the JLU drag his rear tire right on the sidewall as he tried to squeeze by. I was worried about the longer Gladiator, so I put my front tire ON the rock and drove over it. My rock slider got dragged pretty hard, but I made it over just fine. Once you get out of the Devils Punchbowl, the trail continues to be narrow. I ran into a few vehicles and we had to get pretty creative to get past each other.

i-pnRzKv2-L.jpg

i-Ftz242M-L.jpg

i-FqwMb4r-L.jpg

i-4kCdtFM-L.jpg

Once out, I continued on to Crested Butte and over to Kebler Pass. Kebler is a graded dirt road and it was BUSY.... all kinds of #Subaru & #VanLife folk out & about. The colors were good, there is one stand of trees that's my favorite as it usually has some killer Red & Orange trees in it, but it has been better in years past. Matter of fact, I think the colors were pretty bland this year, compared to years before. I was ready to be done with all the traffic, so I buzzed down the road and back to pavement, then on home. It was a good trip, would have been better with company along for the ride and less people on the roads.

i-WRsWkHm-L.jpg

i-XqBBNqL-L.jpg

i-J3J5kGz-L.jpg
Thanks for sharing! Beautiful pics, awesome country.

OP
OP
Greg@RME

Greg@RME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rme4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
So is Idaho ;)

OT ... do you think you can fit a Raptor on your trip? Looks tight but the guys from TFL had a Raptor follow them over Black Bear Pass. I'm still debating on a Raptor or JT Diesel.
My wife has a '15 F150 and it's pretty wide compared to the Gladiator... then you make it even wider with the Raptor suspension & wide fenders and it takes up a lot of trail. A Raptor would be pretty tight in a few places on Schofield, especially the spot where I climbed over the rock. IMO a Raptor would struggle to climb the rock due to the IFS and if you tried to drive around it, I could see the cab & bed taking a LOT of damage.

They're 2 very different trucks... both neat in their own regard, but they both do one thing better than the other. IMO buy the Raptor if you're going to be out in the wide open, bombing around. Buy the Gladiator if you're going slow, climbing rough trails.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Thanks for this, OP Greg!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.