Sponsored

Engine Ticking Sound

Louhound88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hello everyone, i need help easing my min .

I have a 3 week old gladiator that has had a slight ticking sound since the beginning. You can only hear it when the hood is open, and it basically sounds like a lifter.

I haven't had a V6 engine in a while so I dont know if this is normal. Also have never owned a Jeep or this 3.6 motor either.

It has oil, though maybe could use more? Temp and pressure is fine, and no other issues.

Just this noise reminds me of a time when i ran an old Kia without enough oil about 15 years ago. Doesnt sound near as bad, but its bringing back the nightmares.

Can you guys tell me if you hear the lifter sound with hood up? I have a video i will try to post in a few.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If the dipstick shows it full of oil, checked when cold and level, with no oil leaks on the driveway, and you can only hear it when the hood is open, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
Could be a loud injector. Does it change with the rpm? Does it go away above idle? May be a lifter that isn’t pumped up all the way. Regardless I wouldn’t sweat it unless it gets worse.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The Pentastar 3.6 is an overhead cam engine, with roller rockers. It does have a history of roller failures, which present themselves as a “tick”. If so, it will get worse, then subside as the cam lobe is worn away. I’ve experienced one each on a 2013 JK and a 2015 JK. If caught early, it’s an easy fix (under warranty or otherwise). It’s literally $11 worth of parts. If this is your issue, and it’s left too long, it will destroy the associated cam lobe. Hopefully this is not your case. Good luck.

Last edited:

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Hello everyone, i need help easing my min .

I have a 3 week old gladiator that has had a slight ticking sound since the beginning. You can only hear it when the hood is open, and it basically sounds like a lifter.

I haven't had a V6 engine in a while so I dont know if this is normal. Also have never owned a Jeep or this 3.6 motor either.

It has oil, though maybe could use more? Temp and pressure is fine, and no other issues.

Just this noise reminds me of a time when i ran an old Kia without enough oil about 15 years ago. Doesnt sound near as bad, but its bringing back the nightmares.

Can you guys tell me if you hear the lifter sound with hood up? I have a video i will try to post in a few.
The same noise started in my Gladiator around 1700 miles. It's a tick most of the time but when i'm accelerating it sounds more like a loud rap. Gets loud and faster around 2500 RPM's and drops when the tranny shifts. The higher the RPM's the louder and faster the rap. Had it to the dealer, they said they can hear it but have no clue what it was. They said they drove a new one and a similar tick was there too but not the loud rap. Sent me home and said let them know if it gets worse. Not really happy at all. When i got the truck it idled smooth as glass and was so quiet i had to check the tac to see if it was still running. To me, sound like a bad motor. It has no engine lights on though. Anyone with any ideas. I'm already smelling an expensive Lemon.

Sponsored

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The same noise started in my Gladiator around 1700 miles. It's a tick most of the time but when i'm accelerating it sounds more like a loud rap. Gets loud and faster around 2500 RPM's and drops when the tranny shifts. The higher the RPM's the louder and faster the rap. Had it to the dealer, they said they can hear it but have no clue what it was. They said they drove a new one and a similar tick was there too but not the loud rap. Sent me home and said let them know if it gets worse. Not really happy at all. When i got the truck it idled smooth as glass and was so quiet i had to check the tac to see if it was still running. To me, sound like a bad motor. It has no engine lights on though. Anyone with any ideas. I'm already smelling an expensive Lemon.

Captain Muskie

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 JLUS
Occupation
Steelworker
Hey ihcdave look for my thread in the issues section on page 6.sounds similar to the problem i had.have your dealer change your oil and check the filter and drain plug magnet for alot of metal pieces.

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Was your Jeep making the same noises too? I'm already thinking I need a new motor.

Tonyzak36

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Before purchasing my Gladiator last month I had a 2017 JKU for 4 years. 45k miles and the entire time I had it it had an extremely loud “Ticking noise” to the point people would point it out to me and say I need to get it looked at. Had it to the dealer quite a few times and got the “heh, that’s the ole 3.6 tick! It’s normal!” Would sound like a diesel, in talking to many other 3.6 Wrangler owners, they too say theirs had a loud ticking. I’m not sure of the upgrades they made to the 3.6 between my 17 JKU and the 20-21 gladiators. But, may just be that tick the 3.6s are known for. A quick visit to the dealership to confirm may be in order to ease your nerves. Never hurts if you have the time.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Before purchasing my Gladiator last month I had a 2017 JKU for 4 years. 45k miles and the entire time I had it it had an extremely loud “Ticking noise” to the point people would point it out to me and say I need to get it looked at. Had it to the dealer quite a few times and got the “heh, that’s the ole 3.6 tick! It’s normal!” Would sound like a diesel, in talking to many other 3.6 Wrangler owners, they too say theirs had a loud ticking. I’m not sure of the upgrades they made to the 3.6 between my 17 JKU and the 20-21 gladiators. But, may just be that tick the 3.6s are known for. A quick visit to the dealership to confirm may be in order to ease your nerves. Never hurts if you have the time.
Or he may get the same response you did from your dealer with the JK. Jeep techs were very inconsistent in diagnosing the JK lifter/rocker tick, and at times would diagnose them as a “bad head” instead of just replacing the $11 bad part...

Sponsored

Tonyzak36

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Or he may get the same response you did from your dealer with the JK. Jeep techs were very inconsistent in diagnosing the JK lifter/rocker tick, and at times would diagnose them as a “bad head” instead of just replacing the $11 bad part...
Also very true. At the very least, you will have a paper trail at the dealer that this is something you attempted to get fixed. Haven’t noticed it on my gladiator yet (knock on wood). However, may be more aggressive and persistent at the dealer if this truly is an issue and not just a characteristic of the 3.6. Never left me stranded or failed to start in the 45k miles I had the tick. For what that’s worth...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Also very true. At the very least, you will have a paper trail at the dealer that this is something you attempted to get fixed. Haven’t noticed it on my gladiator yet (knock on wood). However, may be more aggressive and persistent at the dealer if this truly is an issue and not just a characteristic of the 3.6. Never left me stranded or failed to start in the 45k miles I had the tick. For what that’s worth...
I’ve done the ticking lifter repair on 2 JKs. It’s an easy fix if not left too long. If not corrected, it will destroy the cam lobe.

Tonyzak36

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I’ve done the ticking lifter repair on 2 JKs. It’s an easy fix if not left too long. If not corrected, it will destroy the cam lobe.
Is the ticking noise always indicative of this issue? Are their benign ticks as the dealer had led me to believe? Or, are all ticks in the 3.6 related to an issue?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Is the ticking noise always indicative of this issue? Are their benign ticks as the dealer had led me to believe? Or, are all ticks in the 3.6 related to an issue?
I can’t say what all ticks are, just my experience with the 2 JKs I had with the 3.6. One had 144k miles, and the other had 70k. The damage was worse on the one with 70k.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
I had a ticking lifter sound on my 5.0 Ford Coyote motor in my F150. My mechanic neighbor asked me what oil filter I was using. I had a Fram on it. He said the Motorcraft filters had an extra channel in them and I should switch back to OEM. The problem went away after I got rid of the cheap filter. Maybe you could be having the same issue. What oil filter are you using?
Sponsored