Recovery gear in jt.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Sorry that post made little sense. Ive got a cold and im on dayquil and I am acting crazy. Was that dayquil?
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
No, it makes sense in its own way.

the easiest way to learn to unstuck is to get it progressively stuck on purpose. It’s like learning to drive in snow, the only way to do it is to do it.

find a safe place to play with a winch and the rigging, and just pull it around. Then drop the tire pressure to 10 pounds and pull again, notice it takes a lot longer. All about baby steps.

I find it helps to have a notebook to make a master list of sheave setups etc, see something interesting? Sketch it quick. To me it’s more important to have the data at hand than to remember it all under stress.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
What do you carry on the trail? I carry:
4 or more 3/4 shackles
2 tree savers
1 30,000 lb recovery strap 30 feet long
Snatch block
1 30 foot grade 8 chain with hooks
2 15 foot grade 8 chains with hooks
Jumper cables
Axe, d handle shovel, pick
Bow saw
2 1/2 ton floor Jack
Lots of zip ties in different sizes
A large wood block
Gloves good gloves
Assorted tools and wrenches
Flash light
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher
If on a long trip a light chain saw, fuel, oil
plus other equipment

l
Payload on my Rubi would be down to 600#’s with all that stuff!

OP
OP

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I do over landing and at times I am 80 miles in the desert, if you ever been ass deep in sand or hung up on a ledge you quickly to find a D handle shovel and a mattock beats a e tool any day, all told my gear weighs in less than a 100 pounds, some i may not need every day but if the trip starts going south and Shi t hits the fan it is nice to have a deep tool box for recovery.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I do over landing and at times I am 80 miles in the desert, if you ever been ass deep in sand or hung up on a ledge you quickly to find a D handle shovel and a mattock beats a e tool any day, all told my gear weighs in less than a 100 pounds, some i may not need every day but if the trip starts going south and Shi t hits the fan it is nice to have a deep tool box for recovery.
Well since nobody else asked I went and google'd "mattock". Learn something every day!

Sponsored

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Wouldn’t expect a guy from Chicago to know!
LOL Actually a guy from Chicago should know what a Mattock or a Pickaxe or a Pulaski is ... considering outside of Chicago all of Illinois is farmland :P

Not to mention IL is the HQ of CAT and John Deere ... Although, Idk if any of those companies make simple hand agricultural hand tools :angel:

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
An entrenching tool I find isn't much help unless you're digging a cat hole. I pack a short fixed spade, about 3 feet long with a D handle and a curved and pointed blade. It can cut and move "some" soil, usually just enough.

A mattock is a great tool and pairs well with a pulaski. They come in two types, a cutting mattock which is an axe & adze/hoe combo and a pick mattock which is a adze/hoe & pick combo. A pulaski is like a cutter mattock but is more axe focused with the adze being sharpened as well.

Cutter Mattock
755625035011.jpg

Pick Mattock
755625041227.jpg

Pulaski
755625034724.jpg

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait so which one should I get?

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Wait so which one should I get?
which ever one looks more bad ass when paired with the fender mounted hi-lift jack?

so ha has aside, really I guess it just depends on where you go and what you do there. My typical stomping grounds have full broken trails and a wealth of trees so we aren’t breaking any trail or working the land so much. Your conditions may vary.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Roll of duct tape and a BFH solves most of the world’s problems.

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
Sthil chainsaw, comes in handy, used it this past summer. Beef jerky, just the original, not a big fan of Teriyaki. Something about the after taste, makes my beer taste funny.

That's about it, I'm never in a big hurry to get back. Oh yeah, we always have a Mason jar tucked away just in case. Moonshine!

Always buy a few extra egg mc muffins in the morning before heading out, wrap em tight in the sack and stuff in door, you never know when they will come in handy.

Also I usually grab one of those white icing honey buns at the gas station after fueling up the Jeep. While im at it I snatch some extra napkins on the way out past the hotdog machine. Goes good with the Mocha Monster coffee.

One more thing, extra cans of Copenhagen snuff.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sthil chainsaw, comes in handy, used it this past summer. Beef jerky, just the original, not a big fan of Teriyaki. Something about the after taste, makes my beer taste funny.

That's about it, I'm never in a big hurry to get back. Oh yeah, we always have a Mason jar tucked away just in case. Moonshine!

Always buy a few extra egg mc muffins in the morning before heading out, wrap em tight in the sack and stuff in door, you never know when they will come in handy.

Also I usually grab one of those white icing honey buns at the gas station after fueling up the Jeep. While im at it I snatch some extra napkins on the way out past the hotdog machine. Goes good with the Mocha Monster coffee.

One more thing, extra cans of Copenhagen snuff.
Im with you on the moonshine and jerky but not that other stuff. I don't know that I'll ever be able to eat at McDonald's again. My kid's dirty diapers smell like McDonald's! Wtf is that about?!
Sponsored