STEELCITYDJ87

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM White, 2021 JLR Black
I just bought a used popup.

the guy swore on his mother the wiring harness worked the day before when he had to tow it home to show it to me.

We plug in the 4 pin and nothing, no lights. I brought a 4 -> 7 pin adapter and nothing, no lights.

I ended up towing it home with no working lights (only a couple of miles in daylight)

So. My questions.

1. does the JTR with max tow acknowledge that it is towing something with any visual cues on Uconnect / dash?

2. do you need to activate anything for it to start working?

3. Anybody else have problems getting lights on trailer to work?
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Should work right out of the box. It's not like a Ford where you have to install an optional relay into the fuse box to get trailer lighting to work. If I were you, I'd begin by cleaning all connections on the trailer wiring connector and then apply dielectric grease. Check grounds also. Then try it and see if it works. If not, begin troubleshooting by plugging a light tester into the truck. Those are available at Walmart. Plugs in just like the trailer and has little LED lights on it to show you if each circuit is working. Very handy.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Why did you bring a 4-.7 pin adapter? Isn't the plug on your Gladiator a 4/7 combination receptacle? I doubt the vehicle is the problem, the harness is part of the tail light circuit so your brake lights would't work. Most faulty trailer problems are due to the ground. It is usually because the wire is attached to the frame of the trailer and it corrodes from exposure. Check it and if that is it, remove it and rescuer it after removing any paint and rust.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
There's 2 fuses in the TIPM under the hood #'s 107 and 109 both 20 amp yellow. Check those.

OP
OP
STEELCITYDJ87

STEELCITYDJ87

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM White, 2021 JLR Black
Why did you bring a 4-.7 pin adapter? Isn't the plug on your Gladiator a 4/7 combination receptacle? I doubt the vehicle is the problem, the harness is part of the tail light circuit so your brake lights would't work. Most faulty trailer problems are due to the ground. It is usually because the wire is attached to the frame of the trailer and it corrodes from exposure. Check it and if that is it, remove it and rescuer it after removing any paint and rust.
the 4 pin on the RV was pretty sketchy looking and 7 pin connectors "stick" better in the socket connection.

I doubt the vehicle is the problem as well, but I like to check things off the list that could be root cause.

ground is on the list of things to check tonight.
Sponsored