Not open for further replies.

expfinn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Is one attachment method better than the other? I do not have trail rails but could add them if it would provide better support.

Also is there any type of spacer or anything I could use to have my hard shell top tent clear the cab?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow - Firecracker Red
Is one attachment method better than the other? I do not have trail rails but could add them if it would provide better support.

Also is there any type of spacer or anything I could use to have my hard shell top tent clear the cab?
Either attachment is fine, with the trail rail having the slight edge in ease of install. What hardshell do you have?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep rates their Trail Rails at a maximum vertical static load capacity of 250 lbs. per rail side. Our rack is stronger than that, as much of the load is carried on the bed rail tops, but we recommend staying inside Jeeps specifications. We don't list the load capacity of our rack because that number doesn't do much good as the bed and bed attachment system is the limitation of that.

We'd love to have a real number above the 250 per side, but the load capacity of the bed and bed rails isn't public information, so we can't do the analysis on it.
JCR team, this looks good - thanks for designing, building and producing it!

Some questions and comments:

* Since your rack sits on the bed side tops, that's where all of the weight should be. I understand you saying "JEEP rates their Trail Rails at a maximum vertical state load capacity of 250 lbs. per rail per side" but with all of the weight borne by the bed side tops, why are you using the Trail Rail capacity? If your customer buys your Rack and doesn't have the JEEP Trail Rails, what capacity do you use for your Rack?

* Do you have dimensions of your Racks published somewhere? I think the key dimensions would be the height to the top of your Racks, from the top of the Gladiator's bed side tops.

The overall height is important on the Shorter Rack to determine how high a Roof Top Tent, etc., will protrude above the height of the Gladiator's roof. In my opinion, RTT owners will want the short Rack to be lower so the top of their RTT is not above the Gladiator's roof.

The overall height is important on the Taller Rack as some users will want to carry long items (SUPs, RTTs, etc.) and need to ensure they will not contact the Gladiator's roof top especially when the truck is flexing off road.

OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JCR team, this looks good - thanks for designing, building and producing it!

Some questions and comments:

* Since your rack sits on the bed side tops, that's where all of the weight should be. I understand you saying "JEEP rates their Trail Rails at a maximum vertical state load capacity of 250 lbs. per rail per side" but with all of the weight borne by the bed side tops, why are you using the Trail Rail capacity? If your customer buys your Rack and doesn't have the JEEP Trail Rails, what capacity do you use for your Rack?

* Do you have dimensions of your Racks published somewhere? I think the key dimensions would be the height to the top of your Racks, from the top of the Gladiator's bed side tops.

The overall height is important on the Shorter Rack to determine how high a Roof Top Tent, etc., will protrude above the height of the Gladiator's roof. In my opinion, RTT owners will want the short Rack to be lower so the top of their RTT is not above the Gladiator's roof.

The overall height is important on the Taller Rack as some users will want to carry long items (SUPs, RTTs, etc.) and need to ensure they will not contact the Gladiator's roof top especially when the truck is flexing off road.
12.5" and 21.5" is the height of the rack from the tops of the bed respectively. We don't have the engineering data on the bed of the gladiator as that information is propitiatory to Jeep, so all we can go off if from the data that we are given. You are correct that the rack sitting on the bed rails offers more capacity, but we can't quantify that without the engineering data from Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I have the AluCab
Our full height is about 2" lower than the top of the roof. So if your AluCab base needs more clearance than that it would be pretty easy to mount it to some 2" spacers. The plastic spacers they use for bump stop extensions work great for such things.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Racks - Now Available {filename}

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
is it possible to mount some kind of cross bar for items we might have that already mount to things like that. Ski carriers, etc? I have a Yakima SkyLine setup from my previous car, looks like i might be able to use the Landing Pad 7 to bolt to the bed rack if it has the spots for it.

Thanks and I love the look, I will undoubtedly be ordering one soon!

Wolperdrinker

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 VW GTI, Gladiator Rubicon in my dreams
Similar to what scotticus said, I wonder if I could use my Thule snowboard rack with this....

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
So as i think about this, Yakima makes their Landing Pad 7 for permanent mount on truck roofs, i think that could bolt to the top rails of the jcr rack and let me use my cross bars on top of it.

https://www.yakima.com/landing-pad-7

and then i could continue to use all my yakima/thule based accessories on that.

Wolperdrinker

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 VW GTI, Gladiator Rubicon in my dreams
That's similar to what I'm thinking but with my Thule stuff.

Sponsored

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
would be nice if the @JcrOffroad folks could chime in! :)

OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
is it possible to mount some kind of cross bar for items we might have that already mount to things like that. Ski carriers, etc? I have a Yakima SkyLine setup from my previous car, looks like i might be able to use the Landing Pad 7 to bolt to the bed rack if it has the spots for it.

Thanks and I love the look, I will undoubtedly be ordering one soon!
Sorry, missed this post! We've found that 1x1 square tubing (or even 40mm x 20mm extrusion) works well as crossbars for the Yakima and Thule racks. So you could easily bolt some pieces of 80/20 aluminum across to handle that via t-nuts, or even some square steel tubing from the home center with u-bolts.

Lots of options on a Google search, but this thread may help get you started.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/252856-low-cost-80-20-t-slot-crossbar-diy.html

You can order t-slot here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/125/1986

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
Sorry, missed this post! We've found that 1x1 square tubing (or even 40mm x 20mm extrusion) works well as crossbars for the Yakima and Thule racks. So you could easily bolt some pieces of 80/20 aluminum across to handle that via t-nuts, or even some square steel tubing from the home center with u-bolts.

Lots of options on a Google search, but this thread may help get you started.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/252856-low-cost-80-20-t-slot-crossbar-diy.html

You can order t-slot here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/125/1986
Thanks for the info! Now just need to decide if I want full or half rack :)

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
I am seriously considering the JCR half height rack with RTT but not sure how to mount a 270 degree awning. I don't want it on my hard top. Any thoughts or ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.