Took home about 1600 pounds of flooring in bed yesterday

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
So I’m putting in some new hardwood floors in the house and the local store wanted to charge me $350 to deliver the materials, so I decided to do it myself in two trips. First load was a little under 1600 pounds. Squatted a little. I run 35 psi in my tires and the rear were reading 37 on the way home.

Overall was pretty impressed with the way it handled and drove!
Sponsored

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
you should have taken pictures to prove it doesn't just haul plywood. Good to hear it took it well.

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
Tire pressure doesn’t change due to load size. It will change with tire use.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Tire pressure doesn’t change due to load size. It will change with tire use.
Why would it bump up with the load in the back? Front were reading 35 and back 37 w load. As soon as I removed it right back to 35?

So I found an answer on etrailer: if the weight deforms the tire (in this deformed to look flatter) the psi will increase.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-182208.html

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Correct - in fact, you can weigh your vehicle by measuring the PSI in each tire and the exact footprint on the ground. You can lay pieces of paper around the tire, trace around the base of the tire on the ground, then measure the square inches of that area. PSI - pounds per square inch, you can actually weigh your vehicle that way and be pretty darned close. More weight in the truck - you are going to have to change something as the tire shape and footprint changes to hold that truck up with the extra weight.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Once again showing the JT Max Tow CAN drive with over the exceeding payload specs (assuming 1600lb payload capacity, 1500lb flooring, 200lb driver and misc items in vehicle)

How much does it increase wear? How often can you get away with it before problems?

Wonder if anyone has tested out even more on what the the Sport/MaxTows can haul. Could probably haul 2000lbs plus driver. Would make the JT a 1-ton truck :rock:

Edited for thinking this was a Rubicon

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Once again showing the JTR CAN drive with over 500lbs exceeding payload specs (assuming 1200lb payload, 1500lb flooring, 200lb driver and misc items in vehicle)

How much does it increase wear? How often can you get away with it before problems?

Wonder if anyone has tested out the Sport/MaxTows that have 1500-1600lb payloads. Could probably haul 2000lbs plus driver. Would make the JT a 1-ton truck :rock:
The truck in this thread is a Max Tow Sport.