Sponsored

Loose Steering?

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Saying this in reference to steering issues needs to stop. Its a safety thing.
Agreed. Mine is not OK for sure. Anyone that I have let drive it has commented immediately about how bad it felt. My wife doesn't even want to drive it because of it.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
at 2:05 in this video (he makes some odd reasons for why it is like this, who knew..it was so the Gladiator doesn't roll)

and at 17:22

Two reviews that comment on how poor the Gladiator's steering is on the highway. Doubt a reviewer is going to realize it's not supposed to wander like that on the road. Especially if people are test driving these back to back with something else.

erichsglad

First Name
erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
at 2:05 in this video (he makes some odd reasons for why it is like this, who knew..it was so the Gladiator doesn't roll)

and at 17:22

Two reviews that comment on how poor the Gladiator's steering is on the highway. Doubt a reviewer is going to realize it's not supposed to wander like that on the road. Especially if people are test driving these back to back with something else.
What the heck! If it steers straight, you might roll it because its a jeep?! They put that slop in the steering on purpose. He says its a safety thing. Is he trying to say the new 2020 Gladiator was never intended to be driven on the highway? I wish the sticker said "farm use only", at least I would get a tax break. Where do they get these so called experts.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you won't catch me towing with my Gladiator on a highway with barriers. Between that and a semi it's downright dangerous. Hopefully mine gets fixed this week. taking it in tomorrow.

Sponsored

erichsglad

First Name
erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you won't catch me towing with my Gladiator on a highway with barriers. Between that and a semi it's downright dangerous. Hopefully mine gets fixed this week. taking it in tomorrow.
Please let me/us know what if any results you have and how it was fixed, or even what they did that didn't fix it. We would all like to be able to tell our dealers and get us all on the same page.

Reactions: jrf

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So far not awesome. Dropped the Jeep off tonight at the dealer. Explained the problem and immidiately the guy at the service desk says. "That's just how they are, they all do that. All Jeeps drive like tanks and bricks." I calmly said I have owned MANY Jeeps including CJs, TJs, JKs and have driven many more. NONE of them felt like this one. It has a serious amount of play in the steering. It is not safe to drive on the highway.

@JeepCares sending you a PM

erichsglad

First Name
erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far not awesome. Dropped the Jeep off tonight at the dealer. Explained the problem and immidiately the guy at the service desk says. "That's just how they are, they all do that. All Jeeps drive like tanks and bricks." I calmly said I have owned MANY Jeeps including CJs, TJs, JKs and have driven many more. NONE of them felt like this one. It has a serious amount of play in the steering. It is not safe to drive on the highway.

Who trains these people? At a minimum you would think they would at least read a forum or two to see what's going on outside and start asking questions. Stop treating the customer like an idiot. They are supposed to be the expert but we seem to have to educate them. Isn't that FCA's responsibility? This is my 5th Jeep and my CJ tracked better, heck my trade in tracked better (may I have that back please). I bought it BECAUSE it's a jeep. Why do they keep trying to tell us "all you bought is a jeep, If you wanted something good you should have bought something else". You never hear that on the show room floor, just in service. FIX IT...it can't be that hard.

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
I think the steering on mine is just fine. I haven’t touched the tire pressures and have about 200 highway miles on it now. I’m actually shocked in how much better it drives than any Wrangler of old.

Everyone claiming there is excess slop, has anyone actually identified where the play is? Is it as simple as a sloppy steering box that needs to be adjusted? I had a pretty big K5 blazer way back in the day and about every 15k the gears in the steering box needed about 1/16 of a turn to keep it tight. Maybe all of the steering slop issues are just a case of a batch of steering boxes were mailed from the manufacturer without being adjusted properly before hand. Has anyone actually looked at the steering shaft and pitman arm together while moving the wheel? Or it’s not a steering slop problem at all and it’s really a toe/castor issue.

If there is actual mechanical play/slop/looseness it the steering system it shouldn’t take more than 2 people and 5-10 minutes to find it.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone actually looked at the steering shaft and pitman arm together while moving the wheel? Or it’s not a steering slop problem at all and it’s really a toe/castor issue.

If there is actual mechanical play/slop/looseness it the steering system it shouldn’t take more than 2 people and 5-10 minutes to find it.
I looked quickly and yes it seems to me the play is in the steering box/pitman arm. The sector shaft itself has more play in it than I think it should compared to my Jeeps of the past.

I also agree if it's mechanical play/slop/looseness then the dealer should easily be able to diagnose and fix it. That's my hope.

Sponsored

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
I looked quickly and yes it seems to me the play is in the steering box/pitman arm. The sector shaft itself has more play in it than I think it should compared to my Jeeps of the past.

I also agree if it's mechanical play/slop/looseness then the dealer should easily be able to diagnose and fix it. That's my hope.
I know it’s a brand new truck so don’t flame me for saying this.... but as it appears you did identify some definitive slop/play in the system, why not get a box wrench and Allen wrench and adjust the box yourself? Just for a sense check if not anything else. It will only take a very slight adjustment (VERY slight) to tighten it up. I mean it’s easy enough.... Again I know you shouldn’t have to on a new truck, but I’d rather take 10 minutes in my driveway (and probably fix the problem) then take the time to go to the dealer to have 3 “expert technicians” stand there scratching their heads for an hour, all while the chief knucklehead keeps repeating in my ear over and over “sir, it’s a Jeep thing and it’s supposed to be that way”.

But like I mentioned before I’d be willing to bet it was a bad batch of boxes. It seems like the issue surfaced heavy in mid September and now appears to be dying down as people continue to get their trucks delivered. That trend, to me anyway, is looking like an isolated issue indicative of a bad vendor batch.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

Hi J.R.,
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. I have received your PM and will continue assisting you from there.
Alex
Jeep Cares

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
I thought all of this complaint stuff was because some of y'all never drove a jeep. I was wrong, mine does it as well, and I can say, I have had jeeps my entire life, I'm 57. Thought the worst driving jeep was my CJ-5 with lift shackles. Wanna drive that home at age 17 with a few too many drinks. Crazy !!!!!
My new JTR drives just ok. My first experience was driving it home with my TJR in tow with 46 psi in the tires. Felt like I was driving on ice. Lowered the pressure to 32 and it does drive better, but still not right. Feels like the crown in the road has an effect on the steering. Or like driving on a highway, and the wind is blowing, and you go by an area that doesn't have a wind block, and you get that quick push. I feel it is electrical, or something that is inconsistent in the works. Adjusting the hex nut on the top of the box only puts pressure on the knuckle inside the gearbox, I am fairly sure that's not a fix, neither is a steering stabilizer shock (those are band aids) I will not allow FCA to install another type of device like this. Have a call into my dealer, who says they haven't heard of this. I'm patient, as I do believe there's education and a fix coming.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know it’s a brand new truck so don’t flame me for saying this.... but as it appears you did identify some definitive slop/play in the system, why not get a box wrench and Allen wrench and adjust the box yourself?
Understood...and yes...it's new. Also the last thing I wanted was for the problem to continue and then start being told "someone" was messing with the steering and we aren't warrantying it. So yes, to your point I just plunked down a pretty large sum of $ on a vehicle. Expectation is that it drives correctly and safely.

But like I mentioned before I’d be willing to bet it was a bad batch of boxes.
I think it was an originally poorly designed box is my guess. Because this issue has plaged JLs also. Reading around when people pushed the dealers hard enough oddly it got "fixed" so if it's supposed to be that way...how did it get "fixed" or if it's supposed to be that way then why don't ALL of the JLs/JTs do it?

If mine is a bad steering box, then I'd just like the box replaced with one that's correct. If it's loose tie rod or draglink end links, then tighten them. The dealer has my Jeep for 3 days while I'm out of town. Plenty of time to diagnose and correct the issue. What do I EXPECT them to do at this point? Absolutely nothing. Hopefully I'm not right but based on the conversation I had when dropping it off...wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even drive the thing (I'll know because I know how many miles were on it) and just had it back to me and say it's normal. This is why I already started the process with FCA.

Hopefully I'm 100% wrong and I get an answer and my jeep back that's either fixed or waiting on parts to fix it. We shall see.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Or like driving on a highway, and the wind is blowing, and you go by an area that doesn't have a wind block, and you get that quick push
Do that with a #2500 trailer on a highway with a jersey barrier on one side and a semi on the other. White knuckle does not even begin to describe how I felt on that trip. Ended up pulling over and calling the wife to bring my other truck to get the trailer home. It's kind of like death wobble. Once you overcorrect and the trailer goes one way the jeep wants to go the other that back and forth creates an oscillation. The play in the steering magnifies it. I thought I was going to bounce that trailer off the wall and the semi and that's a TINY trailer compared to what I usually tow (granted it doesn't have trailer brakes).

Bottom line is that it's not correct and not all of them do it. So just saying that all do that is not accurate. They don't all do that.
Sponsored