MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So just installed Smittybilt XRC Gen 1 Bumper. Love the look, but man don't know if its my imagination or what but it sure feels alot heavier in the front. Notice it in the way the tires sound and feel on turns and front end just feels heavy. But, I didnt think i would be able to "feel" the weight. Thinking maybe i should have waited and saved more money and bought a different bumper that was lighter. And I haven't even installed a wench yet! The ad when ordering said bumper was 107 lbs shipping weight so I'm guessing the bumper is 100 lbs.

Anyone else?

Also, now need to find a replacement for my fog lights since the new bumper did not have a spot for them. It has mounting spots for lights on the bumper and on the stinger. Was thinking of mounting two round off road lights and connecting to the factory harness connector. Do they come with a compatible connector to connect to factory? or maybe i can splice the connector from the OEM fogs.

bumper2.jpg
Sponsored

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A new bumper will make it feel heavier, but it's going to get even worse when you add the winch. I noticed a big difference in weight when I added the winch. I also installed a set of 3/4" coil spacers up front to help compensate for the added weight and eventual sag. Also, if you add a winch, the light mount holes on the bumper are useless since the winch will be in the way of any light mounting.

OP
OP
MadMax

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
A new bumper will make it feel heavier, but it's going to get even worse when you add the winch. I noticed a big difference in weight when I added the winch. I also installed a set of 3/4" coil spacers up front to help compensate for the added weight and eventual sag. Also, if you add a winch, the light mount holes on the bumper are useless since the winch will be in the way of any light mounting.
Winch should not be in the way of lighting, it was made for it. The winch is recessed down into the bumper. And I have skyjacker 2.5 inch coil/shock lift in front so didn't notice a sag in front but did notice the weight.

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Winch should not be in the way of lighting, it was made for it. The winch is recessed down into the bumper. And I have skyjacker 2.5 inch coil/shock lift in front so didn't notice a sag in front but did notice the weight.
My bumper was made for it as well, but that doesn't always mean it will work. My bumper has a recessed area for the winch and from the looks of it, it's about as deep as an area as yours. Once you put the winch on it, it takes up more room than you think. I'm just saying it might be an issue so you won't be surprised when it doesn't work.

dMdwSYbh.jpg

OP
OP
MadMax

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My bumper was made for it as well, but that doesn't always mean it will work. My bumper has a recessed area for the winch and from the looks of it, it's about as deep as an area as yours. Once you put the winch on it, it takes up more room than you think. I'm just saying it might be an issue so you won't be surprised when it doesn't work.

dMdwSYbh.jpg
Yeah that would suck if I had to take lights off, but I am looking at a viper winch and it doesnt seem to be as "high" as yours or doesn't appear that the winch housing will be that close to the light mount hole. It's a pretty low profile winch. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

bumperlights.jpg

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget - its a metal bumper and a jeep - Modifications are permitted :) Take a look underneath for obstructions and if needed redrill or slot mounting location - less than 10 minutes -
Sponsored