Shift points after regear

KevinK

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Jeep LJ
What is anyone going to do to correct transmission shift points after re-gearing? I've looked at several handheld programmers but the only thing that I've seen they have to do with gearing is recalibrating the speedometer afterwards.
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
What is anyone going to do to correct transmission shift points after re-gearing? I've looked at several handheld programmers but the only thing that I've seen they have to do with gearing is recalibrating the speedometer afterwards.
I don't understand what you'd want to do with "correcting transmission shift points after re-gearing."

Regearing should/will make the larger tires performance similar to the stock tires. All that's needed after regearing is to adjust the speedo/odo which is done by using an aftermarket product like the Tazer, etc.

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand what you'd want to do with "correcting transmission shift points after re-gearing."

Regearing should/will make the larger tires performance similar to the stock tires. All that's needed after regearing is to adjust the speedo/odo which is done by using an aftermarket product like the Tazer, etc.
I agree with the question here - If you regeared and adjusted based on tire size - Transmission shift points are tied to the RPM - If you have a performance expectation - i.e. harder launches - towing etc that would want to hold a specfiic gear longer - adjusting may make sense otherwise that is least of issues as you increase gearing / tire size and weight.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
if the Jeep computer doesn't know you changed gears it could go into limp mode.

Thed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 MX-5 Miata, '01 Rodeo, '96 Ranger, '17 Ducati Supersport
The PCM uses engine speed, turbine speed, output speed, and wheel speed to calculate shift points. Change any of this and it could throw the shift points out of whack.

Get a Tazer mini because it's quite literally one of the most useful mods you can buy. It'll let you reprogram tire size and gear ratios (for diffs and t-case). It'll be back to normal instantly.
Sponsored