Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
If you're like me and you didn't get the trail kit which includes the locking rear underseat box, never fear because there is a solution. All you need is some wood lying around, a few hinges, Woodworking tools, and some spray paint.

I've seen where MOPAR is selling the box for near $1000. So until the price comes down or there are aftermarket options, I decided to experiment and build my own. It locks, looks decent, fits flush, and its functional. I'm even working on another box that has a built in box for a single 10" subwoofer! It came out ok.

***Not bad for a little experimenting!***

20191020_151345.jpg

20191020_151405.jpg

20191020_155018.jpg

20191022_130229.jpg

20191024_093027.jpg

20191024_093001.jpg

20191024_093134.jpg
Sponsored

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
NICE! I doubt many people are pulling out the lockable version and carrying it around. So this does the job enough. can you give more details on the lock?

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Bummer about carseats. Under seat is useless.
I was gonna do something similar but hinge down on the front so I can slide things under since it'll be years before I can lift my seats again

OP
OP
tysongladiator

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
NICE! I doubt many people are pulling out the lockable version and carrying it around. So this does the job enough. can you give more details on the lock?
The lock is just a cheap $5 cam lock from Home depot. Similar to what's used on toolboxes. If I would have know this were gonna turn out the way it did, I would have researched a better looking and performing lock.

OP
OP
tysongladiator

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer about carseats. Under seat is useless.
I was gonna do something similar but hinge down on the front so I can slide things under since it'll be years before I can lift my seats again
Ahhhh.... Didn't think about that. With carseats, it's really a lot of trouble lifting the seat up and down to get underneath. That is something good to consider. A company would benefit from that.

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Wonder if there is just a way to lock the actual seat from being lifted? So the seat is acting as the actual door to the storage.
This!!! I can only arrive at that it doesn’t because it takes away from another thing for Mopar to sell. If we can lock the seat backs, why can’t we lock the seat bottoms?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Wonder if there is just a way to lock the actual seat from being lifted? So the seat is acting as the actual door to the storage.
But, but, but if we figure out how to do this, we will miss out on another plywood thread.

Actually, this really is a brilliant solution.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I actually considered the idea for my future JT. By putting one of those barrel locks through the plastic C-shaped cargo surround so the latch part of the lock rotates upward and the welding a catch to the under side of the seat for the latch to catch on it would lock the seat down to that surround. Wouldn’t probably stop anyone that’s determined to get into the storage area but it would stop the curious if the door n top were off.
Another idea was a gate/door lock like below with the flap mounted to the seat and the hasp on the plastic upright.

upload_2019-12-21_11-10-29.jpeg

OP
OP
tysongladiator

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase

That would be AWESOME!!!!!

Sponsored

LouWill

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2008 JKU
If you're like me and you didn't get the trail kit which includes the locking rear underseat box, never fear because there is a solution. All you need is some wood lying around, a few hinges, Woodworking tools, and some spray paint.

I've seen where MOPAR is selling the box for near $1000. So until the price comes down or there are aftermarket options, I decided to experiment and build my own. It locks, looks decent, fits flush, and its functional. I'm even working on another box that has a built in box for a single 10" subwoofer! It came out ok.

***Not bad for a little experimenting!***

20191020_151345.jpg

20191020_151405.jpg

20191020_155018.jpg

20191022_130229.jpg

20191024_093027.jpg

20191024_093001.jpg

20191024_093134.jpg

man that looks great and I really like the idea. does it rattle at all ?

OP
OP
tysongladiator

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
man that looks great and I really like the idea. does it rattle at all ?
Nope. doesn't make a sound. I'm still loving it. Until an aftermarket comes out with something decently priced! Lol

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I’ve had the thought (more than once) to do something similar. When I had my ram truck (2012) it had a hinged deal under the rear seat that when you lifted the seat base the storage compartment had a lid like that but it also had two more panels to it on top that could fold forward (top one being the leg for the middle one) so it made into a flat floor cargo area. Tried to find a pic of it on the net but google took me all everywhere but there.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Probably nobody. With it being bolted to the floor it really isn't worth the effort in my opinion to remove. Then if you leave it unbolted you lose the security of it locking. Kind of a useless feature.
Sponsored