Sponsored

Offroadlight wired to highbeams

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I intend on putting a pair of off-road/driving lights on my front bumper. On my last truck I had a 3 position switch (on/when highbeams are,off,On) so that driving on windy backroads I could flick everything off with the high beams. I could turn them on for beach lighting without keys near the vehicle.

My JT order will have the aux switch factory and I don’t want to add a 3 position switch. Wondering if anyone has had luck with figuring out how to do this with the factory settings or an aftermarket system.

I already emailed Tazer and got this response.

“You can't directly map the high beams to the AUX buttons, but you can set up a custom LightShow that keeps the high beams on and map that to the AUX button.

Thanks,
Ian

Ian C. Schafer
Z Automotive”

So before I splice into my highbeams I just want to verify that there isn’t something I have missed that would allow me to have both ways without throwing an aftermarket switch in.
Sponsored

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I hope I don't break your bubble but a off road light wired to a off road light may, just may be a safety issue. I would check your state laws or at least consult the state trooper office. In my state a set up like that would attract state troopers like free mashed potatoes at fat man's convention. Plus also check state game laws. State laws may limit the wattage of head lights so cover your self.

OP
OP
Cape taco12

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I hope I don't break your bubble but a off road light wired to a off road light may, just may be a safety issue. I would check your state laws or at least consult the state trooper office. In my state a set up like that would attract state troopers like free mashed potatoes at fat man's convention. Plus also check state game laws. State laws may limit the wattage of head lights so cover your self.
I am well aware of all of the laws pertaining to motor vehicles in my state.

There are many street legal driving lights on the market and exemptions in my state for on road use of auxiliary lighting. The only MVI of concern is “failure to dim high-beams” which is alleviated by having a single switch and paying attention to on coming drivers.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Well it see that you have the issue under control. I myself would consider a relay with a trigger voltage from the high beam wire using a aux switch to break the circuit easy to install it with very little cost. I hope the light install goes good. Enjoy your jeep and keep safe.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JKU
How I did it on my Tundra was to install a 3 position switch in the cab and tapped into the high beam wire. So I had an option of lightbar on with the switch, Off and then on with the high beams.

Sponsored

rob@hidprojectors

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LJ on 40s
You will have to find your +power for the high beam circuit & splice a wire over to a relay.

when the high beams turn on they will send a 12v signal and tell the relay to turn on. The relay will take power from the battery and this is what would give your auxiliary lights power.

If you were to hook them up directly to the high beam circuit you might pull too many amps and blow a fuse / turn some warning lights on.

Alternatively, if the vehicle has an under hood relay box & you locate the high beam signal there you may be able to take power from that location too with an "add a fuse link" . This way you wont have to splice into your factory harness up front.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
What about an ARB Linx system?

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 1.17.45 PM.png

OP
OP
Cape taco12

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
What about an ARB Linx system?

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 1.17.45 PM.png
“Accessory Switchboards
  • Controls up to six (6) additional switched accessories
  • Can be switched on or off manually or automatically by ignition, high beam headlamps, low beam headlamps or reversing lamps
  • Each accessory name can be customized
  • Each accessory can have a user selectable low voltage cut out
  • Can be viewed in either split or full screen mode
A key feature of the LINX for sale is its ability to control six (6) additional switched accessories. Each accessory can be customized to switch on or off by user input, and/or automatically by ignition, high beam headlamps, low beam headlamps or reversing lamps. Additionally, each accessory can be personalized in name with individual settings for low voltage cut out to protect your vehicle from a flat battery”

Sweet never saw that system. It will work as I want but since I don’t plan on adding more electronics the price $600+ is kind of a deterrent. If I planned on adding ARB lockers or airbags I would go with that for sure.
Sponsored