First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
At what pitch and roll angles do you start getting concerned? Say perhaps with a 2” Mopar lift kit and 35’s? Others are welcome to answer too! Do you use the information screen while off road?
Sponsored

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU and 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
At various courses I've taught at, using mostly Tacomas, Highlanders, and Land Cruisers, but some Jeeps, 30° of roll was the recommended max. Lifts, soil type, tires, center of gravity, were all factors that significantly reduced that. We kept things at 25° and the only incidents were had were due to driver error. Pitch could be more but getting folks to let the truck gearing take you down the hill and not sliding on the brakes was tough sometimes.

audiophil2

First Name
PHIL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ
Getting to my gun range I've maxed at 21 pitch and 17 roll so far. Sport S with 33" MT only mod. Most of the terrain changes from rock to sand so I have to be careful. Too much weight on the side of the trail and it will give away.

Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I've had my JT with 315/70/17s at 26* pitch and roll. It would probably be ok at a sharper angle but it's pretty sketchy that steep.

Heinoceros

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Roll worries me far more than pitch. And roll + pitch is a recipe for disaster. Of all the obstacles one faces off-road, I dislike off-camber climbs the most.

Here's a fun video to freak you out:
damn that is terrifying. I was watching him go up and thinking go wider, go wider, but he didnt look like he was that far off a decent line. But he turned the steering wheel the wrong way when he started to roll backwards. But i could definitely see myself making that mistake trying to keep the jeep from rolling back.

It just seems like relatively small errors lead to a horrific accident. thanks for posting!

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Damn. I couldn't tell if he stalled it or just stopped and rolled back trying to start again. Either way, that stop after rolling back is what brought the front end around. Gotta keep the nose pointed uphill. Definitely the worst of positions to be in.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
The steepest pitch I’ve ever done was 49 degrees going down slipfaces in the Namib desert.
It was definitely a pucker factor moment the first few times but after that it was a blast!

This was in a 79 Series LC that was fully kitted out for overlanding.
2E728558-0E29-43AE-A1A8-8E32ED7F8223.jpeg

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Roll worries me far more than pitch. And roll + pitch is a recipe for disaster. Of all the obstacles one faces off-road, I dislike off-camber climbs the most.

Here's a fun video to freak you out:
Too much lift and not enough wheelbase....

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I've had my JT with 315/70/17s at 26* pitch and roll. It would probably be ok at a sharper angle but it's pretty sketchy that steep.
Those are the tire size I plan on starting with. I’m going to try to put them on the stock Rubicon 7.5 x 17 rims.

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Those are the tire size I plan on starting with. I’m going to try to put them on the stock Rubicon 7.5 x 17 rims.
Mine are on stock JK wheels.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Pitch and roll is for me seat of pants, having spent close to 40 years in all types of terrain, I have found that pitch is the most important to pay attention to. Pitch is just the angle from the differential to the outside of the tire, center of gravity is also factor from the vehicle height, when you cross a up hill obstacle in roll and you raise the past the center of gravity to the down hill side that is when you suck up seat fabric in to your pants you are in the realm of extreme pucker factor. Trust your spider sense, when you feel oh shit you are close to a roll issue.
Sponsored