Sponsored

Major Aftermarket Stereo Options Coming Soon

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So for those of us looking at complete aftermarket stereo upgrades, some interesting news. The Insane Audio JL/JT aftermarket head unit should be getting a release date and price soon.

Also, something I didn't see coming, a rather eloquent solution for these silly ass 4 inch speakers they put in these late model jeeps. Ported enclosures with a factory fit that will mount 6.5 Inch components.

https://carstereochick.com/2019/10/17/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-speaker-upgrade-pods-coming-soon/

I initially scoffed at the potential $1500 price tag of an aftermarket insane audio unit, but I'm warming to the idea based on plug and play and OEM integration.

Also, speakers in the 4 inch range are either trash or high end, the enclosures with 6.5 inch mounting options opens up all kinds of budget ranges for many folks.

Not sure I will wait for a JL stealth box option, but maybe it will come soon........
Sponsored

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm satisfied with the 8.4 uconnect.

On my JKU, I was going to get an alternative. But honestly, I just want a big screen and Android auto. I only need Google maps and Spotify.

Any navigation on any head unit tends to get outdated pretty quickly. Google is the most up to date with traffic and speed trap warnings.

Just my opinion though.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My wife wanted me to have the biggest display, the dealer sales guy said when uconnect gets outdated use my phone and Google because it's always up to date - for free, any time I update my phone (which is pretty regular)

OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'm satisfied with the 8.4 uconnect.

On my JKU, I was going to get an alternative. But honestly, I just want a big screen and Android auto. I only need Google maps and Spotify.

Any navigation on any head unit tends to get outdated pretty quickly. Google is the most up to date with traffic and speed trap warnings.

Just my opinion though.
Some of us have the 5 inch Uconnect 4. We have no access to android auto or car play. These upgrades are sort of implied for them. IMO there is very little reason to upgrade the head unit if you have the 7 or 8.4 inch.

While I think the factory speakers are actually pretty good, I am not satisfied with the quality of sound. I've always run aftermarket sound in my cars, so these speakers will get replaced with amped speakers.

The insane audio option is an easy, albeit expensive and feature rich option. But soon, head units in the $300 range will be an option with install kits, with may be a better fit cost wise.

Still curious about under rear seat subwoofer installs. I wonder if a shallow mount JL 10 inch is viable under there.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us have the 5 inch Uconnect 4. We have no access to android auto or car play. These upgrades are sort of implied for them. IMO there is very little reason to upgrade the head unit if you have the 7 or 8.4 inch.

While I think the factory speakers are actually pretty good, I am not satisfied with the quality of sound. I've always run aftermarket sound in my cars, so these speakers will get replaced with amped speakers.

The insane audio option is an easy, albeit expensive and feature rich option. But soon, head units in the $300 range will be an option with install kits, with may be a better fit cost wise.

Still curious about under rear seat subwoofer installs. I wonder if a shallow mount JL 10 inch is viable under there.
I wish I could have talked her into the Sport S - assuming that there'd be systems like this later - oh, well.
My current truck, a Silverado, has awesome sound system! Granted, the head unit is old-fashioned, CD with aux input but hey, the sound is great.
Best I had was my Comanche with 3500 worth of Alpine gear - back in 1987/88. Two big amps under the seat, subs behind the seats, and 8 other speakers - it would shake the mirrors and other trim loose.

Sponsored

meadowsdad

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
The Insane unit is extremely limited. No RCA preouts is what I was told. Also if you have the 8.4 This would be a step back for sure. For $1500 you can add the 8.4 OE system which allows TRUE integration. Then you add the Ap4-CH41 and your in business with 6- 4V RCA outputs with no need for resistors!

OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The Insane unit is extremely limited. No RCA preouts is what I was told. Also if you have the 8.4 This would be a step back for sure. For $1500 you can add the 8.4 OE system which allows TRUE integration. Then you add the Ap4-CH41 and your in business with 6- 4V RCA outputs with no need for resistors!
I assume anyone considering this unit is a 5 inch u connect owner.

I believe there are some issues with adding the 8.4 inch in terms of updates and having it flashed to your VIN, not impossible though. There is a lot about this on the JL forums.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD

Just to clarify... the insane audio linked does say “
  • Dedicated PreAmp Outputs for your own Aftermarket System
  • Separate Subwoofer Output with Integrated Volume Control”
under their audio section. Who knows of how much voltage they put out and how many.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Anyone receive or install the JL3001 from Insane Audio yet?

I have one scheduled to arrive on Saturday.
You would be the first I've heard of. I'm excited to see how it goes for you. Are you installing yourself?

Whats your current stereo configuration?

Jzmattingly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sr. Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2018 Lexus GX460
So... did anyone install the JK3001 from Insane Audio yet? Thoughts or opinions on the installed unit are appreciated. I very much want to ditch my 5" factory screen, so I''m weighing opinions.
Sponsored