Sponsored

12v Socket/Lighter Constant Hot How To

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
When I got the jeep I was frustrated that there was only one 12v cigarette lighter socket and that it did not stay on constantly. I decided to mount a 12v socket but I did not want to drill any holes in the dash or console incase I wanted to remove it later. I am also planning on getting the trailer brake controller if they every release it, so I would lose my lone cigarette plug.

I also noticed that if I tried to charge a device from one of the Uconnect plugs the whole system would have a shit fit and make android auto not work correctly for a day or two. I have headphones and speakers that I leave in the vehicle when I want to charge them so they are charged up and ready to go when I need them.

I have the AUX switch kit from the factory and was able to tap into the 10A constant hot (RED/ WHITE STRIPE) in the footwell wire loom. I found the wire loom taped to the wires running along the firewall in the passenger footwell. It was curled back on itself with a few heat-shrunk ends sticking out. I contemplated using one of the AUX switches but decided I did not need more than 10A and wanted to save those for other projects I have planned.

I then removed the passenger kick panel and found 3 ground locations with 2 of them taken by the factory harness, leaving one left that I could dedicate to the lighter. I ran a fused hot with the grounded wire around the footwell to the center console and hooked it up to an ARB 12v weather tight receptacle I had laying around.

I made a spacer to mount the receptacle to and used a M6 x 40mm hex bolt to mount it to the passenger side of the center console. The spacer was 4 layers of the cheapest lexan I could get from home depot glued together. I then cut it out with a jig saw, sanded it smooth and covered it with a couple coats of plasti-dip. I notched the spacer to allow the wires to be tucked up under the plastic trim pieces along the dash. I placed 2 stips of double sided tape on the back of the spacer between it and the trim but did not pull the plastic off, I wanted to use it as an isolator to prevent any rattling and provide a sturdy non-marring surface.

I cut down two M4 hex bolts to attach the ARB receptacle to the spacer and threaded them into the lexan.

I am using a 5amp fuse in the installed inline fuse under the passenger dash so it will blow before the fuse under the hood and so it could be removed easily if I want to temporally remove it or add another one for the back.

IMG_20191101_171604.jpg

IMG_20191101_172612.jpg

IMG_20191101_170929.jpg

IMG_20191101_172720.jpg

IMG_20191101_160725.jpg

IMG_20191101_171126.jpg

IMG_20191101_171558 (1).jpg
Sponsored

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nicely done!

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Nice.
Is there a way to provide constant power to the existing cig lighter?

OP
OP
FL Handle Guy

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
Nice.
Is there a way to provide constant power to the existing cig lighter?
I believe it has been done. I believe someone makes a kit that keeps it hot. If I come across it again I will post it

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I believe it has been done. I believe someone makes a kit that keeps it hot. If I come across it again I will post it
Looks good. I put in the factory brake controller and lost the cig lighter. I have really been missing the aux 12 volt outlet.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I recall, there are also a couple of leads coming out of the fuse box for constant 12 and switched 12 that are separate from the Aux switches.

In other words they are either always on or always switched with the ignition.

I can't remember if this comes with the Aux switch option if its standard. But if its standard, it would be a good thing to use if you don't have the Aux switches.

OP
OP
FL Handle Guy

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi