Anyone have the door creak issues?

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
Anyone else have the mysterious door creak issues that the JL guys have discussed so much about on there forum?...some gladiator guys on there as well chiming in....they take the doors off for the first time and when reinstalled bam the creak begins...it seems to be the weak adhesive inside the doors possibly...anyone else run into this issue? Or have a relatively easy fix?
Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Anyone else have the mysterious door creak issues that the JL guys have discussed so much about on there forum?...some gladiator guys on there as well chiming in....they take the doors off for the first time and when reinstalled bam the creak begins...it seems to be the weak adhesive inside the doors possibly...anyone else run into this issue? Or have a relatively easy fix?
HI Greg,
I know you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for guidance; however, should you decide to have your dealer take a look, please keep us updated. If additional assistance is needed throughout your visit, feel free to send us a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

OP
OP
Yellow1098

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Alex! My dealer is alittle far from me and the others don't seem to be as enthusiastic to help but I will reach anyway...are you aware of this issue and if there is a fix I can do myself?

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Thanks Alex! My dealer is alittle far from me and the others don't seem to be as enthusiastic to help but I will reach anyway...are you aware of this issue and if there is a fix I can do myself?
I've always put a lil grease on the pins once a year in the spring, but that's just to make it easier to get em off over the years

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
It's early and I didn't get enough sleep so I can't think of the name of the part that caused this for us. When Jeep introduced the mechanism that doesn't allow the door to just swing (you know what I am talking about), we found that if we don't tighten that all the way we get the 'creak' issue. We resolved this issue after the first time taking the doors off in the JT. It was a simple fix for us; perhaps, you as well?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow1098

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's early and I didn't get enough sleep so I can't think of the name of the part that caused this for us. When Jeep introduced the mechanism that doesn't allow the door to just swing (you know what I am talking about), we found that if we don't tighten that all the way we get the 'creak' issue. We resolved this issue after the first time taking the doors off in the JT. It was a simple fix for us; perhaps, you as well?
That's great to hear it was an easy fix.....I'm not to sure which part your talking about please elaborate alittle more (when you have your coffee of course)...or even better show me a pic....you just made my day and solved me a lot of annoyance

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi Greg,
Unfortunately, since our team is not mechanically trained and there are no TSBs regarding this, I wouldn't be able to offer the type of technical assistance you are looking for. Hopefully, one of your fellow forum members can help you troubleshoot. If you do decide to visit your dealer and need any assistance, please feel free to PM us.
Alex
JeepCares

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've had two "creaks":

1) An extremely annoying creak/pop/thump/noise coming from the area around the passenger side rear door. Turned out to be the hardtop wasn't aligned and torqued properly from the factory and it was slipping around slightly where it bolts to the tub.

2) A similar sound as #1 but this one just began last week and it's coming from the passenger side front door. Sounds like it's actually inside the door. I haven't diagnosed further yet.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's great to hear it was an easy fix.....I'm not to sure which part your talking about please elaborate alittle more (when you have your coffee of course)...or even better show me a pic....you just made my day and solved me a lot of annoyance
With the door open, my creak was caused due to the detent bolt not being tightened completely. This is the bolt that is required to remove while the door is open in order to remove the doors completely. It solved our issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yellow1098

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the door open, my creak was caused due to the dent bolt not being tightened completely. This is the bolt that is required to remove while the door is open in order to remove the doors completely. It solved our issue.
I know you probably tightened it up but do any of you guys know the torque specs of that dent bolt?

Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know you probably tightened it up but do any of you guys know the torque specs of that dent bolt?
I don't; Ours was loose to the point where you could visibly see a slight movement and that was a trigger to tighten it. That mechanism, which we've subsequently figured out 'how to deal with it', was a pain in the a$$ to deal with the first time we removed the doors. It wasn't fully extended when we removed the bolt and when we tried to reinstall the doors, they were impossible to extend by hand/tool from within the door; we ended up working in a tight space to reinstall them initially. (I know I've seen another thread describing that behavior)

I'd like to know the specs as well, but for now we're just using common sense 'feel'. That is, likely, not a thing!

Jimmoiv

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 jeep Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
I've had two "creaks":

1) An extremely annoying creak/pop/thump/noise coming from the area around the passenger side rear door. Turned out to be the hardtop wasn't aligned and torqued properly from the factory and it was slipping around slightly where it bolts to the tub.

2) A similar sound as #1 but this one just began last week and it's coming from the passenger side front door. Sounds like it's actually inside the door. I haven't diagnosed further yet.
I have the creak in my front passenger door. Diagnosed by taking off the freedom panel and it went away

Daniel-J

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Freelancer
This is a difficult question because you need to understand where exactly the creak comes from. If you are sure where it comes from, try lubricating it yourself. If you cannot determine the source of the creak, then the best option is to contact your dealer. This is a minor but not pleasant problem.

JT_Ollie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBB BMW M2, SG Jeep Gladiator
I have the noise, both passenger doors. I tried tightening bolts still there

ajaj96

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'm going to save you all the trouble of trying to trouble shoot this. The Jeep Wrangler JL forum has a 15 page thread about this that I have been actively involved with since we share the same doors. I am sad to say that as of right now there seems to be no fix. There is a foam that Jeep uses between the exterior door skin and the door frame that breaks down rapidly causing this annoying clicking sound we are hearing. If you would like, you can have your doors replaced under warranty, but that would mean a respray of your brand new Gladiator and nobody wants that. Plus they will just replace it with a door that will eventually have the same problem. This is not a safety issue, just an annoyance that we will all unfortunately have to live with unless Jeep themselves figure out how to build an aluminium door correctly. CREAK SQUAD UNITE!
Sponsored