Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Mine too, wanders less than my Dakota did.
Cheers

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Just threw my fox TS stabilizer on today... took about half an hour. I did have to jack up the frame a little bit on the drivers side to get one of the bolts out due to the trackbar in the way. Definitely fun to do.

It made some interesting differences while driving. The steering wheel feels lighter/smoother in hand but over bumps cracks a lot of shake went away.(I am on 37’s). Also less input is needed to go straight and I’m not as worried to let go of the steering wheel.

Overall... I like it and now all my shock/dampeners match so there is that too lmao.

FD42BDA1-D644-446B-AAFF-40E619EFB134.jpeg

56CB4FBE-EA26-45E0-930C-B478879EDF08.jpeg

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
So, about 2 months ago my dealer got in a Rubicon. I had only driven a sport at that point and wanted to drive a Rubicon. I immediately noticed the steering. I am not sure what the trouble was. Too much toe out? Not enough caster? But it was obvious and annoying. I have driven many Jeep, stock to highly modified and have owned only trucks for years. This was not normal and is a problem. I picked up my Gobi on Friday and it drove perfect even with 43psi in the tires. I would be really curious to find out what this is. A steering stabilizer may mask the problem and make everything seem ok but it doesn't "fix" anything. My last jeep was a TJ with 37 inch Krawler red labels and it didn't have any stabilizer on it. Could drive down the road at 60mph with no shake, shimmy or wobble.

Sponsored

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
To those using an aftermarket stabilizer, to correct the wandering/over correction of side to side, I'll be curious to see what your tires look like after 10k-15k miles. Can't help wondering if tightening the steering is masking a greater problem, that will unevenly, prematurely wear the tires that are not going straight down the road. Just saying

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
To those using an aftermarket stabilizer, to correct the wandering/over correction of side to side, I'll be curious to see what your tires look like after 10k-15k miles. Can't help wondering if tightening the steering is masking a greater problem, that will unevenly, prematurely wear the tires that are not going straight down the road. Just saying
I’d guess wandering from side to side would wear the tires faster than going straight.

Scottdip

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
I installed the Fox ts steering stabilizer about two weeks ago and I can still move the wheel back and forth about two inches until I feel tension in the steering wheel.

Really the only improvement I noticed with the new stabilizer is less feedback through the wheel and maybe less bump steer.

This is just my experience and I think its gonna be an adventure when I hook up my 19' snowmobile trailer for a long trip up North.

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer for this issue as I have added King shocks and now the Fox TS steering stabilizer. I'm gonna assume they will say the aftermarket parts are the issue even though it had the dead spot in the steering and wandering from the time I picked it up. I just assumed "it was a Jeep thing" because that's all you hear.

Oatmeal

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I think the issue I have is how much of a dead zone is in the steering. You can’t seem to just hold a position on the road (slight gradual turn) because you have to move the steering wheel two inches to get out of the dead zone. I think this is the wandering I experience as I maneuver like a boat rather than a car. As described this product doesn’t get rid of the dead zone, is there anything that does?

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I think the issue I have is how much of a dead zone is in the steering. You can’t seem to just hold a position on the road (slight gradual turn) because you have to move the steering wheel two inches to get out of the dead zone. I think this is the wandering I experience as I maneuver like a boat rather than a car. As described this product doesn’t get rid of the dead zone, is there anything that does?
Hello, steering precision is mostly due to the shape of the shoulder of the tire. If it is a square shoulder tire with a lot of squared rubber touching the street, the steering will be more precise than a rounded shoulder tire. I expect the mud terrains on the Rubicon to be less precise than an all- terrain, and so on down the line. The gearing of the steering box also contributes, ie. many turns from right to left vs. 1+ turns from right to left. so, if you have a rounded shoulder tire with a low geared steering box, you will get more play in your steering wheel going down the road -- even if there is no play in the metal components. Since your truck is new, I doubt there is any play in the metal components. Concentrate on the tires and how much of the tire shoulder is touching the road

The first thing I would try is to air down from 41 PSI stock to 34 psi on all 4 tires, this will get you more tire shoulder on the road and should give you less play in your steering wheel.

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I had mine back to the dealer Monday and they checked the alignment and checked the torque setting on the front end parts and found the track bar 10lbs under the required torque needed but that should not make much difference. If they found something else they did not tell me. I was not there watching the whole process because I knew it would be an all day stay. They had it all day and it may drive a little better but not much difference. I've adjusted several steering box's and rebuilt many front ends of cars motorcycles and Side By Side 4 wheelers going on 42 years but I'm not touching it yet till more is know about what's going on with this problem. I don't want to hear them say I touched something. My 3rd Jeep and turning wrenches and modifying the things I owns is what I enjoy. 540 miles so far. This is the last Jeep I had.

My jeep Likes my money

20190807_113947.jpg

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Just another one of my toys.
My Jeep likes my money and the Vette

20170721_151451.jpg

Last edited:

aglass0fmilk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee 1997, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you complain about the JT steering, try driving an XJ from the 90's with 150,000 miles... My Gladiator feels like a race car by comparison.

It's not rack-and-pinion, you'll get used to it ;)

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
It's not rack-and-pinion, you'll get used to it ;)
That's the worst response.... how are you sure YOUR JT isn't OK and others have a problem? I'm saying this from experience. I've driven BOTH. Trust me... the JT's with the problem actually feel WORSE than your 150k mile XJ.
Sponsored