Sponsored

Those complaining about the steering... get the Fox Steering Stabilizer

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
steering seemed really loose especially on the highway. The video is spot on with the constant correcting. Also, if I pass a semi I have to have both hands on the steering wheel to keep the JT in line so it sounds like this isn’t normal.
Please, visit the dealer, Please log the issue on NHTSA linked above and report to DOT. When enough people raise the issue it will get fixed. Details in my signature.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy to say that after a couple of days actually driving the truck around on the highway, hitting 80, driving some at 65 and 70, on windy days, interstates, 2 lane highways, hills, etc. I think it's ok.
I suspect because of the loong flat sides, and the height and it's not exactly a super-sonic jet in shape, it's going to be more prone to having to hold on in the wake of a big truck, but that's what high-profile long vehicles are like. It's longer than the Wrangler, more side for the wind to catch and push and pull at. That being said, other than wanting to have both hands on the wheel when it was windy (and this is central Iowa, more windy than the so-called windy city - otherwise I can run it one-handed, I can even let go for a while as a test and until the road crown changes it's going a straight line. I think it reacts a lot more quickly than my Chevy did so I do find myself over-correcting - if I feel I'm heading toward the shoulder even a little I find myself almost back to the center line - but I just have to get used to how quick it responds and how quick and tight it will turn. Only my Eagle is tighter in turns and as fast steering.
I have a punch list for the dealer next week - it's pretty short, and one thing that won't be on it - the steering or handling. I'm happy with it.

Reactions: jrf

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I'm happy to say that after a couple of days actually driving the truck around on the highway, hitting 80, driving some at 65 and 70, on windy days, interstates, 2 lane highways, hills, etc. I think it's ok.
I suspect because of the loong flat sides, and the height and it's not exactly a super-sonic jet in shape, it's going to be more prone to having to hold on in the wake of a big truck, but that's what high-profile long vehicles are like. It's longer than the Wrangler, more side for the wind to catch and push and pull at. That being said, other than wanting to have both hands on the wheel when it was windy (and this is central Iowa, more windy than the so-called windy city - otherwise I can run it one-handed, I can even let go for a while as a test and until the road crown changes it's going a straight line. I think it reacts a lot more quickly than my Chevy did so I do find myself over-correcting - if I feel I'm heading toward the shoulder even a little I find myself almost back to the center line - but I just have to get used to how quick it responds and how quick and tight it will turn. Only my Eagle is tighter in turns and as fast steering.
I have a punch list for the dealer next week - it's pretty short, and one thing that won't be on it - the steering or handling. I'm happy with it.
This has been my experience, as well. I've definitely been overly perceptive of the steering (and probably overthinking it) since there are so many complaints about it. My steering is actually more responsive than my Sierra was. The Rubicon has a soft suspension and is prone to some body roll, as well. I noticed that there were times I was correcting over rough road when the JT hadn't actually wandered off course. My perception of the vehicle needing a steering correction was just the suspension and maybe some body roll. Now I just let it go straight and it does. Overall, I am quite happy with it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This has been my experience, as well. I've definitely been overly perceptive of the steering (and probably overthinking it) since there are so many complaints about it. My steering is actually more responsive than my Sierra was. The Rubicon has a soft suspension and is prone to some body roll, as well. I noticed that there were times I was correcting over rough road when the JT hadn't actually wandered off course. My perception of the vehicle needing a steering correction was just the suspension and maybe some body roll. Now I just let it go straight and it does. Overall, I am quite happy with it.
I think you have defined what I felt with mine, even though it's just an Overland, pretty well. I do love the ride and you can tell the suspension has a lot of travel - for obvious reasons. Where another truck might see the suspension move an inch up, this feels more like 2" - so sharp jolts aren't so sharp with these. the body sort of moved slowly along with things absorbing the abruptness. Hard to explain, more of a feel or perception. Even if you are used to Jeeps in general, these are longer and the suspension made for hauling and pulling so even if totally fine and normal, I am guessing they'd feel different.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you got a good one!!
I noticed today, after seeing that I have about 280 miles on it now and was again driving our rural roads by the river - winding, hilly, etc. and then getting to the straight highway and being able to hit 70 - I find myself more relaxed and using only one hand more often than I did the first couple of drives. I'm the sort that after driving a vehicle enough times or long enough it becomes an extension of me - I think I'm about to that point - I know what to do or not do and the truck tracks nicely, I'm no longer over-compensating.
Wind can still be an issue but then I knew I was buying a vehicle with a side profile similar to an 18 wheeler with a box trailer.

I have the red-headed step child, a bone-stock Overland with tire inflation left as I got it - 39 psi each.

May as well trim the sails and enjoy.

(notes: I might eventually change tires, MAY level it a tad, but if I do, not by much, definitely need steps for my wife)

DoneDeal

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have 4.5 lift on 38s. I felt like their was room for improvement so I removed the factory stabilizer for the rough country dual stabilizer. It was even worse! I have the fox adjustable one on order And I am looking forward to getting The steering reasonable again. I won’t even let my wife drive it for now. Damn shame for a 60k vehicle

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have 4.5 lift on 38s. .............. Damn shame for a 60k vehicle
If it was stock I'd agree - but you've changed multiple variables. A lot. We don't know what you did as far as alignment and so on.

DoneDeal

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Understood. I will post again once Fox stabilizer is installed. That way I can say I have run stock, RC, and Fox within 10 Miles of each other after I installed my lift.

PUGLIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, SSMT
Geez is this real housewives of JT. It’s a Jeep. steering is gonna be looser than a Honda. If you think you gotta problem take it to the dealer. A better stabilizer may reduce the walk but not eliminate it. A track bar brace will help more.

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-...-and-sector-shaft-brace.html?category_id=4980

So will a better suspension. Flattening out tires. That’s why we upgrade and build our Jeeps. I understand complaining if you got a real issue. However, If you’re gonna go tattle how “You’re Jeep” shouldn’t walk like every other Jeep I’ve ever owned or driven. Maybe you should have done your research on what you where purchasing.

Sponsored

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before saying "It's a Jeep thing" watch these videos. This truck steers like the 20 yr old 55 chevy I had 44 yrs ago.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
People such as myself with a Jeep that handles no worse, perhaps nicer, than my Silverado did, at least as well and maybe better than my WJ does, we prove it's not a Jeep thing. If it was a "Jeep thing" we'd be able to show that those with no steering issues were few and far between but instead we've shown those with the issue are not common.
That alone is proof "it's NOT a Jeep thing".
Jeep thing means most will do it and it's normal. The opposite is true. Most of us here are proof of that.
I've driven two - bought one of those - both handled as well as anything I've ever owned and better than some.
As a professionally trained - and college trained - tech, having done hundreds of front ends - to me, my arm-chair diagnosis points to a steering sector or electronics issues in most cases. What many have described in good detail is akin to a worn out steering sector. My SX4 did what some folks are talking about until I replaced the steering sector at about 180,000 miles. Even others said "hey, your steering sector is worn out" when helping me diagnose a vibration - that happened to be a damaged wheel in the end.
I still leave it out here that if someone who DOES have this issues comes to my shop, I will look it over and we will both compare - both drive theirs and mine. Mine is a known "well behaved" vehicle.
OR the dealer needs to let those with the "loose steering syndrome" DRIVE another JT or even two on a test drive.
Maybe time for a dealer sponsor to lend a hand....... invite forum members to stop by and drive any JT on their lot to compare.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Geez is this real housewives of JT. It’s a Jeep. steering is gonna be looser than a Honda. If you think you gotta problem take it to the dealer. A better stabilizer may reduce the walk but not eliminate it. A track bar brace will help more.

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-...-and-sector-shaft-brace.html?category_id=4980

So will a better suspension. Flattening out tires. That’s why we upgrade and build our Jeeps. I understand complaining if you got a real issue. However, If you’re gonna go tattle how “You’re Jeep” shouldn’t walk like every other Jeep I’ve ever owned or driven. Maybe you should have done your research on what you where purchasing.
That's a big insult, a slap in the face, to a number of forum members for whom this JT is NOT their first Jeep and who have had Jeeps for years before the JT and had no real issues.
Besides, this is being sold to a different market in a sense - to draw people away from Colados, Tacos and other trucks.
There's also a suspension engineer out there who did an interview a while back who showed how this type front suspension has morphed and changed over the years - improved, and that today there is no need for them to act like a left-over Korean war Jeep.
He talked about the heavier track bars being used that helped to eliminate flex - but this was about the DEATH wobble - not the loose steering. They won't be the smooth sports car ride and handling of a Porsche but there's no reason for them to be like a worn out relic either. Times have changed. Loose steering is an issue. Most of these are talking about steering, not wobble. Apples and oranges.
And I thought I was bad at insulting dozens of people in one fell swoop.
Do what you want with YOUR vehicle but to imply these people are all stupid and have never owned or driven jeeps is akin to one of my messages. I have an excuse.......
(My brother recently sold a nice Wrangler that for a while was his daily driver - he had no steering issues...... he said it handled nicely. I know my brother - family is the most important thing on the planet to him and if there had been even a hint of an issue he'd never have let his kids or wife drive it. He's anal about that stuff - hint of a problem, they can't touch it. I swear he'd badly injure anyone who hurt his family. (and he's a former body builder))

PUGLIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, SSMT
That's a big insult, a slap in the face, to a number of forum members for whom this JT is NOT their first Jeep and who have had Jeeps for years before the JT and had no real issues.
Besides, this is being sold to a different market in a sense - to draw people away from Colados, Tacos and other trucks.
There's also a suspension engineer out there who did an interview a while back who showed how this type front suspension has morphed and changed over the years - improved, and that today there is no need for them to act like a left-over Korean war Jeep.
He talked about the heavier track bars being used that helped to eliminate flex - but this was about the DEATH wobble - not the loose steering. They won't be the smooth sports car ride and handling of a Porsche but there's no reason for them to be like a worn out relic either. Times have changed. Loose steering is an issue. Most of these are talking about steering, not wobble. Apples and oranges.
And I thought I was bad at insulting dozens of people in one fell swoop.
Do what you want with YOUR vehicle but to imply these people are all stupid and have never owned or driven jeeps is akin to one of my messages. I have an excuse.......
(My brother recently sold a nice Wrangler that for a while was his daily driver - he had no steering issues...... he said it handled nicely. I know my brother - family is the most important thing on the planet to him and if there had been even a hint of an issue he'd never have let his kids or wife drive it. He's anal about that stuff - hint of a problem, they can't touch it. I swear he'd badly injure anyone who hurt his family. (and he's a former body builder))
Did you reAd through the entire thread? I did. Some talked about the DW. Most were complaining about steering walking a bit. Very minimal.

I also stated in my post if you feel there is a issue go to your dealer and get it checked out. I’ve driven a wide variety of vehicles for a long time. Every make of vehicle has different characteristics. It doesn’t matter to me who Jeep is marketing. That’s exactly my point. Loose steering is very vague and there will always be those vehicles with issues. However I would venture to say that most have not experienced a Jeep and have come from some form of IFS. So suck it up, get it fixed and or move on.

there is no massive recall on steering issues related to the JT is there???‍♂

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you reAd through the entire thread? I did. Some talked about the DW. Most were complaining about steering walking a bit. Very minimal.

I also stated in my post if you feel there is a issue go to your dealer and get it checked out. I’ve driven a wide variety of vehicles for a long time. Every make of vehicle has different characteristics. It doesn’t matter to me who Jeep is marketing. That’s exactly my point. Loose steering is very vague and there will always be those vehicles with issues. However I would venture to say that most have not experienced a Jeep and have come from some form of IFS. So suck it up, get it fixed and or move on.

there is no massive recall on steering issues related to the JT is there???‍♂
Minimal?
And you mention a recall? LOL - wow, what a joke. That is funny - no recall thus no trouble. You base there being no real problem on the fact there's no recall? You aren't serious are you? These companies wait for a large number of complaints, often for accidents or worse, before they issue any sort of a recall. I've worked in the field long enough to know in some cases there is never a recall. They just address things as they come. Did you know there's a recall out for Grand Cherokees - made in and before 2016?!! Yeah - 3 years after they quit building the vehicles with a problem. It was similar for my Chevy truck - the truck existed for a long time - and then into the NEXT model year they issue a recall for troubles. Ford - how many brake fires were there before THEY said there was a problem. People complained for months - oh, yeah, I guess that does get hot.
Never base anything on whether or not there's a recall. That's a poor indicator at best.
I guess you haven't see the OTHER threads where people who have owned Jeeps over the years are complaining - and we're talking about 2" of play. That's a whole lot when it should respond within less than an inch. Suspension type has little to do with steering response.
You also failed to see in the several other threads where they say they have TRIED and the dealer simply responds they don't know what to do.
They are trying to get an issue resolved and the dealers "can't find anything wrong" because they aren't looking in the right places.
I stand by my post - very insulting to these people with the issue and who HAVE owned and driven Jeeps in the past and who have proven the differences.
There are other threads besides this one.
Sponsored