Sponsored

Rubicon suspension takeoff question

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I found someone trying to unload their Rubicon suspension takeoffs for $300. That price seems to be in line with Rubicon takeoffs in the Wrangler market, but a little cheaper for a Gladiator. They say these only have 200 miles on them, so even with some exaggeration on the "newness," I'm probably looking at components with less than 1,000 miles.
It only has 2 of the 4 sway bar links, and doesn't include the 2 front isolators. Any idea if the Overland already has isolators that will work with these components, or will I have to buy a pair? How much would it cost for the 2 shorter sway bar links?
2019-08-26-png.png
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Going with my experience with the JL(Which should be the same up front) The lower Isolators and swaybar links are the same across all trims. Even the lower control arms were the same part #'s on the early JL's I checked.

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
Going with my experience with the JL(Which should be the same up front) The lower Isolators and swaybar links are the same across all trims. Even the lower control arms were the same part #'s on the early JL's I checked.
TTE Chris is correct. The Rubicon stock lower control arms, all 4 sway bar links and spring seats are all the same. All you really need to change are the springs and shocks. The rest are all spare parts. The lift kit, longer new sway bar links, and lower control arms were to accommodate the height increase.

OP
OP
jhale1800

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
Thanks. I went ahead and got the takeoffs, and I'm sitting higher now. I like the firmer setup.
Anybody looking for some Overland takeoffs? ;)

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at doing the same. Was it a noticeable difference with the rubicon springs and shocks in appearance and ride?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jhale1800

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They feel a little stiffer and ride a little higher. Road manners and steering don't feel much different, but it really helps offroad. I went on some of the easier trails in Uwharrie, and I probably wouldn't have been able to get through them without the extra lift. I hope to add 35's one day, and I think the suspension setup will be just right.

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Hate to be "that guy", but after searching since before i purchased my sport s with max tow....i have read roughly 50/50 regarding if rubicon springs actually get you a taller ride height.

Some say the rubicon is just taller simply because of the raised fender flares and 33s from factory but doesn't actually have spring height adding to ride height, others say it actually gains you an inch of height over sport springs, plus added flex from long travel fox shocks over stock sport s shocks.

By now i figure plenty have first hand factual confirmation. So, can anyone confirm? Are rubicon springs going to get me an inch of height and a bit more travel from the shocks?

DebT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Hate to be "that guy", but after searching since before i purchased my sport s with max tow....i have read roughly 50/50 regarding if rubicon springs actually get you a taller ride height.

Some say the rubicon is just taller simply because of the raised fender flares and 33s from factory but doesn't actually have spring height adding to ride height, others say it actually gains you an inch of height over sport springs, plus added flex from long travel fox shocks over stock sport s shocks.

By now i figure plenty have first hand factual confirmation. So, can anyone confirm? Are rubicon springs going to get me an inch of height and a bit more travel from the shocks?
I’m wondering the same thing so I’ll follow this thread closely. A friend of mine will give me his Rubicon take offs, but I don’t want to go to any trouble if it doesn’t give me any gain in height. I am buying his Falken 33’s take offs to replace my 31’s. I also have the Sport S with max tow.

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I recently picked up a set of Rubicon springs (and lucky enough to snag the metal bumper, rock rails and wheels and tires at the same time) and the numbers on the springs are definitely higher. I have not had the time to install them yet. I also have a Teraflex 1.5 spacer kit for front and 3/4 daystar for the rear waiting as well and debating to do both at the same time or just springs first and then spacer if needed. I already switched from my overland wheels and tires to the launch edition Rubicon wheels and Falken AT with a difference of maybe a half inch of ride height measured from ground to frame. I am running the Falcon shocks and adjustable steering stabilizer so I wont be using the stock fox shocks. i will make sure to measure when i do the install and report back.

Texas_Gladiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1998 Wrangler
I have similar questions. I have a Sport S, no max tow. Currently running 35's with 2" Daystar lift front and rear. I see someone selling their Rubicon takeoff suspension springs, Fox shocks, and end links for $300. Seems reasonable to me, just wondering if worth it? I am not concerned so much about gaining any height, but what would I get from doing this? Will it make much difference wheeling?

Sponsored

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed springs last night. Just drove it around the neighborhood to make sure everything was since it was late. Height difference of 3/4 of an inch with a little less rake than the old springs. However I will measure again after a few days to see if things settle. I have to take a load of wood to a friends house tomorrow so I will definitely see the difference with a load on the springs. The short ride first impressions are a more solid and firm ride but again was a short one.
Original front springs were 325&330AB and replaced with 340&343AC
Rear springs were 439&440AC and replaced with 450AB&451AC
I will add more after I get some miles on it and will be adding my spacers for just a little additional clearance.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I recently picked up a set of Rubicon springs (and lucky enough to snag the metal bumper, rock rails and wheels and tires at the same time) and the numbers on the springs are definitely higher. I have not had the time to install them yet. I also have a Teraflex 1.5 spacer kit for front and 3/4 daystar for the rear waiting as well and debating to do both at the same time or just springs first and then spacer if needed. I already switched from my overland wheels and tires to the launch edition Rubicon wheels and Falken AT with a difference of maybe a half inch of ride height measured from ground to frame. I am running the Falcon shocks and adjustable steering stabilizer so I wont be using the stock fox shocks. i will make sure to measure when i do the install and report back.
How do you find the ride changes after just this wheel/tire swap? I've got a lead on LE wheels and ATs locally. I think they will look really sharp with Gobi.
He also has the stock Rubi suspension for cheap, thanks for posting your thoughts there.

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
When I did just the tire and wheel swap, there was no change to me in how the gladiator shifted and the feel of power from before(IF that makes sense). the wheels felt heavier when installing on the Jeep. The ride had a subtle change from the Dueller H/T that came with the overland to the Falken A/T on the Rubicon wheels. it felt a little stiff for lack of better descriptive words. I did adjust the tire pressure some and it made a diffference since they had 40 psi in them when I received them. I now enjoy the feel and look of the Rubicon over the Overland wheels and tires.

Hope that helps

Rebornfungus

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed springs last night. Just drove it around the neighborhood to make sure everything was since it was late. Height difference of 3/4 of an inch with a little less rake than the old springs. However I will measure again after a few days to see if things settle. I have to take a load of wood to a friends house tomorrow so I will definitely see the difference with a load on the springs. The short ride first impressions are a more solid and firm ride but again was a short one.
Original front springs were 325&330AB and replaced with 340&343AC
Rear springs were 439&440AC and replaced with 450AB&451AC
I will add more after I get some miles on it and will be adding my spacers for just a little additional clearance.
Which side did you put each on? I bought a Launch Edition set of take off’s with the same #’s. I’ve climbed under several rubi’s my dealers lot and looked at a bunch of posts and part listings and I’ve seen has led me to believe either each side doesn’t matter or different builds have mixes of springs that you just can’t know with a dealers help.

I think it should be 343AC and 450AB on Drivers side. I figure if you confirm you’ve been running without issues for months now... I’ll go with what you did.

Thanks in advance

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Which side did you put each on? I bought a Launch Edition set of take off’s with the same #’s. I’ve climbed under several rubi’s my dealers lot and looked at a bunch of posts and part listings and I’ve seen has led me to believe either each side doesn’t matter or different builds have mixes of springs that you just can’t know with a dealers help.

I think it should be 343AC and 450AB on Drivers side. I figure if you confirm you’ve been running without issues for months now... I’ll go with what you did.

Thanks in advance
The heavier springs, the higher numbers, go on the right side to offset the fuel tank is the thing I've been seeing, and confirmed after crawling under a couple, including mine, and buying other springs.
This isn't chaos - it's a logical mix depending on the options and weight of the vehicle!
For example, a Rubicon for REAR springs may have 450 and 451 rear coils OR in another case, 449 and 450 rears - the higher number, or stiffer spring, was the right side spring.
So when you say "Rubicon springs" - which ones? The stiffer springs would have been on one with the most options, fully loaded, heaviest, likely with the tow package as well.
It's not like they grab springs and throw them on willy-nilly. And the side matters.
The dealer can't tell you - they can only tell you what a Rubicon MAY have - they have to go by what it came with. So if you go to a dealer and say I want a set of Rubicon springs - they'll show you a list of possible springs - based on the options and weight of the Rubicon involved.
Sponsored