35s or 37s?

Diefenthalj1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Do you wheel in it? I'm hoping to get away with a 2.5" lift on 37's. It will mostly be a daily driver, but plan to take it to Moab a few times a year. Mostly just some moderate trails. Anyways, curious how the 3.5" works for you if you think its defiantly needed or if 2.5 will work.
I went with the 3.5” because I like the extra clearance. I had a 2.5” lift on my old Jeep and it would rub when I went off roading. I think the 2.5” is enough for 37s, but I really like the stance of the 3.5” better.
Sponsored

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I added 2” spacers to eliminate the rubbing. I think I would like a 1” spacer better, but can’t seem to find any online. Does anyone know if there is a 1” spacer out there that will fit?

030C789E-2F34-4E8A-A911-4F0BDE5FBA90.jpeg

5435374F-AE03-46F4-BB54-EAC8F610CB10.jpeg

BE48F3CF-44F8-44E4-B3F9-32CB3BD7624C.jpeg

3EF43CDB-B1C5-415D-BB56-F6652D2CC665.jpeg
Teraflex makes a kit that has a two piece spacer, use both for 1.5 or just one for 1 inch...

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
Teraflex makes a kit that has a two piece spacer, use both for 1.5 or just one for 1 inch...
If you plan on towing, I highly suggest not doubling up spacers.

Sponsored

Deleted member 24880

I ordered a set of 35x12.5x20 on a set of Black Rhino Abrams. Can’t wait to get them on. It’s my daily driver so I elected not to go 37. Hope I don’t regret the decision.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I put 37`s on my Rubicon yesterday with no lift. City driving it`s almost the same as with the stock 33`s and the ride is smoother. Have not done any extended freeway driving yet but what i did i have no complaints about the 37`s.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
37s all the way. The comments about worn suspension components and comparing them to previous Jeeps is unfounded. The Gladiator components are beefier. Adding 20 lbs. of weight and 12% diameter per wheel is minor from a suspension impact perspective. Towing causes significantly more stress. Don't give it another thought. However, if towing is your thing, you should take a hard look as your max capacity will be impacted.

Jdschell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Accord, 20 Palisade, 20 Gladiator
37s all the way. The comments about worn suspension components and comparing them to previous Jeeps is unfounded. The Gladiator components are beefier. Adding 20 lbs. of weight and 12% diameter per wheel is minor from a suspension impact perspective. Towing causes significantly more stress. Don't give it another thought. However, if towing is your thing, you should take a hard look as your max capacity will be impacted.
Which specific components are beefier? I haven't seen any documentation stating so, I'm not saying there isn't, but I don't know of any. BTW, I'm a begginer 4wd person.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I put 37`s on my Rubicon yesterday with no lift. City driving it`s almost the same as with the stock 33`s and the ride is smoother. Have not done any extended freeway driving yet but what i did i have no complaints about the 37`s.
Ride should be smoother - think about the lowly "lawn mower" and how much easier it is to push one with bigger wheels and how it won't feel every little bump in the yard. Hit a curb with a small wheel or walk over it with a large wheel.
Unless you get higher ply numbers or a stiffer tire over-all, I'd expect your results as far as smooth ride.
My question is - how's acceleration from a stop, and did it impact the MPG or do you even care?
Just curious, that's all.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Which specific components are beefier? I haven't seen any documentation stating so, I'm not saying there isn't, but I don't know of any. BTW, I'm a begginer 4wd person.
Gladiator has Dana 44s front and rear. The axle tubes are something like 10 or 11 mm thicker and the axles larger. At least that's what I get from Jeep info.
The links if I recall correctly, are also designed based on the RAM links - is that right, guys?(and gals)

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
If you get the chance, glance under a JK and then under a Gladiator (not sure of JLs). The steering components on the JKs look like toothpicks comparatively.

Jdschell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Accord, 20 Palisade, 20 Gladiator
So you guys think running 37s would be fine with stock components. Right now it's my daily driver, but want to get off road and possibly some rocks (scared to mess up my new ride). I know there's a big debate on this, if not, what components are a must replacement? Brakes, gears, etc.???

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Ride should be smoother - think about the lowly "lawn mower" and how much easier it is to push one with bigger wheels and how it won't feel every little bump in the yard. Hit a curb with a small wheel or walk over it with a large wheel.
Unless you get higher ply numbers or a stiffer tire over-all, I'd expect your results as far as smooth ride.
My question is - how's acceleration from a stop, and did it impact the MPG or do you even care?
Just curious, that's all.
City, stop and go driving i cannot tell any difference, acceleration feels the same as with 33`s. The overdrive gears 7-8th the trans will jump between these gears at times, if this transmission was a six speed without the overdrive gears some would say the gearing is near perfect but having the two extra gears and not being able to fully utilize them shows that there is room for improvement. But overall i do not feel a rush to re-gear, i will when money permits. I will be adding my lift soon and this might want me to re-gear sooner.

Regarding MPG i would not have bought this truck if MPG was a concern, what i get just comes with the territory considering the truck and the mods i have done. According to the computer my MPG has not changed but i have not done any heavy hauling or towing yet.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So you guys think running 37s would be fine with stock components. Right now it's my daily driver, but want to get off road and possibly some rocks (scared to mess up my new ride). I know there's a big debate on this, if not, what components are a must replacement? Brakes, gears, etc.???
Don't even worry about the brakes on these - they are beefy brakes and have a good sticky pad in them, IMO. I don't know the COF of these pads, but the brakes on this JT of mine are among the best brakes I've had on a vehicle. The only way this wouldn't stop and hold where I want it would be if I was on ice or slick snow pack. If you need to stop and hold position, it will. Gears are beefy - you MAY want deeper gears, a lower ratio/higher numerical number if you go LARGE tires, but the 4.10s on the Rubicon and Sport S with max tow should be fine for most folks, except the insane hard-core folks here (just kidding, a couple of them are sane enough)
Sponsored