2020 JTR

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
I just did this mod last night with the same thumbscrews. I was very disappointed to hear how much the top rattles now. Yes, the thumbscrews are tight and yes they all have the washers installed properly.

1/10, will be putting stock bolts back in tonight.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
We have nothing more than a $5 torx screwdriver that rides along in the JKU- it takes a solid 4min to zip out the 8 bolts.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
No need to spend $250. I happen to like Milwaukee power tools and that was the first link I found. Simple solution is just any power ratchet/screwdriver.
Agree with you that Milwaukee power tools are very good.

Reactions: Tim

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Bought a new soft top today and need to copy your hack for this weekend. Went to local hardware store and bought (4) 1/4 x 1.5" with wing nuts for the top cover and (4) 1/4 x 3.5" for the roof holder.
Why 1/4" because fits in the hole without damaging the thread for after trip by the one from Amazon.

20191108_223408.jpg

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I don't regret going with the soft top option but I REALLY hate the fact the top lays on the back when opened.

The top is actually very light and only held on by four bolts.

So, I purchased a set of Quick Release Thumbscrews for a hardtop (6 in a package)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5O6JC0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I used them for the top (4). - You are still going to want 6 because you are going to want to double up on the washers for the front bolts.

It now takes about 3-4 min to be totally topless.

Here are the photos...

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 2.54.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 2.54.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 2.54.39 PM.png
Thanks!!! Just got my soft top NCC and getting ready to put on. Ordered these!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Thanks!!! Just got my soft top NCC and getting ready to put on. Ordered these!
You will love those. One of the best mods for the JT.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the bed is big enough. I am looking for a couple of 'covers' and a tied down system for just an occasion. - I want a cover for it since I have the Bedliner and that could beat it up pretty good.
Have you found a cover yet? One that will protect the Bedliner from the soft top's frame, and protect the Soft Top from the abrasive bedliner?

I'm thinking a tarp with eyelets and a pair of cheap caribiners might work. The Soft Top can be laid on the tarp in the bed, then the tarp can wrap over it from both sides. One caribiner on each side (cab side & tailgate side) could stay permanently in the corners of the tarp, then pair with whichever other grommet gives the tarp its best fit.

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Have you found a cover yet? One that will protect the Bedliner from the soft top's frame, and protect the Soft Top from the abrasive bedliner?

I'm thinking a tarp with eyelets and a pair of cheap caribiners might work. The Soft Top can be laid on the tarp in the bed, then the tarp can wrap over it from both sides. One caribiner on each side (cab side & tailgate side) could stay permanently in the corners of the tarp, then pair with whichever other grommet gives the tarp its best fit.
Nothing yet. Maybe Bestop will come up with something. Needs a different rail system to fold all the way back.

GOT16

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sting Gray
is this mod still working out good?
I thought one of the post said it rattle a lot?
Been waiting for after market soft top, but nothing yet.
Getting impatient and will probably just buy the stock one, but really like the option to completely remove it.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
is this mod still working out good?
I thought one of the post said it rattle a lot?
Been waiting for after market soft top, but nothing yet.
Getting impatient and will probably just buy the stock one, but really like the option to completely remove it.
working great, no issues with it fully removing or just folding back like this. only downside is storing the bolts since they really don't fit in the under the seat holder anymore like this.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Soft top installed. Used the bolts.
The knobs just arrived. Will try them.

Duck27

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Nothing yet. Maybe Bestop will come up with something. Needs a different rail system to fold all the way back.
Did your soft top come with this cover? Mine came secured in this from Mopar. I ordered The bolts you showed to take it off quickl. Thanks for posting this. A365A3E0-F51C-4C5A-9FE6-84C7ACC30DE9.jpeg

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Did your soft top come with this cover? Mine came secured in this from Mopar. I ordered The bolts you showed to take it off quickl. Thanks for posting this. Jeep Gladiator Total Topless Hack (For Soft Top) A365A3E0-F51C-4C5A-9FE6-84C7ACC30DE9
I got a soft top only it did not come with anything like that in mine. Just two strange velcro straps I never used and lost.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I got a soft top only it did not come with anything like that in mine. Just two strange velcro straps I never used and lost.
My soft top also came with this storage cover when I took it out of that huge cardboard box that contained all the parts. Those two velcro straps are for wrapping around the top hardware so that it does not cause buffeting on the fwy. They do not seem to be needed. There is also some stretch straps to roll up the back window, but, I read on the wrangler forum that this can cause "clouding" of the back window over time, so, I just take my window off, keep it straight, and put it into the mopar bag in the back of the bed.
Sponsored