GEOLANDAR X-AT or NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER

Bouve124

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon (Gator), Genesis G70 Sport
Looking for opinions on which tire to run.

Yokohama GEOLANDAR X-AT

Or

NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER

Will be running 37x12.5x17

Thanks n
Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for opinions on which tire to run.

Yokohama GEOLANDAR X-AT

Or

NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER

Will be running 37x12.5x17

Thanks n
I have been running Nitto Ridge Grapplers & they are very good all around hybrid tire half m/t half a/t . Wearing evenly & long lasting.
Yokohama makes a great tire both are a little heavy but strong sidewalls also. I had Yokohama geolanders on my excursion they where the only tire that lasted & did well in the rain.

giraffemode

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Telecom Program Mgr.
I've had 35x12.5r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my JL for the past year, put about 20k miles on them and maybe only 300-400 miles offroad and many 1000s pulling my camper trailer. They haven't failed me offroad in sugar sand in the desert, mud, or rocks. They are showing quite a bit of chips and nicks though at this point but plenty of tread depth left. I can probably get another 20k at least.

For my JT I'll be going with Yokohama Geolandar X-AT 37x12.5r17s. My first reason for the switch is that I can get the Yokohamas in a D load rating. E is overkill for a Wrangler or Gladiator. 4 D rated tires will carry twice the Glaidators GVWR with max payload. A more appropriate load rating will weigh less, be less expensive, ride better and be more flexible.

Second, the Yokohamas are chaper than the equivalent Ridge Grapplers by about $30 a tire.

Third and most importantly, I've seen first-hand that the Geolandar X-ATs use a more durable rubber compound than the Ridge Grapplers. Last month I took a weekend-long offroad recovery course from a well-respected authority who I've taken other classes and an overland trip with. He gets sponsorsed by companies and receives products to review, and Yokohama is one of his sponsors. He had been running 35" Geolandar X-ATs for the past 6 months on his Ram Power Wagon, and had spent the summer putting 20k miles on them going up the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle. The Dalton Highway is notoriously rough and most poeple carry two spares on this trip. This guy carried just one spare but he didn't need it because. he didn't have any punctures. I examined them up close in comparison to my Ridge Grapplers, which have had a far less tiring 20k miles, and while tread depth had worn as expected, I couldn't find any of the chips and cracks that I had in my Nittos.

So for cheaper, lighter, and more durable, the Yokohama's won me over. Superficially, I kind of prefer the tread pattern; they look just a skosh more aggressive than the Ridge Grapplers. I almost went with a M/T, but living in Colorado and being a daily driver, I want more siping on the tread to helpt snowy/icy roads.

OP
OP

Bouve124

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses,. I actually ended up going with the Yokohama's. So far I love them, there are super quiet on the road. I was able to get them from my local tire guy for $300 each. (37x12.5x17). I haven't had a chance to take them offered yet but I'm sure they will do the job just fine!

I also can't believe how well the JT handles the 37's. Between the Yokohama's and the wheels each set weighs in around 110lbs each. I was worried it would be very sluggish, but she has plenty of power! The automatic trans does and awesome job!

IMG_20191121_144020.jpg

giraffemode

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Telecom Program Mgr.
Thanks for the responses,. I actually ended up going with the Yokohama's. So far I love them, there are super quiet on the road. I was able to get them from my local tire guy for $300 each. (37x12.5x17). I haven't had a chance to take them offered yet but I'm sure they will do the job just fine!

I also can't believe how well the JT handles the 37's. Between the Yokohama's and the wheels each set weighs in around 110lbs each. I was worried it would be very sluggish, but she has plenty of power! The automatic trans does and awesome job!

IMG_20191121_144020.jpg
Looks awesome. Glad to hear you're happy with the Yokohamas. How well did the spare fit under the bed?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bouve124

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks awesome. Glad to hear you're happy with the Yokohamas. How well did the spare fit under the bed?
I haven't bought the spare yet. When I ordered the wheels they only had 4 in stock. I will get the 5th wheel and tire in the near future. Hopefully I can squeeze it under there.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The X-AT is on my list, but I wish the sidewalls were a little more aggressive. And, the M/T G003 is less money.

deadbug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician

Jeep Gladiator GEOLANDAR X-AT or NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER IMG_20191121_144020
Will be getting these soon
any update you could add if your still riding on these?
likes, dislikes weather conditions!
thanks rich

OP
OP

Bouve124

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be getting these soon
any update you could add if your still riding on these?
likes, dislikes weather conditions!
thanks rich
So far we love them. We have about 15k miles on them and seem to be holding up well. We have done plenty of trails (rocks, mud, loose dirt and gravel) and have zero complaints. They are good in the rain, pretty low road noise as well. Snow would be the only complaint, and that's more due to the tires being wide not so much the tire itself.

deadbug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
So far we love them. We have about 15k miles on them and seem to be holding up well. We have done plenty of trails (rocks, mud, loose dirt and gravel) and have zero complaints. They are good in the rain, pretty low road noise as well. Snow would be the only complaint, and that's more due to the tires being wide not so much the tire itself.
Sounds good, thank you!

Sponsored

Rmsoverland

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Looks good. I'm looking at dropping my mud grapplers for these in a 37x13.5r17. What did you end up measuring out to with these under load (out of curiosity)?

Jeep Gladiator GEOLANDAR X-AT or NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER 5D0449CE-B33B-4B16-85F1-F6842C97E60C

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I haven't bought the spare yet. When I ordered the wheels they only had 4 in stock. I will get the 5th wheel and tire in the near future. Hopefully I can squeeze it under there.
Any updates on that spare? This tire is pretty close to an actual 37" tire, so not sure if it would fit under the bed or not.

vst

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the X-AT’s they came on my gladiator when I bought it and they seem just ok they have about 25k miles on them and are pretty loud already and I’ve had multiple times where I was entering onto a highway in the rain and the rear slips out. They have been good Offroad though. I’ll be going with something else in the future but will let these wear down a bit more first.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Any updates on that spare? This tire is pretty close to an actual 37" tire, so not sure if it would fit under the bed or not.
I have the 37” X-ATs on my JT and It will fit under the bed. I have a Hellwig anti sway bar, so not sure if that makes a difference.
Sponsored