Pro's/Con's putting Rubicon Suspension on an Overland

1proudpapa

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator overland
Watching this thread and hoping for an answer, just thought I'd come out and ask. Lots of take off rubi fox shocks - (shocks only) on ebay. Wondering if the fox shocks would work fine on my overland without upgrading the rest of the suspension components or would they be too short/long vs the overland shocks? Also would they improve the ride over the stock shocks? I just put 33s on 17 in rims on my overland, ditching the highway tires and 18 inch stock wheels and added a terraflex level in the front if that matters. Appreciate any input. Thank you.
Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Adding rubicon suspension alone won’t allow you to run 35s on a non Rubicon. The reason you can run 35s on a Rubicon is the fenders not the suspension. You would need 2” spacers or taller springs to run 35s on a non rubicon. Or add similar high fenders. But the rubicon suspension will for sure ride better on a trail just won’t add much if any height.

1proudpapa

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator overland
Just looking for a better
Adding rubicon suspension alone won’t allow you to run 35s on a non Rubicon. The reason you can run 35s on a Rubicon is the fenders not the suspension. You would need 2” spacers or taller springs to run 35s on a non rubicon. Or add similar high fenders. But the rubicon suspension will for sure ride better on a trail just won’t add much if any height.
Just looking for a better ride honestly.. I just put 33s and a 1 inch level kit on the front.. Thought maybe the fox would be smoother on my overland. No need for more height.. Like it the way it is. Thakks for the input appreciate it

El Medina

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'm looking at putting Rubicon take-off wheels/tires on my Overland. I'm wondering if it would make sense to change out the suspension to that of a Rubicon too. I'm having a hard time finding the differences between the two sets. What are the pros/cons of doing this? Does the Rubi suspension let me upgrade to 35's without a lift? Any help is much appreciated!!
Only difference are the coils and shocks... I've done it and added a teraflex 1 1/2 inches spacer to run 35's looks drives and handles great...

20191109_111522.jpg

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
It depends what you mean by "run". There are LOTS of people on this forum running 35's on Sports and Overlands on stock suspension. There is plenty of room. Some have to trim the inner bumper cover, esp those in Canada with those gap fillers. Are they rock crawling? Hell no, but they can "run" them.
Also, by all accounts on this forum the Rubi suspension gives 3/4" over the other suspensions.

Sponsored

TravisH88

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S W/ Max Tow
Only difference are the coils and shocks... I've done it and added a teraflex 1 1/2 inches spacer to run 35's looks drives and handles great...

20191109_111522.jpg
What size tire are you running? I have the exact same setup but running a stock rubicon size tire and it looks a little small.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Watching this thread and hoping for an answer, just thought I'd come out and ask. Lots of take off rubi fox shocks - (shocks only) on ebay. Wondering if the fox shocks would work fine on my overland without upgrading the rest of the suspension components or would they be too short/long vs the overland shocks? Also would they improve the ride over the stock shocks? I just put 33s on 17 in rims on my overland, ditching the highway tires and 18 inch stock wheels and added a terraflex level in the front if that matters. Appreciate any input. Thank you.
I swapped out the stock shocks for rubicon fox take offs this weekend. Before I did this I called fox and they said they were the same size, just a better quality shock. Per fox, this doesn’t change the height or towing capacity (by doing shocks only).

I haven’t got it on the highway (over 60 mph) but I do think it rides a little better- more stable on turns, less harsh over bumps, not as jerky vertically. I really didn’t pay that much for them, about 25% of what they were new, so I’d say it was worth it to me.

I didn’t not want to change out the rear springs because this would change the towing capacity. However, I may eventually change out the front springs, from what I have read that will increase the height by about an inch and possible improve the ride even more.

Bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Outback
I just got a Rubi take off suspension to put on my Overland. At the same time I am going to replace the front sway bar links with JKS quicker disconnects and put in 1 inch of the Teraflex leveling kit. The suspension I got came with coil spacers. I am guessing they go on the top of the rear springs. Not sure if I need them or should just leave the rest of the rear the same. It came with rear sway bar links but those look to the same length as what is already on there.

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
About to do the same to my sport. For those that have done it, and added a spacer lift - did you have to install an adjustable track bar? I'm only going to add the 1" spacer from the Teraflex kit after the Rubi lift...would rather do it all at once if it's needed.
Sponsored