Any Full-Size Converts?

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a bit of a compromise.

I bought my first full-size truck in 2003 (what they then-called a 1500HD); traded it in for an H2 in 2006; traded it in for a 2012 Rubi 4-Unlimited, which I built up. In 2015, I bought some land, and definitely needed a truck. Then, there was no Rubi truck. I wanted to keep the Rubi as well, but it didn’t make financial sense. I traded the Rubi for a 2015 Sierra crew cab. I ended up having to sell that recently due to a divorce settlement. So, I bought my 2020 Rubi Gladiator.

Overall, it’s my favorite vehicle since my H2. It’s both a Rubi with the lockers, Dana 44s, 4/1 xfer case ratio, etc. … and a truck.

I really like my Gladiator Rubi and I would rather have it than any other vehicle even close to its price range.

That being said (and I knew this going in), there were several advantages to the Sierra:

1. Bigger bed (5” longer; quite a bit wider).

2. The interior was much more expansive (e.g., appx. 18”-wide center console; additional cup holders and storage caverns in the door; never bump elbows with a passenger; secret compartment under the cup holders in front of the center console to store guns, etc. … that most criminals would never find).n Just more places for stuff.

3. On long highway trips (I do this a lot), the Sierra required far less attention (mostly steering; I’m looking into an after-market steering stabilizer to see if this can be improved).

4. Better gas mileage (I assume mostly due to aerodynamics); bigger gas tank.

Point #3 is probably the biggest advantage to me. I hope a new steering stabilizer might mitigate that.

That being said, I like the Gladiator overall much better, given its capability. I have a 120 acre mountain property in Colorado, and I likely can drive the Gladiator anywhere on the land year-round. My uncle got his F-150 stuck in the snow trying to get up part of it last April. I think the Glad. Rubi would have run through it with no problem.

I like that you can engage the front and rear lockers when the vehicle is stopped. My H3 (have to deliver to soon-to-be ex-wife) had to be rolling at 1-3 mph to engage them. So, you had to engage them before you get into trouble, which I didn’t like.
Sponsored

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
Check your caster angle. Maybe LCAs would be a better investment than a stabilizer

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a bit of a compromise.

I bought my first full-size truck in 2003 (what they then-called a 1500HD); traded it in for an H2 in 2006; traded it in for a 2012 Rubi 4-Unlimited, which I built up. In 2015, I bought some land, and definitely needed a truck. Then, there was no Rubi truck. I wanted to keep the Rubi as well, but it didn’t make financial sense. I traded the Rubi for a 2015 Sierra crew cab. I ended up having to sell that recently due to a divorce settlement. So, I bought my 2020 Rubi Gladiator.

Overall, it’s my favorite vehicle since my H2. It’s both a Rubi with the lockers, Dana 44s, 4/1 xfer case ratio, etc. … and a truck.

I really like my Gladiator Rubi and I would rather have it than any other vehicle even close to its price range.

That being said (and I knew this going in), there were several advantages to the Sierra:

1. Bigger bed (5” longer; quite a bit wider).

2. The interior was much more expansive (e.g., appx. 18”-wide center console; additional cup holders and storage caverns in the door; never bump elbows with a passenger; secret compartment under the cup holders in front of the center console to store guns, etc. … that most criminals would never find).n Just more places for stuff.

3. On long highway trips (I do this a lot), the Sierra required far less attention (mostly steering; I’m looking into an after-market steering stabilizer to see if this can be improved).

4. Better gas mileage (I assume mostly due to aerodynamics); bigger gas tank.

Point #3 is probably the biggest advantage to me. I hope a new steering stabilizer might mitigate that.

That being said, I like the Gladiator overall much better, given its capability. I have a 120 acre mountain property in Colorado, and I likely can drive the Gladiator anywhere on the land year-round. My uncle got his F-150 stuck in the snow trying to get up part of it last April. I think the Glad. Rubi would have run through it with no problem.

I like that you can engage the front and rear lockers when the vehicle is stopped. My H3 (have to deliver to soon-to-be ex-wife) had to be rolling at 1-3 mph to engage them. So, you had to engage them before you get into trouble, which I didn’t like.
For me #1 will be an issue only sometimes. When I go to a swap meet and buy stuff I have typically just tossed or shoved stuff in and not bothered being neat. That will have to change.
#3 yes - that's likely one of the bigger things because I'm used to having tons of space inside - cup holders, putting things like ICE SCRAPERS, brushes, my drinks, etc. in the doors and console - my sunglasses, my wife's stuff like nail files, all in the little area before the cup holders and under the radio - lots of space to stick "stuff" while driving.
But again - I think changing habits will help - my problem is I don't put things away neatly when done, I don't take out the trash each time.
The good that counters that - I can PARK IT INSIDE! More space for other stuff in the garage,
It will be an adjustment, but I'm getting more confident all the time - and will LOVE the storage behind and under the seats.
I have two small rubbermaid type tubs - one has bungee cords, the other ratchet straps and hitch things I typically tried to keep under the Silverado seats - I bet this Jeep holds all that without the tubs and without things sliding out from under the seats all the time like with the Chevy.

It will just force me into some better habits..........

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting thought. But my drive was stock from Louisville to Virginia. So, I would prefer something better if possible.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
For me #1 will be an issue only sometimes. When I go to a swap meet and buy stuff I have typically just tossed or shoved stuff in and not bothered being neat. That will have to change.
#3 yes - that's likely one of the bigger things because I'm used to having tons of space inside - cup holders, putting things like ICE SCRAPERS, brushes, my drinks, etc. in the doors and console - my sunglasses, my wife's stuff like nail files, all in the little area before the cup holders and under the radio - lots of space to stick "stuff" while driving.
But again - I think changing habits will help - my problem is I don't put things away neatly when done, I don't take out the trash each time.
The good that counters that - I can PARK IT INSIDE! More space for other stuff in the garage,
It will be an adjustment, but I'm getting more confident all the time - and will LOVE the storage behind and under the seats.
I have two small rubbermaid type tubs - one has bungee cords, the other ratchet straps and hitch things I typically tried to keep under the Silverado seats - I bet this Jeep holds all that without the tubs and without things sliding out from under the seats all the time like with the Chevy.

It will just force me into some better habits..........
You are right on. I had so much space in my Sierra that I didn't even try to use it efficiently. I bought a center console organizer for the JT and made an effort to organize things in the storage area under the rear seat. I think I actually have more stuff in my Gladiator even though it is far less cluttered.

The bed is similar. I primarily carry bikes, skis, and supplies for the occasional home improvement project. I have a wife, son, and a dog so cab space can be at a premium. I had a soft tonneau for the Sierra but most of the time it was open. For the JT I bought a Diamondback hard tonneau and a rack system so I can carry the bikes and skis above the bed and still have a weather proof (resistant) area for gear. I bought the Diamondback SE and it can handle a load of 400 pounds. The Diamondback HD can handle 1,600 pounds (which is more than the payload capacity of Gladiator).

Sponsored

Dr Kel

First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2020 GMC Denali HD, ...
Occupation
Goddess of Unstructured Data
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure if it counts as a convert, but I was about to buy a new 2020 DenaliHD to replace my parents' 2003 Sierra 2500HD. My dad was adamant that I not do it. :( I had been keeping an eye on the Gladiator out of morbid curiosity; I wanted a convertible and having a truck again might be interesting, so why not both? :like: This is my first midsized truck and my first Jeep. It’ll never replace the HD, but it is useful and fun to boot. :rock:

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Haven't made the move yet, waiting for the retrograde to end among other things before I make a move, but don't need full size, haven't ever towed and prefer shifting gears to the extra 100hp the Hemi offers.

After tomorrow, then I'll bring it up

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
I will be going from a Ford F-350 crew cab 4x4 diesel to this Gladiator. I will miss the room I have in my current truck but I don't need all this room any more. I could damn near play table tennis in this truck! Lol! I am looking forward to my Gladiator and being able to park without making 5 turns to squeeze in a spot. I have owned Jeep Wranglers before so I kinda know what I am getting into and I welcome it. The thing I will miss most about my old truck is that 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. I have beat the ever living crap out of this truck and it just keeps going and going. It drives straight as an arrow without hands, has no clunks or vibrations and doesn't make any weird noises. This truck so far has been the best I have ever owned. Ford definitely built this one right! Now, I hope Jeep has done the same with my Gladiator that should be here within the next couple weeks. Yall bare with my post please as I am not very good with punctuation.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Full size convert here, coming from a Ram 1500 regular cab, short bed, with the 5.7L hemi.

Had JK 2 and 4 doors before but in the end I'm a pickup guy.

I'll miss the power and torque of the 5.7L, but what converted me were the pros:
- fun factor
- easy-off freedom panels
- relatively easy-off roof
- removable doors
- manual transmission
- off road capability (clearance, articulation, front and rear lockers)
- solid front axles (clearance, durability)
- more storage, lots of it lockable
- seats 5 if I need it
- rear seat area storage if I don't
- and best of all, all of that with a pickup bed
- more nimble than a full size, even on streets

vs the cons:
- long wheelbase (trails)
- low departure angle (trails)
- 3.6L V6 (power and torque)
- not as good as the Ram for tow & haul but for my purposes it will be good (not great)

But for me the pros outweigh the cons; I expect to adapt to the tradeoffs. I think I don't think I've ever been more excited about a new rig. Not perfect, but what is?

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure I'm a convert...but probably an idiot. Much like many on here I have a vehicle problem. I'm coming from a very well built TJ and a 2010 Titan. If you probably figured the Titan hauls the TJ. And...that's not changing. I was leasing a Cherokee but I turned that in and Purchased my JT. So the running joke in the house is... I had a Jeep (wrangler) and a truck...and now I have a Jeep Truck. Of course they are all white (only color I buy) The Titan is a 2010 with 37,000 miles on the ticker. It has barely seen a winter in the rust belt. However it's now my daily winter driver. The Gladiator and TJ get to stay warm and salt free this winter.

As for the full size truck...yeah the JT actually does a really good job of being a truck. It's smaller, no doubt. Three kids and the wife fit much better in the Titan for long trips. However the Gladiator is great and we both love driving it the most...next to the TJ. :)

Sponsored

Red Hot Sloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I used to work in construction so a truck was a must. Ive had full-size trucks since the 90’s: F150’s, then when my older son was 11 years old, He was sitting behind the drivers seat when I was bringing him home from school and could feel his knees pressed against my back as I was driving. This was in my F150 crew cab in September of 2007. The Nissan dealership was on our way so I just swung in so I could have him sit behind the driver seat of a Titan Crew Cab. With the drivers seat in the most rearward position my son had almost a foot of room between his knees and the back of the drivers seat. Hmm, lets test drive this thing.
The Titan had incredible power, drove quite nice too. So by the end of the week I bought one.
I had that Titan 12 years and 1 month, I traded it in on my Gladiator.
Over the course of the last decade or do, I was really desiring a Jeep but couldnt due to the need of a truck. I still need a truck, not so much for construction but just household, property use needs, I still do wuite a bit of “truck” stuff that I dont want a trailer for.
Our kids are grown, I dont need all the interior space, but still have a truck bed.
Pretty stoked to have both a Jeep and a truck in one.
I thought I would be disappointed with the Gladiators power compared to the Titan but am pleasantly surprised how well the 8sp tranny and 4:10’s move the Gladiator, even with my 35’s.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
The Titan had incredible power, drove quite nice too
It has really surprised me the Titan hasn't gained more popularity. It's a hell of a truck and in my opinion better than some of the other offerings. Especially for the price.

Red Hot Sloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
It has really surprised me the Titan hasn't gained more popularity. It's a hell of a truck and in my opinion better than some of the other offerings. Especially for the price.
Agree, I almost pulled the trigger on a New ‘19 Titan Pro4X, but I really wanted a Jeep. As much as I liked my Titan Im not dissapointed at all with the Gladiator.

Bigbrazen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2006 HSV GTO
I had a 2017 denali 2500, awesome truck. After a turkey hunt where I couldn't get on roads I had driven in my 2012 rubicon a 100 times I realized it was time to go. The cab size was great too. I tow 4 to 5 times a year my 28 foot pop up, mainly hunting. The gladiator blows it away in every capacity except towing, it isn't great when loaded, but a worthy compromise for the other 10 months of the year. I get more compliments and adoration for this vehicle than any other I have owned. Gladiator interior is far nicer than the cheap GM denali too. I didn't realize it didn't have a cd player until after I bought it, that sucks and my only real complaint. Gladiator was also too damn expensive, but oh well it's only money and I can make more.
Sponsored