Sponsored

BACKUP CAMERA GLARE - FIX

GLADI8TOR

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator LE - BSM, 2018 Dodge Durango SRT, 2017 Polaris SlingShot SL Le
So I know we all suffer from the Dreaded Backup Camera Glare. I did the Tape (Top and Bottom Test) and still was not happy. I use a Product called Lamin-X. It is a Headlight Taillight Tint Vinyl that is used for Tiniting Tailights etc.... I used it on my front Markers, Fogs and Tails.

Its a great product, used it for years and it hold up great to the elements.

PROCESS.

1- Order Lamin-X (As much as you want) Honestly you only need a 4" x 4" for this fix.

2- Use Blue Painters Tape to make a template around the Lens (DO NOT TAKE THE LENS OUT)

3- Take the painters tape and trace the pattern on the Lamin-x (Dont forget to reverse the pattern for the opposite side)

4- Cut out the Lamin-x, Clean the lens with Isopropyl alcohol and apply the decal.

5- Test and see. You can double up the Laminex if you want it even darker, but still Legal.

Pics Below.

Before, during and after. Camera Pic also.

Iam Former Navy and Now Coast Guard Reserve so my PARATUS License Plate means "Ready" if anyone is wondering.

BEFFORE.JPG

BEFORE THE LAMIN-X

IMG_9679.jpg

TEMPLATE LEFT

IMG_9680.jpg

TEMPLATE RIGHT

IMG_9681.jpg

LIGHT WITH NO LAMIN-X (CANT EVEN LOOK AT IT)

IMG_9682.jpg

Light after LAMIN-X Decal (You can clearly see how subdued it is)

AFTER.jpg

Now the Light does not make it up to the camera any longer

IMG_9684.jpg

Backup Camera No Glare
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Dreaded Backup Camera Glare. I did the Tape (Top and Bottom Test) and still was not happy. I use a Product called Lamin-X. It is a Headlight Taillight Tint Vinyl that is used for Tiniting Tailights etc.... I used it on my front Markers, Fogs and Tails.

Its a great product, used it for years and it hold up great to the elements.

PROCESS.

1- Order Lamin-X (As much as you want) Honestly you only need a 4" x 4" for this fix.

2- Use Blue Painters Tape to make a template around the Lens (DO NOT TAKE THE LENS OUT)

3- Take the painters tape and trace the pattern on the Lamin-x (Dont forget to reverse the pattern for the opposite side)

4- Cut out the Lamin-x, Clean the lens with Isopropyl alcohol and apply the decal.

5- Test and see. You can double up the Laminex if you want it even darker, but still Legal.

Pics Below.
BEFFORE.JPG

BEFORE THE LAMIN-X

IMG_9679.jpg

TEMPLATE LEFT
IMG_9682.jpg

Light after LAMIN-X Decal (You can clearly see how subdued it is)

AFTER.jpg

Now the Light does not make it up to the camera any longer
Does this come in different tints? Curious what grade this is you are using as it looks pretty dark.

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
Yeah it looks dark but doesn't when lit.

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Great option. Thanks for posting! I was considering buying window tint but a peel and stick product sounds like an easier solution.

On the lamin-x website they have four different options for how dark the film is. Which did you use in your photos??

Sponsored

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Nice fix! Thanks for posting. Like that plate to.

OP
OP
GLADI8TOR

GLADI8TOR

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator LE - BSM, 2018 Dodge Durango SRT, 2017 Polaris SlingShot SL Le
Great option. Thanks for posting! I was considering buying window tint but a peel and stick product sounds like an easier solution.

On the lamin-x website they have four different options for how dark the film is. Which did you use in your photos??
Charcoal, The Smoked has a Brownish hue to it

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep ain't the only one with glare. Sometimes with my Silverado it's so bad I can't see to line up the hitch to my trailer. If the sun is off to the side or behind, it's really bad. This is an interesting idea...........

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
This has me thinking, a smartphone privacy screen cover would be perfect. It'd let light straight through to the plate, but not at an angle to the camera. they're cheap and plentiful, but they're all tempered glass... the ones for computer monitors are plastic, but cost $50.
Time to find a Chinese plastic phone screen cover, I guess
Or get a diamond rotary cutoff and try my hand at cutting tempered glass... :ontheloo:

https://www.amazon.com/TECHO-Protec...rds=phone+privacy+cover&qid=1578582255&sr=8-6

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser