Alpine Stereo Headunit Factory Replacement - Pricing, Release Date, Demo

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
Nice! I like thump...lol to degree now. Used to love it back in the days of of car stereo upgrades working at Circuit City... but in these days I want clarity with some power to produce rich bass, not disortion.
Circuit City? That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.
Sponsored

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I already paid $1,300 for a $150 subwoofer. Now they've got a $3,000 head unit to go with it? How nice of them.

I think I need to get a job at Alpine.
If you look at the part numbers used in the premium stereo and compare them to the off the shelf cost of the same parts, it's not pretty. Pretty low end stuff too. However, I think they have tuned the factory stereo and Alpine upgrade fairly well, for most people.

I heard a gladiator at my local stereo and custom shop that had the premium sound, it was certainly a quality system compared to the stock. But, I wasn't that impressed with it, relative to the cost. I've seen others on the JL forums and some in here not super happy with the premium either.

I think it's fine for most, but some have higher standards for audio than others.

This Alpine unit really isn't an option for those with the 7 or 8.4 inch, I couldn't see spending the money for something that will have no impact on your overall sound, just features and appearance. I think the only folks looking to swap the head units are those of us with the 5 inch uconnect.

At this price, I'm not looking into this unit. The insane audio will most likely be half the price and once install kits and harnesses are all figured out, I think a solid head unit w/ install parts will be sub $1000 for some high end stuff. We shall see....

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Damn...they are pretty proud of that one.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you look at the part numbers used in the premium stereo and compare them to the off the shelf cost of the same parts, it's not pretty. Pretty low end stuff too. However, I think they have tuned the factory stereo and Alpine upgrade fairly well, for most people.

I heard a gladiator at my local stereo and custom shop that had the premium sound, it was certainly a quality system compared to the stock. But, I wasn't that impressed with it, relative to the cost. I've seen others on the JL forums and some in here not super happy with the premium either.

I think it's fine for most, but some have higher standards for audio than others.

This Alpine unit really isn't an option for those with the 7 or 8.4 inch, I couldn't see spending the money for something that will have no impact on your overall sound, just features and appearance. I think the only folks looking to swap the head units are those of us with the 5 inch uconnect.

At this price, I'm not looking into this unit. The insane audio will most likely be half the price and once install kits and harnesses are all figured out, I think a solid head unit w/ install parts will be sub $1000 for some high end stuff. We shall see....
The problem for me is that I went directly from a 2018 JLU with the standard system to the 2020 JT with the $1,300 Alpine system so I got a very good feel for the stock system before switching to the "premium" system, and the Alpine is a total disappointment. Yes, there is a little more bass because there's a sub, but that sub also rattles once you get past volume 14 and the rest of the system sounds identical to the standard system.

If you'd never ever owned one of these new models, you might be somewhat impressed with the Alpine system. But if you've owned both, it really brings out the fact that the Alpine system is EXTREMELY over-priced. It's an option I would leave off if I had it to do over again. $1,300 would buy a lot of great mods.

Sponsored

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Yes, there is a little more bass because there's a sub, but that sub also rattles once you get past volume 14 and the rest of the system sounds identical to the standard system.
I've been listening to pretty heavy music between 25 and 30 and haven't heard any rattle. I can't speak to the JL system but I tried both the stock and Alpine systems on test drives prior to ordering the Alpine and found the Alpine to be a significant improvement and can't say enough good things about it now that I have it. Perhaps it will start to rattle apart soon from playing it so loud but right now it's fantastic.

Oatmeal

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Love the alpine upgrade. The kicker is the sub options for the gladiator are really non existent. Rolling your own is really hard because there just isn’t room in the cab. I feel it was well worth the upgrade.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Great feedback, great perspective. Thanks. I often have felt that the bass boom boom boom boom sound is 100 percent total harmonic distortion.
The problem for me is that I went directly from a 2018 JLU with the standard system to the 2020 JT with the $1,300 Alpine system so I got a very good feel for the stock system before switching to the "premium" system, and the Alpine is a total disappointment. Yes, there is a little more bass because there's a sub, but that sub also rattles once you get past volume 14 and the rest of the system sounds identical to the standard system.

If you'd never ever owned one of these new models, you might be somewhat impressed with the Alpine system. But if you've owned both, it really brings out the fact that the Alpine system is EXTREMELY over-priced. It's an option I would leave off if I had it to do over again. $1,300 would buy a lot of great mods.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Love the alpine upgrade. The kicker is the sub options for the gladiator are really non existent. Rolling your own is really hard because there just isn’t room in the cab. I feel it was well worth the upgrade.
Alpine has a spendy unit for the JL that goes under the front seat. Checking my favorite online retailer shows some compact units from the other big brands for ~$150. might need a little creativity with mounting, but it'd be worth a go.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Love to have more details of this spendy unit that you are talking about. Model number? Thanks to advise.

Alpine has a spendy unit for the JL that goes under the front seat. Checking my favorite online retailer shows some compact units from the other big brands for ~$150. might need a little creativity with mounting, but it'd be worth a go.

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Love to have more details of this spendy unit that you are talking about. Model number? Thanks to advise.
The complete setup is the PSS-23WRA - retails for $1300. Can't seem to find it this afternoon, but I could have sworn I browsed past a stand-alone under seat JL sub- little under $500. I could have been mistaking.

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The complete setup is the PSS-23WRA - retails for $1300. Can't seem to find it this afternoon, but I could have sworn I browsed past a stand-alone under seat JL sub- little under $500. I could have been mistaking.
I've actually heard this kit installed on a Sport S with the 7 inch Uconnect at the stereo shop. They showed it to me when I went in inquiring about a full upgrade for my truck.

I will say it is a massive upgrade from the factory sound and adds that extra power and little punch some may want. They told me it ran bout $1700 installed.

I'm waiting for more robust options in lieu of recent metra speaker pod releases, but this kit seems simple that one could wire themselves at home. Tad pricey for the quality of speakers in the kit, but there is a charge for plug and play convenience i suppose.

Like I said, I think this kit is a great option for many. It will add that premium sound to a stock stereo that many of us didn't order and now want.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I've actually heard this kit installed on a Sport S with the 7 inch Uconnect at the stereo shop. They showed it to me when I went in inquiring about a full upgrade for my truck.

I will say it is a massive upgrade from the factory sound and adds that extra power and little punch some may want. They told me it ran bout $1700 installed.

I'm waiting for more robust options in lieu of recent metra speaker pod releases, but this kit seems simple that one could wire themselves at home. Tad pricey for the quality of speakers in the kit, but there is a charge for plug and play convenience i suppose.

Like I said, I think this kit is a great option for many. It will add that premium sound to a stock stereo that many of us didn't order and now want.
$1700 would be a reasonable labor rate for professional installation. I'm guessing the price is set to match the factory Jeep option as part of the OE vendor agreement.
For me, unless someone starts making a metal locker to go under the back seat, I'd probably go for a custom box there- plenty of room for a couple of 8s. It's only a matter of time until someone makes a good trim bezel for a double DIN head unit.