Sponsored

Old 105 Highway in Western NC

GladiatorHeel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone taken a ride along Old 105 near Linville Gorge before? I'm going to be out there this weekend and looking for tips, or places I should stop? I've looked up some great YouTube videos and there are some Wrangler threads I've read which highly recommend it. Thanks!
Sponsored

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2018 Jeep Compass Limited, 2020 Sting-Gray Rubicon Gladiator
It’s been the better part of a decade since I lived up that way... but on 181, you can pull off to hike to the upper Linville Falls. I would stop there regularly and go for the hike. Made for a nice swim but it’s probably too cold up that way now.

OP
OP
GladiatorHeel

GladiatorHeel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It’s been the better part of a decade since I lived up that way... but on 181, you can pull off to hike to the upper Linville Falls. I would stop there regularly and go for the hike. Made for a nice swim but it’s probably too cold up that way now.
Thanks for the tips. I do plan on doing some hiking. I have a cabin in Beech Mountain but haven't hiked out by Linville yet.

OP
OP
GladiatorHeel

GladiatorHeel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks for the tips. I do plan on doing some hiking. I have a cabin in Beech Mountain but haven't hiked out by Linville yet.
Just an update on this...I was up in the Linville area this weekend and did not end up making it out to Old 105, but I was able to get out to Table Rock Mountain for some hiking. There is about an 8 mile stretch of a dirt/gravel swtichback road which takes you up to a parking and picnic area near the summit. A good little road to exercise the Gladiator. The summit hike is a short 1 mile hike (albeit strenuous) from the parking. 360 views of the mountains, including Linville Gorge. Definitely recommend it!

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2018 Jeep Compass Limited, 2020 Sting-Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Just an update on this...I was up in the Linville area this weekend and did not end up making it out to Old 105, but I was able to get out to Table Rock Mountain for some hiking. There is about an 8 mile stretch of a dirt/gravel swtichback road which takes you up to a parking and picnic area near the summit. A good little road to exercise the Gladiator. The summit hike is a short 1 mile hike (albeit strenuous) from the parking. 360 views of the mountains, including Linville Gorge. Definitely recommend it!
Nice! Thanks for the tips. I’ll definitely be making some day trips up that way in the spring once I get a gladiator in my garage!
Still in D1 as of yesterday...

Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I've done Table Rock before. Really nice place to unwind but the hike/climb to the summit is a workout for sure. Some of those "steps" are a challenge for my smaller stature (short) wife.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
We really enjoy that area. Going to have to check out Table Rock next time.

DMC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
We really enjoy that area. Going to have to check out Table Rock next time.
You'll have to go with us over around the Gorges area of Western NC and upper SC to Jumping Off Rock. Some of us like to go over to the area in the January timeframe and ride the trails. Very easy trail and what a view when you get to the top! Jumping off rock trail is an easy 9 mile trail in and the road is nicer than most SC asphalt roads! I was just over at the Gorges area in late August and the trail head to this area had degraded. The trail was very narrow. Not enough room for two Jeeps to pass each other.
Attachment-1.jpeg

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
You'll have to go with us over around the Gorges area of Western NC and upper SC to Jumping Off Rock. Some of us like to go over to the area in the January timeframe and ride the trails. Very easy trail and what a view when you get to the top! Jumping off rock trail is an easy 9 mile trail in and the road is nicer than most SC asphalt roads! I was just over at the Gorges area in late August and the trail head to this area had degraded. The trail was very narrow. Not enough room for two Jeeps to pass each other.
Attachment-1.jpeg
January will be perfect. Enough time for FCA to actually build/deliver my JT (that is still in D1) and to get a few add-ons done - I'm in!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Did Old House Gap Road in the Linville area last weekend. More challenging than a lot of the dirt/gravel roads in the area but definitely doable in a Gladiator. My friend had a stock Tacoma and had no problems.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Did Old House Gap Road in the Linville area last weekend. More challenging than a lot of the dirt/gravel roads in the area but definitely doable in a Gladiator. My friend had a stock Tacoma and had no problems.
I don't recall getting an invite.

brookie0907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ UR 2020 JT Rubicon
Just moved to the Lake James area, but have been too busy to get out yet and explore any.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Attachment-1.jpeg
Are you talking about Gorges State Park near Lake Toxaway? If so, we have been on that trail down to the iron bridge, but now there's a gate so you can't drive on it. Took the TJ Rubicon down there, but not the JTR yet. January? Are the falls iced over normally? We may be headed that way over Christmas/New Year, any chance anyone will be that way during that time?

DMC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
Anybody got any confirmation that Old HWY 105 area is still accessible? I heard rumors it was being shut down or has been shutdown due to folks being less than respectable.
Sponsored