Spare tire- tire pressure monitor

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Does anyone know if the spare tire has a sensor on the air valve for the tire pressure monitoring system? I know lots of people here have replaced all 5 tires and wheels with all new rubber and rims. Just wondering if you had to pick up an additional sensor from your dealerships parts department when you did that or if there already was a sensor in your spare. Thanks to advise.
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Does anyone know if the spare tire has a sensor on the air valve for the tire pressure monitoring system? I know lots of people here have replaced all 5 tires and wheels with all new rubber and rims. Just wondering if you had to pick up an additional sensor from your dealerships parts department when you did that or if there already was a sensor in your spare. Thanks to advise.
I don't think the receiver recognizes 5 sending units, but I'm interested in knowing for sure

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
It only senses the 4 that are rolling down the road.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Will ask about it and will check out the spare before I leave the lot with my truck. My truck arrived at the destination rail facility yesterday. It’s a 2 hour drive to my dealership. So I am hoping to take delivery of it some time next week. Will get them to lower the spare so I can inspect the air valve. When they put the spare tire under the trucks the valves are at the top and can’t be seen from under the truck. If it’s not a tire pressure monitor valve then I will just get one from their parts department before I leave with my truck. Just wanted to avoid that hassle if anyone knew for a fact if the spares do or do not have them installed on that spare wheel.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I would think that the spare does have a tpms sensor in it so that when you put it on it will be picked up by the wheel monitor.
I don’t think there would be an exterior sensor for the spare tire back there.

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Will ask about it and will check out the spare before I leave the lot with my truck. My truck arrived at the destination rail facility yesterday. It’s a 2 hour drive to my dealership. So I am hoping to take delivery of it some time next week. Will get them to lower the spare so I can inspect the air valve. When they put the spare tire under the trucks the valves are at the top and can’t be seen from under the truck. If it’s not a tire pressure monitor valve then I will just get one from their parts department before I leave with my truck. Just wanted to avoid that hassle if anyone knew for a fact if the spares do or do not have them installed on that spare wheel.

Page 216 of the manual says that vehicles with a matching full size spare will have tpms sensor. No idea if the steel wheel is considered matching.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I will advise about this. I think everyone would be interested to know about this for the times when we all get flats. I would frankly be annoyed by my truck telling me that it gets no reading from my spare that is now rolling down the road after a flat change.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
58BA9B50-76D4-4517-BF73-0D6C8FFBF710.jpeg

Page 216 of the manual says that vehicles with a matching full size spare will have tpms sensor. No idea if the steel wheel is considered matching.
Hey @Rollcast thanks for the info. And just FYI I have looked under Sport S trucks, Overlands and Rubicons. And every single one of them had this generic looking steel wheel on it that did not match the other 4 on the trucks. See the attached picture. So I don’t know what “matching full size spare” they could be talking about. I have never seen a factory matching full size spare under any Gladiator. They all looked exactly like this one.

Have seen lots more trucks on lots where the dealership has put 5 new, different, larger wheels and tires on Gladiators with big mark ups for that. And am certain they put sensors on all 5.

Anyway as said I will advise about this once I take delivery of my truck as that is something that I will have checked before I leave the lot.

Sponsored

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
I take back my big no I thought you wanted to know if it monitored it while being a spare. I would think once it’s actually used and has a full revolution of energy it alerts the computer to pick it up would be my thoughts.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
The spare tire tpms sensor is read by the system it not show up on the graphic, but will read, so if you can not clear your fault check the spare, drove me crazy on my jeep till I figured it was my spare not my tires.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Gotcha @IceAge Am certain that this is the logic in all tire pressure monitor systems. Just need to see if my spare has the sensor or not. If it doesn’t then I will get one for the spare.

I take back my big no I thought you wanted to know if it monitored it while being a spare. I would think once it’s actually used and has a full revolution of energy it alerts the computer to pick it up would be my thoughts.

khokhonutt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Has anyone gotten a definitive answer on this?

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The spare tire does NOT have a sensor in it. I just put new wheels and tires on my Gladiator. I purchased a new oem sensor on ebay and had it installed on my spare so I can rotate them all in.
Sponsored