Sponsored

Digital-only sucks

coit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I'm late to this discussion, but one of the reasons these CD players are more expensive is likely due to being designed to withstand bumps on the road without skipping. They have some shock absorption and also some buffering and error correction most likely.

I bought my first portable CD player in the mid-80s and it had a car adapter that basically sat on springs. Times have surely changed!
Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
The cost on this one is down to $265, but still more than I want to spend right now. https://smile.amazon.com/Automotive-Integrated-Electronics-connection-USBCDPLAY2/dp/B07DJ2FBJY/ref=sr_1_9?crid=11JNU39XAPOM1&keywords=auto+usb+cd+player&qid=1570400291&sprefix=auto+usb+cd,aps,185&sr=8-9

I decided to try one of these, just to see how well it will work. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QX2RXQ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I ordered this cable to try with it, so the media cover isn't all the way up all the time. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R29QSF6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered a slot load unit, since that should be easier to deal with than the manual tray that comes on all the others this size. If this works in the truck, that will be great. If not, I can use it with the laptop, so I'm not really out anything. If it doesn't work, I may have to break down and try the expensive one.
I will be very interested to hear if that one, intended for use with a computer, will be recognized by and operable through/ with the factory controls

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I will be very interested to hear if that one, intended for use with a computer, will be recognized by and operable through/ with the factory controls
I've got all the pieces together. I'm going to try it out Wednesday after work.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
So, I was an audiophile way back when.... now I have all of my CDs and downloads on my MacBook Pro, and I literally have thousands of CD albums on it. So, my Iphone has about 1/4 of my albums on it, and if I want to listen to music nothing is better than my IPhone. I do listen to XM because it is simpler. However I love progressive rock and the more intelligent classic rock, so there is literally no Pandora or Apple or etc... version that is as concentrated as my collection. I do like some of the newer music, as Muse and the Decemberists are in constant rotation as well. I like Radiohead and REM (80s) from the lost 90s, and Elvis Costello from the 70s 80s. Nothing beats Genesis, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, with a little Nick Drake thrown in just to keep it real.

JC

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So, I was an audiophile way back when.... now I have all of my CDs and downloads on my MacBook Pro, and I literally have thousands of CD albums on it. So, my Iphone has about 1/4 of my albums on it, and if I want to listen to music nothing is better than my IPhone. I do listen to XM because it is simpler. However I love progressive rock and the more intelligent classic rock, so there is literally no Pandora or Apple or etc... version that is as concentrated as my collection. I do like some of the newer music, as Muse and the Decemberists are in constant rotation as well. I like Radiohead and REM (80s) from the lost 90s, and Elvis Costello from the 70s 80s. Nothing beats Genesis, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, with a little Nick Drake thrown in just to keep it real.

JC
Early Genesis or the Phil Collins version?

Sponsored

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Genesis or the Phil Collins version?
Both, but Peter was the best. My first experience was with an older cousin I was about 12 or 13 driving across Kansas going snow skiing in his Monte Carlo listening to an 8 track. Our four favorite 8 tracks for that 13 hour drive was Genesis to Revelation, Yes (can’t remember if it was Fragile or Close to the Edge), a Who album (most likely Who’s Next) and then try to find a decent radio station in the middle of nowhere. We played our favorites over and over, I became a fan. He was a lot older and when I was about 16 I told him about The Lamb lies down on Broadway as he had stopped with their first. I tried to explain the story and why it was my all-time favorite at the time, and he looked at me like I was quite mad. They had gone a long way between those two albums. ;-)

I like most of the post Peter stuff, and while I liked it at the time, I can’t stand the We can’t dance album in its entirety, individual songs are fine. Then Calling all Stations was like a death sentence.

I currently, am listening to the Strawbs for my nostalgia tour.

JC

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Honestly can't believe only one other person here has recommended Spotify. You can listen to any song you want, on demand, create playlists, and find thousands of podcasts to suit your interest. All of that right on your phone, which is able to be controlled from Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

I ditched Sirius XM after the free trial and haven't listened to local radio in years (can't deal with the corny ads and annoying hosts).

bolingde

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor
I have Amazon Unlimited and can listen to about any CD I want to for about 5-6 dollars per month (actually I have the 6 user version for about $11 so my wife/kids can listen too). It allow downloads so you can listen even when you don't have cell coverage. Personally (and I know everyone is different) I don't miss having to store/change and maintain a CD player. Plus over the years I have ripped most of my CD's but I never use them anymore.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
I use Android Auto with my google play music subscription (about $7/month) and I honestly don't ever want to go back. Two hands on the wheel I can simply ask for whatever song/album/artist I want to listen to and I get it. Doesn't get much easier than that!

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
only one other person here has recommended Spotify.
Yeah, that was me. Plenty of folks are content to only listen to the stuff they know and love. I like Pandora especially because it introduces me to music I love that I wouldn't otherwise hear. There is SO much great music that will never see radio play. I like Spotify and Pandora both for different reasons. It's kinda funny because I was so reluctant to go streaming. Really, the horrible (IMO) product that is satellite radio forced me to it. I had several satellite radios in cars/work trucks/boat but came to despise the endless promotions and dj babble. I just wanted to hear music.

I have no clue what to do with my CDs . . .

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Problem is that cell coverage with the uconnect system is spotty - they rely on carriers that don't cover squat where I live.
I can't use my phone for streaming because of limited bandwidth. The only carriers that offer "unlimited" data do not cover much of Iowa. There's one carrier that covers our area - and it's not "unlimited" data.
(read the fine print of those cell carriers that claim unlimited - it may seem unlimited but there is almost always a limit - just that you may not hit it because it's pretty high. )
Wish there was music service that offered pay as you go instead of pay every month and use it every so often. It makes no sense for me to pay a fee every month and maybe not use it at all for 3 weeks and use it 30 minutes the 4th week.
Pay for what I use I might look at.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've got all the pieces together. I'm going to try it out Wednesday after work.
The external USB drives sold for computer use don't work. I tried the new one I bought for $20, and an older model I've had for years. The 8.4" Uconnect didn't recognize either one.

I did order one of the $265 units off of Amazon, and it seems to work well. The first CD I tried had file read errors and didn't work, but the other four I tried all worked with no issues.

bolingde

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor
Problem is that cell coverage with the uconnect system is spotty - they rely on carriers that don't cover squat where I live.
I can't use my phone for streaming because of limited bandwidth. The only carriers that offer "unlimited" data do not cover much of Iowa. There's one carrier that covers our area - and it's not "unlimited" data.
(read the fine print of those cell carriers that claim unlimited - it may seem unlimited but there is almost always a limit - just that you may not hit it because it's pretty high.
It's takes a little time but ripping your cd's to your phone is really worth it. Cd's are just going away in cars and PC's. I would think there is a player that would RIP automatically. That would be cheaper than adding on a drive. I pay the monthly fee because I use it in the car and out, but I can understand why you don't want to.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's takes a little time but ripping your cd's to your phone is really worth it. Cd's are just going away in cars and PC's. I would think there is a player that would RIP automatically. That would be cheaper than adding on a drive. I pay the monthly fee because I use it in the car and out, but I can understand why you don't want to.
And it may not sound like it but I also understand why some do.......... NORMALLY, I'm just not in a vehicle enough and rarely listen to any radio at home. I'm usually busy in my shop pretty much all day every day and even stopped listening out there because I have to pay attention to sounds and other things in my work. (and my hearing sucks anyway LOL)

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm old - I bet some here never heard of my favorites. My listening tastes are also weird - no station I am aware of plays to my tastes. Satellite? Ugh, maybe once in a while, only two or three of them........
but name me a station that plays - Moody Blues, Klaatu, Procol Harum, or Queen...... (odd mix, eh?)
I have every song from the Moodies as a group on CD and some in dupe and quite a few on vinyl, as well as Blue Jays.
Name me just one Klaatu song - heck, other than the ONE that put them on the map, name me a Procol Harum song, kids (NO FAIR CHEATING WITH GOOGLE! LOL )
Any stations play the songs Prelude? Madman? Or Blue World? Melancholy Man? Simple Game?
Looks like I stick to my ripped music although I think I have an old USB CD player laying around somewhere from a notebook past........ like Mr._Bill said - nice to play certain disks when the mood hits.
Are we related? Or just have similar tastes. I never bought any Klaatu, but a buddy of mine did and we used to listen to them mostly because they might have been the Beatles. I, also, own I think all of the Moody Blues single projects most digital, some on albums. IE Justin, John, Graeme, Ray, and Mike’s solo albums including a kid album by Mike. We went to see Justin a couple of years ago when he was touring solo, nobody knew who he was, and there were only about 200 in a theater that seats 800. Great show. It was a lot of fun listening to him tell stories. He had a kid with him who played a crazy guitar. Good show.

JC
Sponsored