Jeepjams

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrangler
Hi,
There may already be a thread out the if so I apologize.

It’s also my first time purchasing a car from a dealer. This said generally speaking would I be likely to get a better deal ordering a gladiator or purchasing one of a lot?

Thank y’all for the help/advice.
Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Hi,

It’s also my first time purchasing a car from a dealer. This said generally speaking would I be likely to get a better deal ordering a gladiator or purchasing one of a lot?

You will always get the best deal ordering.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
As Rex said, ordering will get you the best deal.

That said, it’s not impossible to get a great deal off the lot. Using my JLU as an example. I got an offer from Dennis Dillon to order one at 5% off. I took that order to a dealer in Colorado Springs. They couldn’t match it with one on the lot but they could give me 3% off. For me, the difference (about $800) made enough sense that I bought it off the lot.

Keep an eye on your dealers inventory. Look at Gladiators that have been stuck on the lot for a while. My local Jeep dealer has a Launch Edition that has been on the lot since late August. Their website shows it as being over $62K like everyone else but they’ve called me multiple times to offer me ‘below invoice’ pricing. But I want Hydro Blue and a Diesel so I’m still holding out.

BTW, what part of Louisiana you from? GEAUX TIGERS!

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Off the lot you also get to test drive it and feel it before you buy it, and check for some of the issues like loose steering. You can also do this if you order, but you will be less likely to walk away from it at that point...

Rav34653

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I ordered a $46,770 Overland and after not seeing delivery after 2. 1/2 months and no sign of arriving anytime soon, I Bought a $49,505 Overland off the lot and for the same OUT THE DOOR price as the one I had on order, (I got a much better deal)and I was so glad I ended up with options I didn't know I needed or wanted ,So the answer is it all depends, I do suggest that you make sure you get the options you want, so check out all the options and get to know them on ones at a local dealer to see what you cant live without , Then try making (Order or one off the Lot) Any deal 3% or more under invoice(plus tax and other charges) is a good deal

Last edited:

Sponsored

ilikeb00st

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MDX
Depends, I tried to buy off the lot but my challenge was finding the build spec i want 100%. If you are willing to compromise on spec and want the to have one now, off the lot might be better option. If you are willing to wait, order may be a good option. Either way, pricing should be pretty good for both option this time around towards.

OP
OP

Jeepjams

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrangler
Thank y’all for the feed back.
I can see some real positives with being able to have a solid test drive and thoroughly inspect the vehicle.
I’m out off Baton Rouge
Geaux tigers
I can’t wait to drive off the lot with a vehicle that would make me turn around and admire it on the way in to the house.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
There's a dealer in Hammond showing pretty significant discounts on in stock units but I don't know if they're bait n switch or not. I'll have to go back through my emails to determine which but one dealer in Baton Rouge did offer 4% below invoice on a custom order provided I was going to order an Overland or Rubicon.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
As a point of reference...

I recently test drove a Gladiator at my local Jeep dealer. They were surprisingly pleasant and helpful. The rep actually knew a lot about the truck. I liked the Gladiator I drove, but they offered me $3,000 below MSRP which is more than I wanted to pay. They called me a week later. I was honest and told them I would rather order a truck from the Jeep dealer near Boise and get 6% below invoice. They called me back and said they could do 4% below invoice if I ordered and got a Tread Lightly code. That seemed reasonable to me and saves me a trip to Idaho. So, I'm scraping up as much as can for a down payment and will soon order my Gladiator. :)

Based on my experience and the typical experience of others, I think you're more likely to get a better deal by ordering a Gladiator rather than buying from current stock. I would suggest being honest with a dealer and asking what they can do for you in either case. If they're pugnacious about it, go to another dealer. Last I checked, we don't live in North Korea.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I went back and forth on this myself, having done it with my JK, but I ended up running across a Launch Edition so cheap ($10k off sticker) I couldn’t pass it up. I ended up getting more Jeep than I was going to by ordering and got to drive it first. Only thing I was missing was a soft top, but just lucked into one at half price, so now I’m set.

Sponsored

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
I went back and forth on this myself, having done it with my JK, but I ended up running across a Launch Edition so cheap ($10k off sticker) I couldn’t pass it up. I ended up getting more Jeep than I was going to by ordering and got to drive it first. Only thing I was missing was a soft top, but just lucked into one at half price, so now I’m set.
10K off an LE and a soft top for half price. I need to hang around with you so maybe some of that will rub off on me. Gratz!

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
10K off an LE and a soft top for half price. I need to hang around with you so maybe some of that will rub off on me. Gratz!
Thanks! Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ve used up my luck quotient for the week, lol. The soft top was complete dumb luck, I texted my buddy while I was signing paperwork and he had seen it on FB Marketplace. Dual top kit still in sealed box for $995.

htremper

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (with toddler booster seat!)
Occupation
Rockstar
Hi,

For Ordering

Pros:
1) Get exactly what you want which also means you are not paying for things you dont
2) You know exactly what the cost is
3) Christmas comes in about 12 weeks after...you get to follow the build process (sort of) which is pretty cool

Cons:
1) It takes 12 weeks...or more

Not sure about the price differences at this point but like everyone else here says...you should be paying under invoice even if you have to travel its worth it. Most I have seen are 5% plus if you sign up for the Trails club you get another 1% which is about $500 more in savings

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Off the lot: Dealer is often paying for a vehicle to be on the lot ("floor plan" or whatever they call it), so dealer has incentive to get rid of it (especially at end of month). The longer it sits, the more the dealer pays. You also get to see and feel the exact vehicle you might buy. It's like any retail operation: If an item remains unsold, it's the first one to be moved to the sale rack. Unsold inventory is the first to be discounted.

Special order: You get exactly what you want, but have to wait, and don't get to try before you buy. I'd guess there's not as much incentive to discount, vs an on the lot rig, but that said, it still counts as another vehicle sold.

If I had to guess, the most important factor is how many vehicles are sold, regardless of on or off the lot. No dealer is going to sell you a vehicle if they're losing money on it. If you want to do a special order, ordering at the last day of the month may work in your favor.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Off the lot: Dealer is often paying for a vehicle to be on the lot ("floor plan" or whatever they call it), so dealer has incentive to get rid of it (especially at end of month). The longer it sits, the more the dealer pays. You also get to see and feel the exact vehicle you might buy. It's like any retail operation: If an item remains unsold, it's the first one to be moved to the sale rack. Unsold inventory is the first to be discounted.

Special order: You get exactly what you want, but have to wait, and don't get to try before you buy. I'd guess there's not as much incentive to discount, vs an on the lot rig, but that said, it still counts as another vehicle sold.

If I had to guess, the most important factor is how many vehicles are sold, regardless of on or off the lot. No dealer is going to sell you a vehicle if they're losing money on it. If you want to do a special order, ordering at the last day of the month may work in your favor.
A vehicle on the lot has cost the dealer money for interest and maintenance like charging the battery and keeping it clean. The dealer must recoup that investment and is therefore less likely to give a buyer a significant discount. Furthermore, dealers are allotted only so many of each vehicle. If the dealer is getting a set number of Gladiators for the year, they want to make as much money as possible from those allotted Gladiators.

However, if a customer orders a vehicle, the dealer doesn't have invest anything for interest or maintenance and it doesn't count against their allotted number of said vehicle. Therefore, the dealer is much more likely to give a buyer a significant discount on an ordered vehicle. At least, that's the way it is with an FCA dealer. I've heard most other dealers don't want to order anything for customers and will do so only reluctantly.
Sponsored