First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist
Their suspension kit is definitely my new front runner, depending on how it is priced. At first I hated the AEV front bumper, and then I loved it, but with it blocking the trail cam, I think I'll pass.
There is supposedly a remedy in the works.
Sponsored

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
Agreed, I've never considered the AEV lifts to be for your hardcore rock guy. They still use the stock bushings and setup which aren't going to give you nearly the flex a lot of the higher end aftermarket lifts will. The AEV lift design is to get you the lift you need for some larger tires while generally improving on the on-road ride you got from the factory. Which for most installing lifts, the on-road time in the Jeep is 99.5% of the miles.

I, like you, prefer a lower COG if possible. AEV subscribes to this also hence their original TJ highline kit. Now we have a JT Rubicon using higher fenders that fits 35s with NO lift and 37s with 2". I'd say that's keeping a pretty low COG.

The fact that you said you haven't installed a lift on your last few Jeeps says a lot. Meaning...you really don't need to anymore for your average occasional off-roader. Throw 35s on a Rubicon JL/JT and you've got a Jeep that most were trying to built 20 years ago just to get that!! 35s were considered huge back then. If you really aren't trying to do gnarly trails...you're done. Did a quick search and found this..which made me laugh - What do you need to do to put 35s on a TJ

Now however...you can literally just put them on your stock wheels on a Rubicon.
Yeah, with nothing more than some MCE Flares and decent wheels my last JKU could flex on 35’s. We live in privileged times...

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I actually like AEV's snorkel with the pre-filter. I'm just wondering when they will start selling it. They showed it off for the JL a year ago and as far as I can tell you still can't buy it.
Yeah I can see that not being fugly, but it is def not as sweet looking as the Rugged Ridge one. This looks a bit bloated and not sleek... I am still deciding on the snorkel for my LE and AEV, ARB Safari and Mopar are all similar - for me Rugged Ridge is the sleekest design so far...

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Could you elaborate on why it’s your front runner? I’ve been heavily researching lifts and was very happy with my previous AEV lifted JK, but I can’t find anything about what they’re going to offer for the JT. I know I want a bushing-based system over heim joints given my expected on/off-road balance, appetite for suspension noise and maintenance.
Their kit is my front runner for several reasons. Bilstein makes some of the best, longest lasting suspension on the market, they have proven reliability and history for many more years than the competition. The AEV guys are going a special extra rust resistant coating which will add to that reliability. The 8100 series shocks perform amazing on Tacomas.... these will probably out perform any 2.5" kit on the market (because they're a little bigger at just over 2.6"). But mostly, because AEV dials their stuff in to a super high level, their spring rates and custom valving are going to be great. They're also designed for hauling and running heavily loaded, which I plan to be. And adjustability is key to be able to daily it, and get it into expedition mode.

I guess I'm just a believer! I just really like their engineering and everything the company designs. Stoked to see the price point, I bet its going to be high, but a great value.

Sponsored

Deleted member 23202

Like it!
AEV seems to make great looking accessories. They make bumpers that are smooth, with rounded edges, and looks good with the vehicles lines. (Unlike others that make flat steel, bend, tack or bolt together, and look idiotic. Like everyone else’s cheap bumpers, racks, light bars...)
Sponsored