Sponsored

Why do you like or dislike Auto start stop (ESS)?

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Like it or not, the new Wrangler JL and JT Gladiator are computer controlled ignition and fuel injection control systems, no battery for the computer, no start, even push starting. A low battery that still has enoyjuice for the primary systems (computer) than push starting may work.

The starter button is just telling the computer that the you to start the car and it is up to the computer to recognize the button press and start the vehicle. If you have enough battery power to get the ignition on, press the start button twice with foot off the brake, and the instrument panel lights up, you might get it to push start.

I think a better backup option would be to get one of the small jumper start batteries to start up a low/dead battery. If battery is too low to turn on ignition, them the jumper battery needs to charge up the vehicle battery enough to get the primary systems back on line.
Cheers
Sponsored

Last edited:

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Like it or not, the new Wrangler JL and JT Gladiator are computer controlled ignition and fuel injection control systems, no battery for the computer, no start, even push starting. A low battery that still has enoyjuice for the primary systems (computer) than push starting may work.

The starter button is just telling the computer that the you to start the car and it is up to the computer to recognize the button press and start the vehicle. If you have enough battery power to get the ignition on, press the start button twice with foot off the brake, and the instrument panel lights up, you might get it to push start.

I think a better backup option would be to get one of the small jumper start batteries to start up a low/dead battery. If battery is too low to turn on ignition, them the jumper battery needs to charge up the vehicle battery enough to get the primary systems back on line.
Cheers
That is what I was thinking as well and i got to tell you it does not put my mind at ease. Any electrical issue and you are stuck for good.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Anyway, wish there was an option to buy it without all that nonsense at a much better price point.
Agreed. Did this. Might have to have both...

IMG_20191019_150148527_2.jpg

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Holy hell... I had no clue this would be so controversial. Next topic, 2nd amendment or abortion? Who wants to start the thread?

There are other forums for some of the responses found in this thread....

It's a Jeep...it has ESS if YOU paid for it.

Bobh62000

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Pastor
Holy hell... I had no clue this would be so controversial. Next topic, 2nd amendment or abortion? Who wants to start the thread?

There are other forums for some of the responses found in this thread....

It's a Jeep...it has ESS if YOU paid for it.
That is true I did but when it comes to the ESS system it is time to abort it.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
That is true I did but when it comes to the ESS system it is time to abort it.
True, FCA's implementation of it is pure garbage. Whats sad is it could be good if programmed right. I have had a prius for the last 6 years those things aggressively turn off the engine, granted I have the hybrid battery, but very similar concept.

What I find my JT's ESS doing is only turning off at the wrong times. I slow down to make a left turn, bam engine off. Yet I have my JT running in park for several minutes, no headlights on, no HVAC, yet it decides the engine must run for some unknown reason. With proper software tuning this could be pretty good. Like prioritize it when the vehicle is in park, something the prius does instantly, and add a delay so it doesn't turn off when I am pulling out of my driveway.

A software update could fix this and make it a truly great feature. I thought all the complaints were bogus (lots of people complain when they drive my prius). It turns out though these complaints are mosty true, FCA has some garbage software on this thing.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you need to get your ESS system checked. Mine only turns off when in D on the auto trans, and after you have gone at least 5 mph, and stop in a D mode (M mode on the Auto Trans does not activate the Auto Stop), which a firm press of the brake pedal. Let off the brake pedal,just a little and it restarts. I think it is very controllable, never had it stop the engine in reverse or backing out, or at any time in the drive way. It does not engage during engine warm up, or if the cab is colder than the set climate control temp.
Cheers

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I think you need to get your ESS system checked. Mine only turns off when in D on the auto trans, and after you have gone at least 5 mph, and stop in a D mode (M mode on the Auto Trans does not activate the Auto Stop), which a firm press of the brake pedal. Let off the brake pedal,just a little and it restarts. I think it is very controllable, never had it stop the engine in reverse or backing out, or at any time in the drive way. It does not engage during engine warm up, or if the cab is colder than the set climate control temp.
Cheers
I back in and have a sizable driveway, lol for sure going over 5 mph when I am driving out. I do wonder what it considers a warmed up engine, I usually don't run any climate stuff until the car has been driving for a few minutes due to owning to many cars in the past that liked to spew hot/cold air during warm up.

What I really want to know is why doesn't it seem to turn off in park? that mode seems like a given to turn off, especially if climate control is off..

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps, because Park is a pre shutdown mode, and not normally used while sitting at idle. Sop lights and stop and go traffic is more of a short term temporary stop, where Park is long term, and you normally just shut the engine off. In some states, California being one, it is illegal to leave a vehicle parked and engine running.
Cheers

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I can't believe this conversation. I revert to my original proposition to give all the engineers one day a month to focus on a workable solution at climate control, of the Earth's climate. This way we can live like we want, address climate, grow the economy. Wtf are engineers doing getting 1% more efficiency out of vehicles when that addresses nothing globally, supposedly the problem being addressed by nonsensical ESS. This tech will be outdated, orphaned, and non-functional prior to the end of vehicle life anyway, making the purchase of the next whole vehicle the only solution, a surely inefficient outcome. End rant. Hey here's a comment dog for ya...

735ab6874420d6c5a9f94ffe54f5e777.jpg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine works flawlessly. I have learned to use it so that it NEVER shuts off it I don't want it to, and I watch the traffic patterns and lights so closely that the engine is running again before the car ahead of me moves, or the light turns green, etc.
If I drive decent and don't to AGGRESSIVE braking, like most folks do, it won't shut off unless I give the brake a bit more pressure. I can stop my truck without triggering it when I want to - it's planning ahead. But then I suffer from what some would call "sensory overload" at all times - so I can predict what's going to happen, what the other drivers will do, because I have seen all going on. Anyway, with all of the info in mind, I plan my stops and since I got the truck, and put about 1100 miles on it, a lot of in-town shopping, errands, driving around, it's probably only stopped on my a couple of times that I hadn't really wanted it to.
Go to the twin cities - there's an ordinance there there, or so I read in the news - that you can be ticketed for sitting at a light with your engine running for more than so much time.
To me, they are addressing things - but it can't be done over-night, so small steps, many steps, add up to a larger impact. The hole in the ozone is smaller, and now they are saying that due to our reforestation there's no longer a problem with the atmosphere due to all the trees being cut down. A recent study showed our efforts have paid off and now even that is reversed.
I like the fact it shuts off - around here the lights can last a very long time - and you sit, and sit, and sit..........
Mine works absolutely perfectly. Does exactly as it should, and I've learned to control it very well. Shuts down when I want it to, stays running when I want it to stay running, all in pedal control. It has NEVER EVER stopped in a turn, parking, etc. If that thing is rolling even a tiny bit, any movement, it keeps running.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My experience also.
Cheers

Rubicon Bob

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Rubi, 17 Grand Cherokee, 2020 GCM LE Gladiator
Mine works flawlessly. I have learned to use it so that it NEVER shuts off it I don't want it to, and I watch the traffic patterns and lights so closely that the engine is running again before the car ahead of me moves, or the light turns green, etc.
If I drive decent and don't to AGGRESSIVE braking, like most folks do, it won't shut off unless I give the brake a bit more pressure. I can stop my truck without triggering it when I want to - it's planning ahead. But then I suffer from what some would call "sensory overload" at all times - so I can predict what's going to happen, what the other drivers will do, because I have seen all going on. Anyway, with all of the info in mind, I plan my stops and since I got the truck, and put about 1100 miles on it, a lot of in-town shopping, errands, driving around, it's probably only stopped on my a couple of times that I hadn't really wanted it to.
Go to the twin cities - there's an ordinance there there, or so I read in the news - that you can be ticketed for sitting at a light with your engine running for more than so much time.
To me, they are addressing things - but it can't be done over-night, so small steps, many steps, add up to a larger impact. The hole in the ozone is smaller, and now they are saying that due to our reforestation there's no longer a problem with the atmosphere due to all the trees being cut down. A recent study showed our efforts have paid off and now even that is reversed.
I like the fact it shuts off - around here the lights can last a very long time - and you sit, and sit, and sit..........
Mine works absolutely perfectly. Does exactly as it should, and I've learned to control it very well. Shuts down when I want it to, stays running when I want it to stay running, all in pedal control. It has NEVER EVER stopped in a turn, parking, etc. If that thing is rolling even a tiny bit, any movement, it keeps running.
I have the ESS on my Grand Cherokee. At first, I did not like it. With having the Gladiator, it has become more of a game, not letting it turn off automatically. I have gotten use to it now. The Grand seems to be more picky about when it turns off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have the ESS on my Grand Cherokee. At first, I did not like it. With having the Gladiator, it has become more of a game, not letting it turn off automatically. I have gotten use to it now. The Grand seems to be more picky about when it turns off.
I was introduced to it with my wife's Grand Cherokee and about the same time my son bought a Compass........... I think the Grand Cherokee is also more difficult to control - the JT is a breeze to control, IMO.

Anyway with their vehicles, and I drove my son's now and then while he was back in Korea with his wife and son for a while, I knew how it worked and found by changing a couple of braking habits (which my wife loves the fact I changed how fast i hit the stop signs now with this thing LOL - credit FCA for making my wife happier when I drive) anyway, again, no troubles. I like it.
It's like anything else - soon no one will even be talking about it. The newness will pass, all vehicles will have it, a non-story.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Mine works flawlessly. I have learned to use it
contradiction much? (tongue in cheek)

you guys expect everyone's 100% concentration at every stoppage to be on how to control this thing? yo-k.
Sponsored