Sponsored

Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete)

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
In my previously posted thread I explained how I removed the rear seats (rear seat delete):
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/rear-seats-removal.22980/

In this thread I'll show you how I built a Rear Seat Platform that provides access to the storage containers on the floor as well as the bolts used to secure the platform to the Gladiator's floor (same bolts used to secure the Rear Seats to the floor).

Here's what the Rear Seat Platform looks like now (nearly done except for trimming of the mat on the Platform):
Jeep Gladiator Rear Seat Platform (After Rear Seat Removal - Rear Seat Delete) IMG_7963 3.JPG

Lots of flat storage space!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what the rear seat area looks like with the seats removed:

2019-10-12 IMG_2396.JPG

I used Simpson Strong-tie Angles I sourced from Home Depot - they were ideal for this as they had large diameter hole in them perfect for the rear seat floor bolts. And they have holes in them that work for screwing the 2x4's to them (I did open the small holes up to use screws with larger diameter than the holes in the Angles).

$3.82 each at Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...-in-x-2-1-2-in-Galvanized-Angle-A24/100375162

simpson-strong-tie-corner-braces-a24-64_1000.jpg

Note that the Gladiator bolts have nuts on them used as temporary spacers/washers so I didn't have to torque them down each time while fitting wood to the brackets.

2019-10-18 IMG_2399.JPG

2019-10-18 IMG_2400.JPG

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To start with I built a frame using 2x4's which was attached to the Angles using pan head screws (temporary wood screws used in the beginning as I figured out how I'd build/install this early on.

Attached to this frame is a secondary frame made using 1x4's - you can see the mid-member which had to be a 1x4 to allow the lids on the floor mounted containers to open...

2019-10-27 IMG_2459.JPG

2019-10-27 IMG_2456.JPG

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a pic of my sketch showing the concept...

2019-11-05 IMG_1454.JPG

Another pic showing the wood frame structure...

2019-10-27 IMG_2461.JPG

I thought about using black spray paint but only momentarily. I went with an Ebony wood stain which worked much better than paint would have.

In the pic below you can see the square pine I sanded and was fitting to be the legs (3 legs attached) to support the front of the platform...

2019-11-03 IMG_7164.JPG

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the frame with 3 legs...

2019-11-05 IMG_3032.JPG

2019-11-05 IMG_3741.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a table saw so I started with ½ sheets (48" x 48") of ¾" plywood from Home Depot and I had them make the cuts on their panel saw. Due to not having a table saw and having them make the cuts, this was never going to be a "fine furniture" build but I'm OK with that as it's all going to be covered by hinged panels and then the mat.

As you'll see I used 2 sets of hinges on each of the 2 hinged panels as I needed to again gain access to the rear-most floor bolts and the floor-mounted jack as well as the bolt storage...

2019-11-05 IMG_7248.JPG

I don't have any pics of the panels folded all the way back. In the below pic you can see the driver's side front panel open and you can see the passenger side panels down flat. Note the 2 sets of hinges so the front panel can open and both panels can open giving me full access to the area under the platform...

2019-11-05 IMG_7747.JPG

Thanks to maximizing my use of the plywood you'll notice the grain directions don't match (again, not an issue since it won't be seen)...

2019-11-05 IMG_9972.JPG

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I found a near perfect-sized matt - durable rubber with some carpet-like material on top (it could be reversed but I like it as it is) at Lowe's (Home Depot had far fewer options).

I haven't trimmed it yet but it works well as-is and I can still easily access the lift-up hinged panels giving me access to the area below the platform.

Here are some pics of the finished installation...

IMG_7963.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Nice job!

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
Thanks for the information! We're going to be doing something similar. Still trying to figure out exactly what we're going to need back there but really like what you have done!

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
THANKS!

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I don't need the back seats and I do need all the space we can get when we're camping/overlanding/offroading. Primary need is a flat floor for the Whynter fridge/freezer. I do need to add some hardware for tying the unit down so it can't move.

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Brilliant stuff Dan! Might do something like this for my pup. Thanks for posting.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
THANKS!

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I don't need the back seats and I do need all the space we can get when we're camping/overlanding/offroading. Primary need is a flat floor for the Whynter fridge/freezer. I do need to add some hardware for tying the unit down so it can't move.
Sexy DAN ! You do a sexy job ! ;). But this is different from what I'm wanting, NICE work for a do it yourself project ! I do not have the tools or space and frankly the "drive" to start & finish such a project . . . but I do have the technical design/drafting skills to hand off to a Fabricator of some kind . Not sure yet . . . but I'm leaning toward Maximizing the space and Minimizing the Framework ! Ideally, a Form-fitting floor of Fiberglass-composite; a "box" with a LID covered in Marine Grade Birch Plywood would be "perfect" ! Regardless, it will have Marine style hatch covers to access, probably, 2 separate compartments . It will be fully secured and hopefully I can find hatch covers that are lockable ! I'll include a small LIP around the covering, perhaps as much as an inch with securing rings (or other type?) around the perimeter for use of a cargo net .
Option #2 - and I bet you didn't see this coming (Steffen, ha) just a simple (?) LOW Platform upon which a large sized 'DU-HA' storage box is mounted ? I like the DU-HA, but there are others I could look at .

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sexy DAN ! You do a sexy job ! ;). But this is different from what I'm wanting, NICE work for a do it yourself project ! I do not have the tools or space and frankly the "drive" to start & finish such a project . . . but I do have the technical design/drafting skills to hand off to a Fabricator of some kind . Not sure yet . . . but I'm leaning toward Maximizing the space and Minimizing the Framework ! Ideally, a Form-fitting floor of Fiberglass-composite; a "box" with a LID covered in Marine Grade Birch Plywood would be "perfect" ! Regardless, it will have Marine style hatch covers to access, probably, 2 separate compartments . It will be fully secured and hopefully I can find hatch covers that are lockable ! I'll include a small LIP around the covering, perhaps as much as an inch with securing rings (or other type?) around the perimeter for use of a cargo net .
Option #2 - and I bet you didn't see this coming (Steffen, ha) just a simple (?) LOW Platform upon which a large sized 'DU-HA' storage box is mounted ? I like the DU-HA, but there are others I could look at .
thanks Lou. Keep dreaming big and let us know what you end up with
Sponsored