Steering Issue with your JT- some info for you

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / GCM - 2016 KIA Optima
Been following this post and another one, didn’t wanna say much until I had a chance to really get a feel as to what mine was doing. I had a 9 hour drive home with mine after purchase (bone stock JTR) and I honestly wasn’t sure I was gonna make it, it was windy and the trucks were blowing me all over the road but as night came the wind and trucks died down and it was almost a dream to drive, still the occasional wander but wasn’t bad, hey it’s a box right? Next morning I aired the tires down from 40 something to 36 or 38 and it was much better but still wandered. Soon after I installed new wheels and 35” Ridge Grapplers, played with air pressure and got a little better. What I honestly felt was in ideal weather conditions it handled just fine, tracked straight as an arrow no wander, get it in windyconditions or semi trucks and it was very frustrating. After reading on this post and the other post and various FB ones I decided to have the alignment checked. See attachment below of the before and after, I also had them check the torquesettings, some were correct and a few took a half turn to torque. So the ride home from the alignment shop was ideal, steering took less input and was notably tighter and it didn’t wander, any steering input was instant. Did several miles highway around semi trucks and it was a completely different experience. I am100% satisfied with what was done that I could just leave it alone and drive it how it is however I am curious as to what airpressure will do so I will experiment with that, I also wanna see what a steering stabilizer will effect so I may try one as well but in no way do I feel I need one. I also wanna add that I used the alignment specs given on here and requested the total 20° toe, didn’t want to just get it close. Hope this helps.

FE5D1926-B0D6-48CC-ACAC-82AB64EDA6A6.jpeg

0B8D580D-1F21-4980-9CB4-C351792FC600.jpeg
Sponsored

BX_KAY

First Name
KENNY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR/ 2018 JLUR
My steering wheel is not centered. Took it back to the dealer still the same. Taking it back a second time next week let's see what happens

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
My steering wheel is not centered. Took it back to the dealer still the same. Taking it back a second time next week let's see what happens
Same for me. I had them check it as well as the alignment and they swore the steering wheel is straight but it is still clocked to the left. Drives me crazy. Will have them look at it again when I get the sticky steering issue looked at...

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Same for me. I had them check it as well as the alignment and they swore the steering wheel is straight but it is still clocked to the left. Drives me crazy. Will have them look at it again when I get the sticky steering issue looked at...
Any update on this? I have an appointment to take mine in, in two days and would like to have all the information possible to relay to the service people who will most likely tell me there is no problem..

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any update on this? I have an appointment to take mine in, in two days and would like to have all the information possible to relay to the service people who will most likely tell me there is no problem..
No just posted last night. I experienced the sticky steering for the first time yesterday so it is time to schedule a service call myself...

Sponsored

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
No just posted last night. I experienced the sticky steering for the first time yesterday so it is time to schedule a service call myself...
yea Im getting ready to add lift, tires etc, next month so I want it documented as being a problem before any of that. Ive had multiple jeeps in the past so I know how they drive. This feels a tad unsafe.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yea Im getting ready to add lift, tires etc, next month so I want it documented as being a problem before any of that. Ive had multiple jeeps in the past so I know how they drive. This feels a tad unsafe.
This is my first Jeep so I was a bit ignorant but the steering is MUCH more loose than anything I've ever owned. Would like a fix for it as well. For me it is: loose/deadspot steering, steering wheel is crooked (2-3 degrees to left), "sticky" steering wheel when cold (encountered first time yesterday). I also need to get a leather defect in back seat fixed so it is time to bring it in and let them work it a few days but would like a definitive answer on the loose steering and resolution too.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
This is my first Jeep so I was a bit ignorant but the steering is MUCH more loose than anything I've ever owned. Would like a fix for it as well. For me it is: loose/deadspot steering, steering wheel is crooked (2-3 degrees to left), "sticky" steering wheel when cold (encountered first time yesterday). I also need to get a leather defect in back seat fixed so it is time to bring it in and let them work it a few days but would like a definitive answer on the loose steering and resolution too.
I have all the same problems as you but the sticky steering. Where I live its still 70 degrees, but we are getting ready to leave for the winter, and where we stay it snows a ton, so I hope this is not also an issue. Let me know what they tell you if you get it in soon about the cold. My main concern is my wife driving this, if I don't get it rectified before she drives it, and she has this issue, she will never touch it again (may be a good thing)LOL.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I have all the same problems as you but the sticky steering. Where I live its still 70 degrees, but we are getting ready to leave for the winter, and where we stay it snows a ton, so I hope this is not also an issue. Let me know what they tell you if you get it in soon about the cold. My main concern is my wife driving this, if I don't get it rectified before she drives it, and she has this issue, she will never touch it again (may be a good thing)LOL.
Hi Travis and Kenny,
We're sorry to hear about these steering concerns you have been experiencing. Please send our team a PM if you need any assistance during your dealer visit.
Alex
JeepCares

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Hi Travis and Kenny,
We're sorry to hear about these steering concerns you have been experiencing. Please send our team a PM if you need any assistance during your dealer visit.
Alex
JeepCares
Thank you. I just sent over all my info to your department at jeep cares

Sponsored

BX_KAY

First Name
KENNY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,
Well I spent 5 hours at the dealer yesterday (2nd visit) having my Gladiator serviced.
- replaced passenger side window motor, it wouldn't go all the way down.
- steering wheel was not straight, slightly to the left. After all that time they said they fixed the issue. I took it and it still has the problem. Its driving me crazy the steering wheel just a little to the left. I also have a wrangler JL rubicon and the steering wheel is perfectly straight. What do I do?

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Hi all,
Well I spent 5 hours at the dealer yesterday (2nd visit) having my Gladiator serviced.
- replaced passenger side window motor, it wouldn't go all the way down.
- steering wheel was not straight, slightly to the left. After all that time they said they fixed the issue. I took it and it still has the problem. Its driving me crazy the steering wheel just a little to the left. I also have a wrangler JL rubicon and the steering wheel is perfectly straight. What do I do?
I would break out a 15 mm socket and ratchet and spend 5 minutes adjusting the drag link.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Picked up my LE today and test drove it, was very windy drifted to the right but not bad. Tires have been replaced to 315/70/17 which is a 34.4x12.7 (35) from the stock 32.7x11.2 (33). Tire pressures 35-37 cold. Stock Wheels.

Jeep had 30 miles on it, put it on the alignment rack and referred to the supplemental FCA alignment specs. Toe was off a significant amount, toed in. Left side Caster was out of range.

Once we got our readings we made adjustments and as the toe and steer ahead fell in to place so did the Caster.

Please see the FCA Supplemental Alignment Specs, notice the Caster numbers, mine is at the bare minimum range of what FCA wants to see. THESE ARE NOT THE NUMBERS AN ALIGNMENT MACHINE WILL SHOW YOU, THESE NEW NUMBERS ARE TOO NEW TO BE IN THE MACHINE.

For those of you with lifted JT's remember the Jeep goes up the axle rolls back and the caster number goes down. If mine is stock and I am at the bare min then lifted Jeeps will be off the spec chart. Would it effect steering in a negative way? Who knows I have seen these coil spring solid axle Jeeps do some strange stuff. When the stuff is in spec it tends to be ok IN MY EXPERIENCE!!

I have owned many Jeeps and I really like this one, we can fix this issue.

I am most impressed with how Jeep delivers the power from a not so powerful motor with the assistance of the tranny, excellent job.

I am all about Hemi conversions but I have to say this time around Hemi in this truck is for Billionaires only. Truck is fine the way it is.

Read the thread in the link below and WATCH THE VIDEO IN POST 16, we need to get all the info in one place and get these guys and gals that are having problems fixed or get them new vehicles or money back.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/steering-issue.17198/

@JeepCares
#jeepcares

tJPqyv7FQYajVC3kYWVbTg.jpg
My gladiator just came back from the shop today. They stated that they could not find any play in the steering, drift to the right, etc. They refused to re flash the steering control module stating that they could not do so unless chrysler tells them they need to.

BW Montauk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, TRX, GX 550
I have the same issue. Steering wheel must be 2-4 degrees turned to the left to go straight or else it will drift right.

Had the alignment checked and all was within spec for what can be adjusted. Rear toe might be the culprit.

B620C3EE-2AE8-4E38-97F1-77CE424D9B83.jpeg

BX_KAY

First Name
KENNY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took my 18 JLUR to dealer for an oil change. While there they said it had a recall on the steering damper. They took care of it, JL is feeling much better. Had the JL for 16 months. Now let's see how long it will take for the recall on the JT steering issues.
Sponsored