Question about leveling kits

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
I’ve noticed there are multiple 1.5 inch leveling kits available. Basically include a spring cup and shock mount extensions. I’ve noticed the 2 inch and over leveling kits include a lot more parts including longer sway bar mounts. My question is why would the 2 inch require these and the 1.5 not require them? I want to level my overland but I want to make sure and do it right and retain most of the driving characteristics it has now. Maybe there’s a 1.5 inch lift kit available with those parts that I haven’t found. Thanks!
Sponsored

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
I’ve noticed there are multiple 1.5 inch leveling kits available. Basically include a spring cup and shock mount extensions. I’ve noticed the 2 inch and over leveling kits include a lot more parts including longer sway bar mounts. My question is why would the 2 inch require these and the 1.5 not require them? I want to level my overland but I want to make sure and do it right and retain most of the driving characteristics it has now. Maybe there’s a 1.5 inch lift kit available with those parts that I haven’t found. Thanks!
From my understanding anything over 2 inches starts to change the geometry of the lower control arms and therefore should be corrected. Usually anything over 2 inches is going to be more of a "lift kit" and not just a front leveling kit. I have the Teraflex 1.5 but only used the 1 inch disc for my truck.

OP
OP
DHP

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
From my understanding anything over 2 inches starts to change the geometry of the lower control arms and therefore should be corrected. Usually anything over 2 inches is going to be more of a "lift kit" and not just a front leveling kit. I have the Teraflex 1.5 but only used the 1 inch disc for my truck.
did the 1 inch disc come with the teraflex leveling kit?

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I have the teraflex 1.5 kit on my overland. I also am using Falcon shocks and switched out to the higher spring rating of the Rubicon springs. That being said, I used both spacers in the kit for 1.5 inches in the front. I also installed daystar .75 rear spacers so technically It would be like adding .75 inch difference on the front. This works for me because it gives a slight rake on the gladiator. I personally have trouble visually with leveling kits giving that sometimes false look of being nose high. The full 1.5 will level out your Overland. As far as driving it, the front tires are moved some from stock back towards the cab, so the caster does change. The steering response seems a bit touchy. Does it need to be corrected, NO. However I am personally planning on adding the Teraflex Alpine control arms and adjustable track bars, for the added strength over stock, the adjust ability, and for later plans of going with a slightly higher lift that I will also be able to use the controls arms for.

Last edited:

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did the 1 inch disc come with the teraflex leveling kit?
Yes it comes with a 1 and 1/2 inch disc that can be combined for 1.5 inches or used separately. I wanted a little rake and I tow some so I was happy with using just the 1 inch. One note, is my truck is a Rubicon. I am also using Falcon shocks which I really like.

Sponsored

Heinoceros

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I am using the daystar 1.5 inch, and it did level out the truck pretty much perfectly if you measure the distance from the tire to the fender opening. However i also think i might add the .75 to the back of the truck at a later date, i just want a small amount of rake back in the truck.

I noticed no change in the handling of the truck other than you can tell the center of gravity is a smidge higher. A little more roll around turns etc.

Reactions: DHP
OP
OP
DHP

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
Yes it comes with a 1 and 1/2 inch disc that can be combined for 1.5 inches or used separately. I wanted a little rake and I tow some so I was happy with using just the 1 inch. One note, is my truck is a Rubicon. I am also using Falcon shocks which I really like.
I measured this morning and I currently have a 6 3/4 measurement from the tire to the fender on the rear and 5 on the front. I think I’m looking more for an inch leveling than a 1.5 inch as well. Maybe this is better done with a spacer and potentially a longer shock than going with the leveling kit.

Heinoceros

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I measured this morning and I currently have a 6 3/4 measurement from the tire to the fender on the rear and 5 on the front. I think I’m looking more for an inch leveling than a 1.5 inch as well. Maybe this is better done with a spacer and potentially a longer shock than going with the leveling kit.
for just an inch i dont even know that you have to do the shock extension. i mean you might as well, you have to unbolt the shock anyway to get the springs out. I needed a bit more room for the larger tires(35), but if you are going with tires 33 inches or smaller 1 inch will get you a very nice stance.

Reactions: DHP
OP
OP
DHP

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
for just an inch i dont even know that you have to do the shock extension. i mean you might as well, you have to unbolt the shock anyway to get the springs out. I needed a bit more room for the larger tires(35), but if you are going with tires 33 inches or smaller 1 inch will get you a very nice stance.
that’s exactly my plan. Just stick with 33s when I buy new rims and tires since I do a lot of long distance driving and still want to use it to tow a bit at some point. Just feel it looks too nose down to me currently.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Once you stick a trailer on the back, or any good load in the bed, it will level out nicely.
Cheers

Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Once you stick a trailer on the back, or any good load in the bed, it will level out nicely.
Cheers
Yes, in the 60s we paid for shocks to create a Carolina rake. LOL

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, in the 60s we paid for shocks to create a Carolina rake. LOL
Hijackers?

I know a guy who cut 4x4's long enough to wedge between the axle housing and the chassis of his mustang to hold the back up. Dunno what the bottom of the car looked like after the first pavement dip or railroad tracks............

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
What size bumpstop does the kit come with? When adding only the 0.5" or 1" spacer, do you need to add the bumpstop?

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So you could add just the 1" spacer to take a little of the rake out and not mess with alignment, etc. I take it. Stock shocks, etc. with the minimal change..........
Sponsored