17" wheels and 35" tires on Overland?

Rdaharsh1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
I want to change my stock 18" wheels/ 32" tires on my overland to 17" 35's. This is what I believe I need to do to make this happen, let me know if I'm missing anything. To go to 35" tires, I need to upgrade my 3.73 rear end to at least 4.10's. I will also need at least a 2" lift kit, upgraded drive shaft, different fenders, and have my speedo recalibrated. Am i missing anything?
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I want to change my stock 18" wheels/ 32" tires on my overland to 17" 35's. This is what I believe I need to do to make this happen, let me know if I'm missing anything. To go to 35" tires, I need to upgrade my 3.73 rear end to at least 4.10's. I will also need at least a 2" lift kit, upgraded drive shaft, different fenders, and have my speedo recalibrated. Am i missing anything?
Gearing could be fine depends on how heavy the new setup is. No driveshaft or fenders needed. The rest yes

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Gearing could be fine depends on how heavy the new setup is. No driveshaft or fenders needed. The rest yes
I know a number of people have been sticking with the stock 18’s and putting 285/75R18 without any change to gearing/fenders/lift/driveshaft, and simply recalibration for the speedometer and odometer.

As for 17’s, more of that probably depends on the actual tire’s tread width, if you need to do anything with lift/fenders/spacers/etc.

I’m having the dealer put 285/75R18’s on my stock Overland wheels and have them recalibrate the speedometer and odometer—no other changes (I’m not planning on rock crawling).

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
I know a number of people have been sticking with the stock 18’s and putting 285/75R18 without any change to gearing/fenders/lift/driveshaft, and simply recalibration for the speedometer and odometer.

As for 17’s, more of that probably depends on the actual tire’s tread width, if you need to do anything with lift/fenders/spacers/etc.

I’m having the dealer put 285/75R18’s on my stock Overland wheels and have them recalibrate the speedometer and odometer—no other changes (I’m not planning on rock crawling).
Have you heard how much the 285/75 R18s affect gas mileage?

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you heard how much the 285/75 R18s affect gas mileage?
I've been following the discussions in these threads and feel comfortable with the decision.

That said, I’d love to have way more participation in the MPG and Range thread, as more info really helps to explore some of the factors influencing actual MPG.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/mpg-and-range.17839/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...lse-running-285-75-r18-on-stock-wheels.19852/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/bigger-tires-on-the-overland-wheels-or.20001/

HAL4341

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Global Adventurer
Vehicle Showcase

What did you get? I like your suggestion and will follow it. Now looking. I don't want a lot of road noise. Mostly town driving. Thanks.

HAL4341

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Global Adventurer
Vehicle Showcase
285/75's here, no other changes no issues. Not sure about effect on gas mileage, came from a hellcat so I've learned not to pay attention to mileage lol. Rides great took a 4 hour road trip today.

20190924_154506.jpg

what brand of tires? I am looking and don't need real aggressive as mostly town driving.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did you get? I like your suggestion and will follow it. Now looking. I don't want a lot of road noise. Mostly town driving. Thanks.
Well, I’ve only had my truck about 24-hours now, but I drove from North Carolina to Boston on a set of 285/75R18 Falken Wildpeaks on the stock Overland rims.

Even with a new engine, the four stock tires and the soft top loaded in the bed, and driving in windy conditions, I ended the drive with 19MPG. Better than I expected for a new-engine initial trip with a pretty un-aerodynamic load.

I haven’t yet installed my hot heads headliner, but noise wasn’t noticeable (except occasional wind gusts) and I was able to carry on speakerphone conversations easily—I had one caller comment on the lack of background noise while I was on the highway.

F2C114BD-A7B1-4EB0-8A2C-AA5AA34F682B.jpeg

Sponsored

HAL4341

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Global Adventurer
Vehicle Showcase
what brand of tires? I am looking and don't need real aggressive as mostly town driving.
Cooper Discoverer ATS. They are a nice balance between aggressive looking and comfortable on road.
Thanks. I like that they are 60,000 tires though I never expect to get there. The ride isn't too noisy?

HAL4341

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Global Adventurer
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I’ve only had my truck about 24-hours now, but I drove from North Carolina to Boston on a set of 285/75R18 Falken Wildpeaks on the stock Overland rims.

Even with a new engine, the four stock tires and the soft top loaded in the bed, and driving in windy conditions, I ended the drive with 19MPG. Better than I expected for a new-engine initial trip with a pretty un-aerodynamic load.

I haven’t yet installed my hot heads headliner, but noise wasn’t noticeable (except occasional wind gusts) and I was able to carry on speakerphone conversations easily—I had one caller comment on the lack of background noise while I was on the highway.

F2C114BD-A7B1-4EB0-8A2C-AA5AA34F682B.jpeg
Thanks. It looks great! I appreciate your insight!

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Thanks. I like that they are 60,000 tires though I never expect to get there. The ride isn't too noisy?
Not at all, and I drive 100% on road, have never been off roading and probably never will be. It's a good compromise between looks and comfort IMO.

HAL4341

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Global Adventurer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your help.

OP
OP

Rdaharsh1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
I ended up sticking with the overland 18" rims went with 35" x 12.5 Ironman all country tires $220 a piece. Still at 19 mpg my speedo was off by 2 mph showing 42 mph on speed cart 44 mph. The tires only hang out of fender about a inch. I did install a 2.5" ICON stage 1 lift, so no rubbing.

20191111_142913.jpg
Sponsored