First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Well, I went in to the dealer today to possibly order a pretty much fully optioned Rubicon in the Gobi color. Somehow, I drove out in a fully optioned bright white LE. Not sure what happened -- but I like it. Acceleration is fine.

You got sold! There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that so long as you like what you bought
Congrats

I’ve nearly walked in a bought several times but I’m sticking to my guns and waiting to see a gobi in person. I’m in a dusty place like you I owe (years of washing it less) to myself to wait
Sponsored

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I dont think there is anything wrong with trying to get the most performance you can from your platform! I do with all my vehicles, and light weight wheels and tires are one of the most significant changes you can make! I too have been agonizing over tires choices and weights, and sizes. I really want 35s, but I'm leaning towards KO2 or Patagonia for their light weight. It's so silly all the keyboard warriors calling us out for caring about mileage. No I don't want a Prius. I want this damn jeep, and I want it to perform as well as it can!

OP
OP
Tonopah01

Tonopah01

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT auto; 2005 Wrangler TJ Unlimited
Occupation
retired
The JT I bought rolls on Toyo MT 35 inch tires on Black Rhino rims and the 2 inch Mopar lift. I test drove it and thought that the power was just fine (bear in mind, I come from a 2005 LJ auto, and a 2015 JK manual). In my world, the JT scoots pretty good.

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
The JT I bought rolls on Toyo MT 35 inch tires on Black Rhino rims and the 2 inch Mopar lift. I test drove it and thought that the power was just fine (bear in mind, I come from a 2005 LJ auto, and a 2015 JK manual). In my world, the JT scoots pretty good.

That great to hear! Love the look of the black rhino wheels but some of them are very heavy. I'm a wheel weight spec junkie, so I chose Methods new 313 flow formed wheel, just 22lbs. Stoked!!!

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
Well, I went in to the dealer today to possibly order a pretty much fully optioned Rubicon in the Gobi color. Somehow, I drove out in a fully optioned bright white LE. Not sure what happened -- but I like it. Acceleration is fine.
Get a Gobi wrap! ;{

Sponsored

mmollo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, 1985 CJ7, F-250, BMW X5, Ferrari California, Lamborghini Aventador
I’ve had 5 Jeep’s over the years, you don’t buy them to go fast. I currently have a 1985 CJ-7 with a 350 in it. I think my JT is about as fast.

While the Gladiator won’t set any speed records anytime soon it’s a blast.

When I feel the need for speed I have a go to just sitting there waiting on me to push the red button.

096828FE-9AC8-4FD1-A3B5-303BF8A6F27B.jpeg
1071186F-C4CC-4220-A510-A8023A7EC234.jpeg

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I’ve had 5 Jeep’s over the years, you don’t buy them to go fast. I currently have a 1985 CJ-7 with a 350 in it. I think my JT is about as fast.

While the Gladiator won’t set any speed records anytime soon it’s a blast.

When I feel the need for speed I have a go to just sitting there waiting on me to push the red button.

096828FE-9AC8-4FD1-A3B5-303BF8A6F27B.jpeg
1071186F-C4CC-4220-A510-A8023A7EC234.jpeg
Do you want to adopt a 32 year old married man with three children, by any chance? I’m an active duty Marine and can cook and clean.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I have my first oil change scheduled for today (7k miles, oil life is still at 20%). So before oil change. I noticed the exact same behavior on my JLUR, so I think it just takes that long for the Pentastar to fully break in.
I concur on the Pentastar & 8spd. auto - similar improvements with my 2016 WK2. Significant actually now that I'm recalling . . . about 15mpg before then (as stated) the 18 to 19 (in town) depending on winter or summer gas. Oh I always use 89 octane (habit).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I concur on the Pentastar & 8spd. auto - similar improvements with my 2016 WK2. Significant actually now that I'm recalling . . . about 15mpg before then (as stated) the 18 to 19 (in town) depending on winter or summer gas. Oh I always use 89 octane (habit).
You can buy 89 there? It's 87 here - unless you drive around and look then you might find 91 - and if really lucky, some towns have a station that sells 93.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
You can buy 89 there? It's 87 here - unless you drive around and look then you might find 91 - and if really lucky, some towns have a station that sells 93.
You have no 89 mid grade in Iowa? That just adds one more reason . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You have no 89 mid grade in Iowa? That just adds one more reason . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
When I think about it - why would we need it? Either your vehicle is fine on 87, which most are, or you need far better than 89, like my 73 (and my 70 for that matter)
89 would not do me a lick of good -nor would it do any good for anyone I know. 87 is fine for modern stuff - anything else is literally a waste i most mainstream vehicles these days. And if not, you need more than 89.
I can't think of anyone I know who would benefit from 89 so why would we want it?
91 or 93, yeah, I would like to see more of that, but again, unless you have a muscle car or some other reason - I can see why it's not sold.
As a long-time auto tech - I'd like to know why we're missing out not having so-called "mid-grade" - it's a marketing hype IMO - who actually NEEDS it? That tidbit of octane difference won't matter on high performance stuff, not really and if you are into that, build for the higher stuff or for "pump gas" which in the hobby is considered 87.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Maybe mines not broken in (1200 mi) or the transmission has not adapted to me but mine is always lugging the engine. And I'm only averaging 18mpg since new, mixed driving.
So the engine seems fine, if a little noisy at higher revs, but the 8spd is hobbling it to save gas.
The tranny needs a "sport" mode that sacrifices some mpg but keeps revs a little higher in the power band. Our LR4 and X6 have this and it's a god send, changes the feel of the whole truck. Then again they are both V8s, so maybe that's my problem...
They say the JT tranny "automatically" adjusts to towing and what not but so far I don't buy it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Overland is on it's second tank of gas.
About 605 miles over-all since buying it, 205 on this tank of gas.
I'm sitting right now about 20.1 mpg average for that 205 miles. The first tank went 400 miles and a tad more.
Shifts perfectly - absolutely perfectly. No lugging in fact on a really windy day with some hills it drops down a gear pretty readily.
I push it a bit and it drops a gear or two and revs right up. I have zero complaints at all on performance or economy at 600 miles.
My driving with this tank has included many trips to town, shopping, in and out of parking lots, some highway, plenty of hills where I live where it has to kick down a hill to make do and it does it seamlessly.
It's an excellent shifting transmission. I'd compare it to how my Silverado did (5.3 LS with automatic) but this thing beats the Silverado in average economy easily and really kicks butt if I need to scoot into traffic or get around something or into a spot in heavy traffic.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
For folks who have their JT Rubicon already, I am wondering about your thoughts as to overall performance of the Pentastar V6 with the 33 inch tires, 4.10 gearing. Merging onto a highway, overtaking other vehicles on the road, and that out of thing. Sure wish it had a 5.7 semi option, but, is the Pentastar quite adequate to live with? Would the addition of a 2 inch lift and 35 inch tires make a noticeable negative difference?
I have the same set up with my Max Tow and I find it quick and responsive. I've got close to 10,000 on mine, and most was long trips. I admit I'm some what an aggressive driver, and the JT has not disappointed me.
Sponsored