Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There are ways to buy vehicles without loans.
Sold my truck, sold one of my cars - used some money I had saved up from my restoration work - no loan.

Another way is to have a wealthy wife (or wealthy husband) or partner or whatever, be a doctor or attorney, or politician, or have a wealthy relative die and remember U in their will.
But for most folks - 50k and north is a stretch without a loan, unless they lease but then they still have a payment to make.
Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sold my truck, sold one of my cars - used some money I had saved up from my restoration work - no loan.

Another way is to have a wealthy wife (or wealthy husband) or partner or whatever, be a doctor or attorney, or politician, or have a wealthy relative die and remember U in their will.
But for most folks - 50k and north is a stretch without a loan, unless they lease but then they still have a payment to make.
Don't have to buy new.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don't have to buy new.
True - but I've had enough experience with used - and my wife's quilting friend bought a used SUV - didn't want to buy new so bought slightly used - nickel and diming her to death. Lots of little problems.
I suspect that's due to so many people trading things in that they never took care of because I can take a car up to many many thousands without issue - but turn around and buy used? Nope. Not me. You also take what it's got as far as equipment and such.
So far the Jeeps have been cheap to drive and maintain - although insurance and license is crazy..... but trade-in is great.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's all it took for me - just one look........ I think I see the start of another song.......

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
The JT was all I ever wanted from a vehicle.

Jeep looks
Jeep offroad capability
Truck capability
Aftermarket options

You could give me a free F150 Raptor or Tesla X, or any other car, and I would turn it down if it meant I needed to pay MSRP and dealer financing for the Gladiator to be mine

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
I thought I could rationalize keeping the Ram, figured why bother with going through the hassle, just keep the truck.

Today, I'm driving my dad's loaner (Discovery) and I see a Gladiator, and now I've been consumed with thoughts of trading in my truck for MY gladiator (built my way)

Is this normal?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I could rationalize keeping the Ram, figured why bother with going through the hassle, just keep the truck.

Today, I'm driving my dad's loaner (Discovery) and I see a Gladiator, and now I've been consumed with thoughts of trading in my truck for MY gladiator (built my way)

Is this normal?
No, but then I doubt anyone here can claim the title of "normal". some may be more normal than others, some less (even better) but it's not a level I aspire to.
Slap me if I ever achieve it.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
The JT was all I ever wanted from a vehicle.

Jeep looks
Jeep offroad capability
Truck capability
Aftermarket options

You could give me a free F150 Raptor or Tesla X, or any other car, and I would turn it down if it meant I needed to pay MSRP and dealer financing for the Gladiator to be mine
Yes, my feelings exactly — the truck I have always wanted!
Cheers

Sponsored

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
No, but then I doubt anyone here can claim the title of "normal". some may be more normal than others, some less (even better) but it's not a level I aspire to.
Slap me if I ever achieve it.
I don't wanna be normal either, "Normal" people drive Camrys and other boring reliable cars, fuck that

Lucifer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Was looking at the Toyota TRD Pro for 6 months prior to buying anything. I really thought i was gonna get it. Then i started seeing ads for the Gladiator, but the pictures didn't do it justice at all. Then i finally saw an Overland in person, i was hooked. But i wanted to take it for a drive. Went past our local dealer and they had the Rubicon. They said i could test drive it. It really drove smooth, barely any road noise, but what sold me was a particular hairpin turn i had to make. I thought it through in my head, about having to back up. The sales guys said, " Just turn the wheel" . So i did and around it went..Got back to the dealership and told him we'd be back in a few weeks to order one. Still wanted to drive the TRD. Did it two weeks later and glad i did. What a POS. It kept making a racing noise. The sales guy said it has 10 gears and it was trying to find one that was comfortable. It also had lane assist, so when you got to close to the yellow, it would ding and push you back over. Now, as any regular driver knows, if someone comes into your lane you try to get out of the way, but this will push you right back into them, NO Thanks. I was test driving it in the rain. The backup sensors were going off like crazy but there was no one behind me, i asked the guy what gives. He said the rain is probably setting them off, yeah no. It also has adaptive cruise control, so if the guy in front of you stops, it stops the truck. So who is gonna stop the guy behind you, the answer is no one. No Thanks. Now i know the Jeep has some of these amenities, but they work way better, being the back up sensors. The others i just don't turn on. But the engine switching through all those gears every time you stop and go, that would drive me nuts. But my wife and i really love the retro look of the Gladiator. So i ordered one. I kept going to the dealership every week looking at the others just waiting for mine, so i obviously got to know all the sales people. I just happen to be there one night and saw a blacked out one. I took a picture and sent it to my wife. Her reaction was WOW! She said, can we buy that one? I called one of the sales guys i knew, he got back to me and said yes. So i said i'll be in on Wednesday to buy iy. When we go there the one i ordered also came in. But we still bought the LE. It's loaded although, the only thing they didn't order for it was the Bluetooth speaker. Which i could care less about. We absolutely love our Gladiator. All we've added is a 2 inch mopar lift and side steps. Waiting on a winch plate and winch. This the day we bought it and what it looks like now

Buying day.jpg

Lucifer1.jpg

Canuck2020

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT Rubicon
Hi Fellow Jeepers ,

The reason I purchased a Jeep JT was my previous vehicle, a 2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon was lacking some space for my taste .

Don't get me wrong I Loved my Jeep JLU Rubicon but the rear space was far from optimal and after owning it for more then a year , I decided to switch to the JT as it will be more practical for my use and I could definitely use the rear bed to carry stuff on my outings up north .

On the JLU I did enjoy the transmission and 3.6 Pentastar motor as it was enough power and fuel efficient ( I used to own before that a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT with 6,4 lol) . What also weighed in the equation was that I could transfer almost everything on it , which is a big plus as selling would have meant taking a big hit on most of the equipment and my stuff is in mint condition .

IMG_1357.jpg

I should have my new Gladiator Rubicon in the next few days and am extremely excited .

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
Been waiting on it for 10+ years.
Finally here
Saw one and decided to try it just for shits and giggle
Bought it

Never test drive a new car or a puppy

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Been waiting on it for 10+ years.
Finally here
Saw one and decided to try it just for shits and giggle
Bought it

Never test drive a new car or a puppy
Or in our case go for an alignment, or to get some warranty work done....... or twice now I've helped my son pick out cars and we end up buying on the same day. This time I got him into a Jeep - and my wife traded Grand Cherokees the same day. Luckily my son moved to Florida so I can't get involved with his car buying any more.
Saw a JT in a showroom while waiting on my wife's Grand Cherokee to have some warranty work done, that was it.
Sponsored