Sponsored

Loose Steering?

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw this on the F/B page and was wondering if this may be a band-aid or a true fix. Does the box/frame area flex? Is this what's happening? If it's this simple, I would buy and install it, but not sure I am completely in agreement with this situation. I did have a bracket on my CJ steering box because the frame was weak in that area, but surely this couldn't really be a problem in this day and time? Sure, maybe for a lifted vehicle this may be of use, but most of us who have the steering issues were/are bone stock.
What say ye ??????

Synergy Jeep JL/JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace Product Feature Video
I've been eyeing this up also and wondering if it would help. But I'd rather Jeep correct the original issue first.

I do wonder if this would take out the slop on the sector shaft though.

Outside of the steering issue I do think putting the sector shaft in double shear would be beneficial. Some say that it's rotational force that breaks them but I still can't help but think the extra mount would help.
Sponsored

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
That's the video of the installation.
Wondering if anyone has a video of the steering box/frame flexing before the installation of this kit?
That would be my deciding factor as to wether or not I need this piece. Kinda doubt the frame is flexing that much to cause the steering issues, I tend to believe it's more of an alignment or incorrect steering box adjustment or setting.
But what do I know? I'v only had and driven jeeps for the past 45 years, some really bad ones I might add, but this current one I can safely say may be the worst of all of them...

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Kinda doubt the frame is flexing that much to cause the steering issues,
I have looked at mine...and It's not the frame...it's the sector shaft that at least on mine absolutely does deflect when turning the steering wheel but before the tires start turning. I can see how this support could possibly help. I'm tempted to try it to at least narrow down that it is in fact the steering box causing the issue.

TLife

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - Hydro Blue
Occupation
EE
That's the video of the installation.
Wondering if anyone has a video of the steering box/frame flexing before the installation of this kit?
That would be my deciding factor as to wether or not I need this piece. Kinda doubt the frame is flexing that much to cause the steering issues, I tend to believe it's more of an alignment or incorrect steering box adjustment or setting.
But what do I know? I'v only had and driven jeeps for the past 45 years, some really bad ones I might add, but this current one I can safely say may be the worst of all of them...

Sponsored

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TLife
That's crazy, I'm going to check my JT as soon as I can. That's total frame flex !!!! I'm wondering if it needs a cross brace as well, like the old CJ style brace. No wonder FCA won't discuss or acknowledge this..

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
@TLife
That's crazy, I'm going to check my JT as soon as I can. That's total frame flex !!!! I'm wondering if it needs a cross brace as well, like the old CJ style brace. No wonder FCA won't discuss or acknowledge this..
That is interesting. It makes me wonder if a steel front bumper would add enough rigidity to tighten up the steering.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is interesting. It makes me wonder if a steel front bumper would add enough rigidity to tighten up the steering.
I have a factory steel bumper , with an additional frame bracket, so to answer your question.. NOPE !!!!!

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I have a factory steel bumper , with an additional frame bracket, so to answer your question.. NOPE !!!!!
I was hoping someone would come in with that knowledge. Thanks.

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have the loose steering problem with my Max Tow and the other day I got under the Gladiator without it running. I put one hand on the output shaft of the steering box and the other on the input shaft and turned it and the amount of play in the steering box was excessive. When I have time I'm going to have someone start the Gladiator and turn the steering wheel and I'm going to check it again to see it has the excessive play while running. Anyone else try this?

My Jeep likes my money

Sponsored

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
I have the loose steering problem with my Max Tow and the other day I got under the Gladiator without it running. I put one hand on the output shaft of the steering box and the other on the input shaft and turned it and the amount of play in the steering box was excessive. When I have time I'm going to have someone start the Gladiator and turn the steering wheel and I'm going to check it again to see it has the excessive play while running. Anyone else try this?

My Jeep likes my money
Yes, that appears to be the primary issue causing the loose steering. The problem is if its good in hot weather it sticks in the cold and if its loose in the hot its good in the cold. Cant win for loosing it seems. I know aluminum has a thermal expansion that is 2x of steel and iron. Perhaps the box expands and contracts just enough to change the mesh of the steering box gears.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just checked my steering today. Had my neighbor do the wheel while I watched the box, I didn't say anything, had the neighbor look in that certain area, asked him what he saw. He said the frame is flexing !!!! Confirming what I had just seen.
All I can say is WOW !!!! This reminds me of my old CJ-5 with the channel frame. Going to the dealer tomorrow to start a file.
Guess they will say that's normal.

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
Just checked my steering today. Had my neighbor do the wheel while I watched the box, I didn't say anything, had the neighbor look in that certain area, asked him what he saw. He said the frame is flexing !!!! Confirming what I had just seen.
All I can say is WOW !!!! This reminds me of my old CJ-5 with the channel frame. Going to the dealer tomorrow to start a file.
Guess they will say that's normal.
reminds my of a K5 Blazer I had a long time ago. Lifted they were known for tearing the steering box out of the frame. Mine only had 35’s and sure enough it cracked the frame rail around 2 out of 4 bolts so I had to install a reinforcement kit. Although I don’t think the steering in my Gladiator is bad enough to bitch about, constant flexing of the frame will fatigue the steel and it will eventually fail/crack. Since it’s happening to Gladiators that are out of the box stock, this should probably be a recall and a reinforcement bracket welded to the frame rail.

That last sentence is directed toward you @JeepCares.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If I am correct the backs of the stock bumpers are steel channel so should be sufficient to hold things. The steel bumper is steel front, too.
I've not really paid close attention, but there's a lot of structure to the stock non-steel bumper IMO.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that appears to be the primary issue causing the loose steering. The problem is if its good in hot weather it sticks in the cold and if its loose in the hot its good in the cold. Cant win for loosing it seems. I know aluminum has a thermal expansion that is 2x of steel and iron. Perhaps the box expands and contracts just enough to change the mesh of the steering box gears.
Why is it that the vast majority have no issues?
I've driven my around a lot lately, then this week got back into my WJ with 125,000 miles on it - and THAT'S what feels loose to me now! Seriously, my issue was the steering is so responsive on the JT that I was over-correcting. Now that I've relaxed with it, it's fine. My old stuff feels loose compared to it - even though they are NOT loose, in fact, 2 of my cars have all new steering and suspension.
So why is it that some have the issue but most do not. My dealer has never heard of any steering issue - he said they've sold over 50 so far. They have well over a dozen on the lot.
Sponsored

Reactions: Tim