Sponsored

Australian Diesel Wrangler

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
Jeep Australia have just announced the Wrangler Diesel in Aus and it is the bloody 2.2l from Europe and not the 3.0 from the US!!!
https://www.caradvice.com.au/802238/2019-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-diesel-review/

AND they are charging AD$5500 more for it!

JLUR (only available on the Rubicon) will have a starting price of OVER AU$70,000!!! :mad:

At that price, a 79 series is starting to look like a much better option!

Jeep Australia have no idea! :clap:

If they put that sewing machine motor in the Gladiator I will not buy one! :brokenhearted:
Sponsored

Last edited:

AaronW

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKU
You realise that we've had the 2.2 diesel for ages right?? Like, from launch.

We've had several come through our workshop. It was always known that we were never getting the 3.0L in the Wranglers.

And no, a 79 is never a good option. A 5.7L 1500 is a better option. The 79 doesn't even have matching track widths, and it has leaf under diff suspension. The whole thing is dumb.

OP
OP
MudderTruker

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
You realise that we've had the 2.2 diesel for ages right?? Like, from launch.

We've had several come through our workshop. It was always known that we were never getting the 3.0L in the Wranglers.

And no, a 79 is never a good option. A 5.7L 1500 is a better option. The 79 doesn't even have matching track widths, and it has leaf under diff suspension. The whole thing is dumb.
G'day Aaron ... thanks for the update - no I didnt know we have it from launch. I thought it was just newly released! You have made my weekend now mate!

The 1500 is a good option - I looked at one when they just came out. But the fuel in the 5.7 scares me. Also, I had a petrol Wrangler and going through the Outback (Simmo) petrol can be harder to find.
Agree re the 79 series - but you get a whole lot more for you $7x,xxx in the 79 than a 2.2l Rubicon.
When I thought I needed to start looking at another option, as I wont but a 2.2l Gladiator, I was looking at the 79s, and they really are yesterdays tech, in every aspects!

AaronW

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKU
G'day Aaron ... thanks for the update - no I didnt know we have it from launch. I thought it was just newly released! You have made my weekend now mate!

The 1500 is a good option - I looked at one when they just came out. But the fuel in the 5.7 scares me. Also, I had a petrol Wrangler and going through the Outback (Simmo) petrol can be harder to find.
Agree re the 79 series - but you get a whole lot more for you $7x,xxx in the 79 than a 2.2l Rubicon.
When I thought I needed to start looking at another option, as I wont but a 2.2l Gladiator, I was looking at the 79s, and they really are yesterdays tech, in every aspects!
You'd be surprised how good those 5.7s are on fuel. They also deactivate half the cylinders when not under load.
Better fuel mileage than the V8 diesel cruiser gets that's for sure lol
Sponsored