Sponsored

IF I KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW, PURCHASE DECISION

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Always look forward to your posts. Must be that Canadian thing. I mean, the country that gave us Red Green...........
Life's too short to take it too seriously.

And as that wise man once said: "If you can't stay young, you can at least stay immature."
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I need to take a pic of the area - it's a pretty good drop-off, likely where the Des Moines river used to flow the way it's shaped and cut (and not far from the river for that matter). We live in a very hilly area and the road we were one was a steep hill down toward the highway into town. The hill was really icy (since that week the county now sands the crap out of the hill pretty quickly after storms - we must not have been the only one)
Anyway, down the hill unable to stop. Across the highway ahead of us was the double-arrow sign, and other road signs on either side of that. Across the highway, between the posts, down the drop into the area between the highway and the railroad tracks. It just proved to me how cool Jeeps are because it survived upright, unscratched and I got it driven back out. I know nothing else I've ever had could have done that.

Aero_JT

First Name
Bosco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2011 Acadia SLT AWD, 1997 Saab 9000 Aero
Never owned a Jeep, Truck or convertible before. Got all 3 in 1.
Same here as a proud Overland JT owner! My 2 young boys are just as happy as I am, for having all 3 dreams come true in a single vehicle! :like:

Given I've been wanting a Jeep since the TJ era 20+ years ago, and getting full support from my wife for the JT, I am definitely counting my blessings! :):):jk:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Same here as a proud Overland JT owner! My 2 young boys are just as happy as I am, for having all 3 dreams come true in a single vehicle! :like:

Given I've been wanting a Jeep since the TJ era 20+ years ago, and getting full support from my wife for the JT, I am definitely counting my blessings! :):):jk:
Exactly. Even my grown son messaged me after seeing my truck on FB and said "I'm slightly envious" LOL and for him to say even slightly - as he's hardly ever envious of anything, it meant a lot.
My wife was fine with it however, as always with any of our vehicles, she goes in the end and has final say on color and interior stuff. That's fine - she can't not like it that way and frankly, she does have very good taste. (When I met her the joke was her champagne tastes on a beer budget and it's still sort of true. )
I've wanted a more classic Jeep look over the grand cherokees we've bought and owned for decades, and I wanted a different truck, and this is a fine daily driver, too.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
Retired 2.7 years ago.......
Anyway, I am just curious about a comment you made about one looking more like a truck and less like a Jeep since the front ends are the same, the profile the same, doors and roof interchange, grills the same, etc.
Just to toss this in there - people see mine as a Jeep - oh, it's a truck, ok.
So I'm curious about that comment.
As far as the "running boards", that was something the sales person used as sort of a selling point as my wife might be able to use those to get in more easily - sort of a "oh, these will likely help her" thing - yeah, that sounded ok, but now I think those may come off in favor of something that she can actually use as those sit so high they are almost worthless as a "step" to get in and out. I guess that's one of those things I see as "maybe should have done differently" as it was a sort of point brought up as a positive, but it's not really for her. DEFINITELY better than the Sport with nothing there - they do help some, but just "kind of".
Anyway, just curious.
Oh, I do like the Overland wheels a lot - in fact looking at all of the JTs on the lot I decided I actually like my wheels better than a lot of those on the lot on any of the Jeep models I looked at, JT or otherwise.

It is the running boards, they look more truck like, than jeep like. The slightly lower profile makes it look more like a truck to me, where even at stock Rubicon lift it is a bit taller and hence less truck like to me.

I agree with the Overland wheels best looking JT wheels on the lots I have looked at. The worst aluminum wheels are those on the S... I would have to change those if I had gone with the S.

I too will need steps so I can take my 93 year old mother-in-law on occassionally errands when my wife can’t. That may be a challenge.

JC

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZTMAN

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Thanks for all the feedback. Went on a final shopping trip this morning and am picking up a Granite Crystal Rubicon this afternoon.

tstugel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I actually looked for an bought a Rubicon Launch Edition because of the options I wanted. LED lighting package is a must, IMO as the lights are far superior than anything else. For convenience sake I would definitely opt for the prox entry, I rent a lot of Jeeps for work travel and not having the prox entry is a PITA. I also wanted the 8.4" sound system, again, renting Jeeps without it just looks cheap and makes using the screen options that much less enjoyable. Ultimately, I also wanted the full lockers and wider axles with 4:10 gears for pulling trailers. I can live with a bit less pulling capacity as this is not a full sized truck anyway. All this is just IMHO

Reactions: Tim

Aero_JT

First Name
Bosco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2011 Acadia SLT AWD, 1997 Saab 9000 Aero
Thanks for all the feedback. Went on a final shopping trip this morning and am picking up a Granite Crystal Rubicon this afternoon.
Wow that's great! It's my second favourite color after the Sting Grey! Ended up getting a deal on a demo in Firecracker Red. Well, beggars can't be choosers.

Enjoying every moment with it though. Like another wise jeeper put it in another thread, "we drive our hobbies!" (or something along that line)

Going back to the initial question, one feature I didn't consider before, but ended up getting and liking it a lot is the Proximity Keyless Entry. Aux Switch package is a close second.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Granite Crystal is the best color offered, and it's exactly what I'd get if I could do it over again. Congrats. Are you getting body color fenders?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZTMAN

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Granite Crystal is the best color offered, and it's exactly what I'd get if I could do it over again. Congrats. Are you getting body color fenders?
No body colored fenders. Planned on visiting two dealers today.First one to look at Sport S models and the second dealer had a stripped Rubicon ($50k msrp) Showed up a the first dealer who had a good inventory of Sport S. After test driving a few, told the manager I was going to look at a GC Rubicon on a MD dealer lot an hour away and then make a decison. First dealer said he had a $52 msrp GC Rubicon. Told him his had too many options. Long story short, they ended up cutting me a great deal and I did not have to travel to MD.
Has AT, leather, bed cover, bed liner, tow package . 8.4 radio and hard top.

OP
OP
ZTMAN

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Pics tomorrow in the light. Sleeping comfortably in the garage now

IMG_1457.jpg

Last edited:

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Pretty sure my "SPORT" is more badass than whatever you own now. I have more money than time, so.. :)
I have a sport s, and perhaps you missed my joking tone....... My Gladys is amazing, if you have a bottomless wallet then cudos to you.
Sponsored