Sponsored

Loose Steering?

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Anyone on this forum tried this yet?
Ordered one from my distributor, I should have it installed when we get back from Thanksgiving. Spoke with my Synergy rep, he said it helps a ton.
Sponsored

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered one from my distributor, I should have it installed when we get back from Thanksgiving. Spoke with my Synergy rep, he said it helps a ton.
Thanks! Will be waiting for the feedback.

Also as an FYI I talked to a local Jeep shop to me. They have obviously had some come in with complaints. A few on the JLs. They have installed the PSC Overlanding kit and said it has completely solved the problem. Of course that's a $3k upgrade.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps it's a quality control issue? Perhaps your dealer has a vested interest? My dealer said they have had a lot of JLs come in with steering issues. Hell, they are on the 5th revision of the steering box, with a new track bar bushing and new steering stabilizer. They have death-wobble on jeeps with less than 5k miles. That used to be unheard of on stock vehicles with low mileage, how can anyone say there aren't issues? There are always first year blues, the only way they get addressed is by people making the manufacturer aware of the problem.

I have driven F-250s, dodge 2500s, large trucks and many other jeeps and this steering is like driving an old worn out SFA truck. I am not addressing this just at you but, I find it crazy that people get so aggressive assuming others "don't know how a solid front axle vehicle is supposed to drive". Just because yours is good it doesn't mean others aren't having issues that need to be addressed. When you can turn the wheel of a parked car from 10o'clock to 2o'clock and the wheels don't budge there is a problem. This isn't an IFA vehicle and no one should expect it to drive as one. But looking like a person driving a car in a movie is not how it should be.

I had a 05 LJ Rubi that I put 140k miles on with 35s and had full currie steering and control arms by the time I was done. I wore out every factory suspension part on that jeep and replaced them all. This is also not my first jeep or solid front axle. The steering box on the 05 developed some slop and it drove just like my JT does now and a friends JL did. My friend adjusted his steering box (which he was told not to do by the dealer) just like he had done on the last 5 jeeps (CJ, YJ, TJ, LJ and JK) he had and it fixed the issue for him. After driving his jeep it drives like a dream, better than any jeep I have ever been in.

When I adjusted my 05 rubi box it drove great again, 1/8th of a turn and the slop was gone.

The only thing stopping me from doing it on my new jeep is the warranty. I love my JT, it's just the steering stoping it from being perfect.
I'm not suggesting others aren't having issues - just wondering if there's a clue in the fact that most don't have the issue. Clearly there's plenty that do and a video here proves that - visible proof, not just "I said it's bad" but "look how bad it is".
I've driven two - and neither, the test drive vehicle, a Sport S with max tow, or the Overland I bought, has a steering issue. There's two out of two, no problems. So all I'm saying is that it's not all - so there must be come common thing tying those that do have an issue together. I'm suggesting look for a common thread IF there is one.
Frankly, mine handles at least as good if not better than my WJ and about the same as my wife's Grand Cherokee.
My F250 was basically solid axle, too - and it handled great until about 75-80.000 miles then all heck broke loose and 2 grand couldn't fix it.
I see no reason these vehicles can't handle as well as anything else out there in its class - mine does. So - why don't the others?
What's different? Why is mine good, the others on the local lot good - and yet several people here have definite issues.
I'd never suggest they don't - I've worked on enough vehicles over the years to know that moving a wheel that much to get a response is bad. Sounds like my 82 before I replaced the steering sector and it could be spooky at times. So - I feel for those who have the problem.
These won't ever handle like a new Mercedes - but they shouldn't handle like a 1957 military Jeep either.
If mine can handle and steer great, so should theirs - period - especially with no mods!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Will be waiting for the feedback.

Also as an FYI I talked to a local Jeep shop to me. They have obviously had some come in with complaints. A few on the JLs. They have installed the PSC Overlanding kit and said it has completely solved the problem. Of course that's a $3k upgrade.
No one but FCA should have to pay for a steering problem....... and having to turn the steering wheel a couple inches to get a response is bad even with a front drive/suspension like these have.
Mine handles GREAT, pretty much like my Chevy did, better than my 125,000 mile WJ - that tells me these can and should steer fine - especially those without major mods........ if mine can handle fine - they all should, so there's a problem out there. No one should have to buy and install their own parts to fix it (maybe major/mega-mods to steering and suspension but that's different - I'm talking anyone with a stock vehicle, off the lot, wimpy or loose steering - they should NOT have to buy things to fix it)

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
No one but FCA should have to pay for a steering problem....... I'm talking anyone with a stock vehicle, off the lot, wimpy or loose steering - they should NOT have to buy things to fix it)
Yes, I agree 100%. BUT if I have to wait 1 week to 3 years for FCA to own the problem, and I find a fix that works for me. I will have to step up and do it myself. They aren't going to buy back my jeep and I bought and paid for it, so it's mine.
I hate this for all of us, but we just have to do what we have to do.... Also, if I wreck because I could have fixed it myself , or had a shop do it, then that's just common sense. But still FCA should fix it and make it right. But for your Overland, who really knows why it's ok? You say we need to find a common denominator, This should be what FCA needs to do.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I agree 100%. BUT if I have to wait 1 week to 3 years for FCA to own the problem, and I find a fix that works for me. I will have to step up and do it myself. They aren't going to buy back my jeep and I bought and paid for it, so it's mine.
I hate this for all of us, but we just have to do what we have to do.... Also, if I wreck because I could have fixed it myself , or had a shop do it, then that's just common sense. But still FCA should fix it and make it right. But for your Overland, who really knows why it's ok? You say we need to find a common denominator, This should be what FCA needs to do.
That's true - but if anyone goes to them with something, a lead - and reports findings to the feds as well - it might have more pull. Too bad some of these companies wait for a disaster to agree there's an issue.
The fact that because in this forum alone there are several reporting it - and this is a small sub-set of all JT owners out there - face it, not even a tenth of JT owners are here - yet look at the numbers, it's proof alone that there's a problem.
of course compounding the trouble finding a cause, thus a fix, MAY BE there's more than one thing going on - more than one cause for the same or SIMILAR symptoms.
In a way it's too bad mine doesn't have the problem because I can be a real thorn in the side when I have an issue with something new I've bought. They don't even want to have to deal with me - I take no prisoners and have never been afraid to go up the chain really fast.
Back in the 1980s I caused a AMC/Jeep service manager to lose his job and end up selling parts for a Chevy dealer.

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Is this the kit? PSC Motorsports Big Bore XD Overlander Steering Kit for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL with 3.6L Starting at $2,334.00

My Jeep likes my money
psc-motorsports-sk500-sk501-overlander-big-bore-xj-steering-box-pump-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl.jpg

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this the kit? PSC Motorsports Big Bore XD Overlander Steering Kit for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL with 3.6L Starting at $2,334.00

My Jeep likes my money
psc-motorsports-sk500-sk501-overlander-big-bore-xj-steering-box-pump-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl.jpg
Yes BUT the JT kit is not out yet. Apparently there are some differences in the motor mounting that makes the JL kit not fit the JT at this time. That's what I HEARD and not straight from PSC, just from my local Jeep shop. But yes that is the kit they put on the JL.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
that tells me these can and should steer fine - especially those without major mods
Agreed, and I tend to think that it's got to be something other than the frame. While maybe there is frame flex and that sucks. I find it highly unlikely that frames differ. It's more likely a steering box or PS pump, bad trac-bar bushing, tie rod ends...etc. Something that could have varied from Jeep to Jeep.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, and I tend to think that it's got to be something other than the frame. While maybe there is frame flex and that sucks. I find it highly unlikely that frames differ. It's more likely a steering box or PS pump, bad trac-bar bushing, tie rod ends...etc. Something that could have varied from Jeep to Jeep.
Frame flex isn't going to get you a steering wheel that has to be moved over an inch to correct drift or keep it straight. It won't help matters anyway but the sort of thing described here by several folks - and shown in that comparison video aren't due to frame flex. (which again, is seen while sitting still with big tires resisting movement on a solid surface such as a concrete drive - so I'm not so concerned about that bit knowing how hard it is to get wheels to move on a solid surface - especially the large tires of a Jeep)
I'd wonder about the steering sector for one thing - that's typically where you see the issue pop up in other non-Jeep vehicles. That and worn parts like idler arm, pitman and so on but these are new so there should be no wear or play in any steering linkage.

Too bad in a way that there's not one of these Jeeps acting like this in my area - I'd invite the owner to come to my shop and I'd go through all the stuff I go through when inspecting steering and suspension before alignment, etc. - there's a whole process, things to check and how to check them. So if there's one of these around Des Moines, it would be interesting to inspect the steering components first-hand.

Sponsored

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered and installed the Synergy brace. First let me start by saying I did also install the Mopar 2" lift and 37s about 3 weeks ago. So it is no longer stock. However this update is still relevant.

I would say the synergy brace made a 50-75% improvement. It's really hard to determine how much improvement because there really was no measurements. However it absolutely made a difference for me. That points to this problem definitely being in the steering box. Something I suspected but now have confirmation. I changed nothing else in the steering linkages. I'm ruling out that it wasn't the tracbar brace that helped but rather the support of the sector shaft. It was $180 shipped from @Northridge4x4 with coupon code.

The stronger trac-bar brace is not a terrible idea with the 37s and has the added bones it had the sector shaft support. I suspect eventually the steering boxs on some JTs will be replaced because of too much play. That's my $.02.

Last edited:

BeeYoBe

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I just wanted to post here that i took delivery of my 2020 Gladiator Overland on October 27, 2019. I noticed the steering issue on my test drive and the salesman had said that it was normal. Of course he would say that! I thought to myself that I would just get used to it. I do think that I am more used to it now but its still an issue. And, after some research it seems its not normal at all. I have a call into my local dealer to check it out, but they said that they hadn't heard of any issues regarding the steering on a Gladiator. It's too new they said. I may be the guinea pig in the area but it sounds like there still isn't a fix or a nailed down solution. Also, my JT is a totally bone stock Overland with 0 mods. I now have 1400 miles on it and there has been no change for better or worse. Its still bad. I did put in a complaint to the NHTSA and have contacted Jeepcares as well.

Reactions: jrf

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I just wanted to post here that i took delivery of my 2020 Gladiator Overland on October 27, 2019. I noticed the steering issue on my test drive and the salesman had said that it was normal. Of course he would say that! I thought to myself that I would just get used to it. I do think that I am more used to it now but its still an issue. And, after some research it seems its not normal at all. I have a call into my local dealer to check it out, but they said that they hadn't heard of any issues regarding the steering on a Gladiator. It's too new they said. I may be the guinea pig in the area but it sounds like there still isn't a fix or a nailed down solution. Also, my JT is a totally bone stock Overland with 0 mods. I now have 1400 miles on it and there has been no change for better or worse. Its still bad. I did put in a complaint to the NHTSA and have contacted Jeepcares as well.
Hi Bob,
I just wanted to let you know that we have received your PM and will be happy to continue assisting you from there.
Alex
JeepCares

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a call into my local dealer to check it out, but they said that they hadn't heard of any issues regarding the steering on a Gladiator.
uh huh...sure they haven't....

Also, my JT is a totally bone stock Overland with 0 mods. I now have 1400 miles on it and there has been no change for better or worse.
@ShadowsPapa I know you've been wanting some tracking.....but here is at least an Overland with the issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
uh huh...sure they haven't....

@ShadowsPapa I know you've been wanting some tracking.....but here is at least an Overland with the issue.
mine a stock Overland is just fine, his a stock Overland not so fine.
There's more proof that it's not stock vs. modified - it's either, doesn't seem to matter - plus some have said they had issues as they left the dealer - more indication it's there from the get-go.
It's not height related as Rubicon sits about 1" higher than Overland from the factory ("has a 1" factory lift" ) and I believe some have said Sport, which I measured (inaccurately, at best) to be about half an inch lower than Overland.
So it's not height related. I ASSUME the steering sector is mounted the same regardless of model of Gladiator.
So whatever it is, it's common to all. Then there's a possibility that there's more than one issue causing the same symptoms.
Sponsored