Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck anyone?

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
It's neither practical nor legal
I have never driven a car with such a steering wheel so I wouldn't know. Although, I didn't know that it is not legal as well - that is interesting so I am sure that will be changed if it is not legal... What if the truck is self driving - would that make it legal? Or is there any leeway for that to sneak into production? I personally don't care for the style of the steering wheel either way...

Also, the cybertruck will be my 3rd cartoy so I am willing to take some hits on practicality :blush:

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
I doubt the weird steering wheel will make it to production. That alone would prevent me from getting one. The only other things I really don't like are the size (mainly the width) and weight (I could be wrong here, but I assume it will weigh a lot more than a standard truck). The styling is growing on me now that I've seen some higher res photos from different angles. Oh, another thing I'm curious about is how do you tie anything down in the front of the bed (a.k.a. "vault")? You're definitely not reaching over the side from the ground like you can with a Gladiator. Visibility also doesn't look great, though I assume they plan to fix that with cameras and screens.

Very cool truck, though. I'd love to test drive one just to see what's it like. I'm sure it will shake up the market a bit and drive more innovation from the other automakers.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
So funny. I'm rewatching breaking bad and the Aztec was supposed to convey he was a bit of a pragmatic uncool misfit but now it does seem kind of cool.
especially with the pontiac tent option.
pontiac%2Baztek%2Btent2.jpg

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Yeah with the tonneau I guess you don't even have a rear window
Actually, it does have a rear window as confirmed by videos made by people who got to ride in it that night. However, the rear view "mirror" is a screen fed by a camera that I'm guessing is mounted near the highest point of the roof. As you noted with the "vault" tonneau closed the rear window would not be useful to see out of. All Teslas already have cameras all around the car to serve as eyes for their autopilot semi-autonomous driving software. My guess is they will mount screens in appropriate places to allow you to see around. By the time this hits the market it may very well be legal to forgo traditional side view mirrors. Several automakers have been pushing for this as it can result in significant efficiency gains on smaller cars.

It does have a lot of glass in general, though, so it may not be much worse than standard trucks. It just looks so different that it's hard for me to visualize what it would actually be like to drive it. Elon tweeted yesterday they already had 146,000 people in line to buy it (only takes a $100 refundable deposit).

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how much a 500-mile-range electric Wrangler would weigh?
I’m not against converting an actual Jeep Gladiator to an electric or even hydrogen / fuel cell system one day... who says what is coming in the future... Rivian and Tesla pickup trucks are interesting... but the World War look of the Jeep Gladiator is unique! You’re not driving a Jeep... you’re riding a Jeep!

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
I agree with your comparison to DeLorean, that is the first thought that came to my mind, but I don't really agree with your harsh criticism of the design though. More so because it is not out yet in production and I am sure a few things will change. But, your criticism is mainly towards the design and I really think that what makes this design unique is that the clean long lines without any trim cutting it. It actually reminds me of Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings... I mean they criticized his designs as well saying that there were a lot of straight lines... and of course the roof leaked LOL. I hope the roof of the Cybertruck doesn't leak haha... I have a unique sense of admiration for people who buck the trend and propose radical designs and sure it might go the Aztec way and fall flat on its face but I think this idea and design has wheels (pun intended).

Why should it be like any other car? Who makes these rules? When you drop all conventional thinking and take a new unique approach maybe something wonderful might come?
The design? What design? It is just literally a linear reproduction over a truck shape. It actually has zero design features. it is featureless. Like a barren moon with not even craters from meteor strikes. It is not even futuristic, it looks like a 5 year old with a ruler put wheels on his toy blocks.

Then the promotional release event... this is a scam by a billionaire about to go bankrupt spectacularly, while trying to make it look like a real thing.

I have a good friend with multiple Teslas and they are in fact very cool vehicles, that said, this is a joke.

JC

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
The design? What design? It is just literally a linear reproduction over a truck shape. It actually has zero design features. it is featureless. Like a barren moon with not even craters from meteor strikes. It is not even futuristic, it looks like a 5 year old with a ruler put wheels on his toy blocks.

Then the promotional release event... this is a scam by a billionaire about to go bankrupt spectacularly, while trying to make it look like a real thing.

I have a good friend with multiple Teslas and they are in fact very cool vehicles, that said, this is a joke.

JC

Lmao. I guarantee you go bankrupt before Elon musk

Sponsored

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
Lmao. I guarantee you go bankrupt before Elon musk
There is zero chance I will go bankrupt unless some millennial changes our currency over to some stupid crypto currency. Elon on the other hand is a few government grants from using his own money.

JC

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Why should it be like any other car? Who makes these rules? When you drop all conventional thinking and take a new unique approach maybe something wonderful might come?
who makes the rules? The government. That is one reason why cars are all starting to look the same. By the time you meet all regulations you are designing within a box.

this is basically a concept car. It’s design will never make it to production.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I was thinking about the whole "why rolled steel, why bulletproof glass" and coupling it with the DB behavior where truck drivers are parking in charging spots, boxing teslas in, or coal rolling them and figure Tesla needs to make their vehicles as tough as possible because there are so many "haters" just griefing the Tesla owners. It's curious that someone can hate a vehicle so much that they have to go out of their way to attack them. I hate the way some cars look, or behave, but I can't make myself care enough to go out of my way and attack it/them. It's a curious thing, but very apparent in this thread that there are folks even in this community that fall into that category. Why do you care what someone else drives if they're not driving it into you?

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
I would also like to add, that unless you are living in a part of the world where getting shot at is legitimately a bigger risk then getting into a car crash bullet proof glass is a super bad idea.

Picture this, its February, some idiot just slid through a red light T boning you, you are now trapped upside down in your mangled stainless armored car... bystanders are doing all they can to break the window and get you out, the fire department is still 10 minutes away with the jaws... and you smell smoke. I would never want armored glass in my car, I live in Michigan, not Mogadishu.

Toycrusher2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You can love or hate the design, that doesn't matter. But it's disgusting that he'd come forward with such bald face lies. He's more than capable of producing a vehicle with all those promised specs. But to stand there and try to tell people that if they "lend" him some money, they will be able to buy it for $40k??? It's more like $400k. It's a cheap cash grab and an insult
Sponsored