First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
I had some free time this evening to try something out. I found a good straight on shot of a Gator JT. (I'm sorry, I don't recall whose photo it was I used.) This idea was inspired by the Wayout concept. I loved the mat black panel with the gloss black graphic of the topographical map. This would be similar to that, but would keep the same Gator / Lagarto (Lizard) theme I started with the hood graphic. I was torn on the thin red stripe both top and bottom of the black panel. I think it's a nice touch.

LAGARTO_tailgate.jpg

What do y'all think?

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
The gator eyeball from your signature peering over the top left of the black ...

OP
OP
darksidedesign

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The gator eyeball from your signature peering over the top left of the black ...
I think I'll reserve that for the hood like I have in the first post of this thread.

OP
OP
darksidedesign

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tried something else on the side. While I do like it, I think it's a bit too much for my taste. I prefer the subtlety of the gloss black gator skin texture on the mat black panel.

graphic_on_JT_2.jpg

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Tried something else on the side. While I do like it, I think it's a bit too much for my taste. I prefer the subtlety of the gloss black gator skin texture on the mat black panel.

graphic_on_JT_2.jpg
They both look good.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Love the creativity!

I’m planning on a similar hood decal to Rick’s black vinyl only dark red with a front center cutout and the word HEMI placed boldly.

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler Sport, 2015 NIssan Frontier SV crew cab VTP 4x4, 1996 Chevy S10 excab sportside 4.3 5spd
Occupation
F*rd parts guy
OK, so while I absolutely LOVE the Lagarto decal, and the font looks amazing. Even though the color is Gator, I just can't get behind the Alligator image. It just messes with me knowing a gator is not technically lizard. If it had some sort of Lizard in the image, it would be perfect.
Now if you changed it to a another language's word for Gator, then it would be all good. But lizard with a pic of a gator, to me, is no different than upbadging. Like putting a Rubicon hood sticker on a Sport.

HOWEVER, It is YOUR JEEP and if you like it, that is 100% all that matters.

OP
OP
darksidedesign

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OK, so while I absolutely LOVE the Lagarto decal, and the font looks amazing. Even though the color is Gator, I just can't get behind the Alligator image. It just messes with me knowing a gator is not technically lizard. If it had some sort of Lizard in the image, it would be perfect.
Now if you changed it to a another language's word for Gator, then it would be all good. But lizard with a pic of a gator, to me, is no different than upbadging. Like putting a Rubicon hood sticker on a Sport.

HOWEVER, It is YOUR JEEP and if you like it, that is 100% all that matters.
I do appreciate you speaking your mind. If I'm being honest, I have been struggling with this exact issue. Do I lose the alligator or do I not use the Lagarto name? I do have some history with the Lagarto name. But I've been obsessed with alligators ever since I heard the name of the color. Luckily, I have some time before I get my JT. Nothing is set in stone at this point. I am actually trying out some different ideas as we speak. So, it could change completely from what you see in this thread.

Follow along and watch the evolution!

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler Sport, 2015 NIssan Frontier SV crew cab VTP 4x4, 1996 Chevy S10 excab sportside 4.3 5spd
Occupation
F*rd parts guy
I do appreciate you speaking your mind. If I'm being honest, I have been struggling with this exact issue. Do I lose the alligator or do I not use the Lagarto name? I do have some history with the Lagarto name. But I've been obsessed with alligators ever since I heard the name of the color. Luckily, I have some time before I get my JT. Nothing is set in stone at this point. I am actually trying out some different ideas as we speak. So, it could change completely from what you see in this thread.

Follow along and watch the evolution!
I feel your history with Lagarto is a bit more sentimental/meaningful overall and you should run with that. Not only does it have history and meaning to you, I feel like as Gator color JT's become more plentiful on the roads as well as on the internet, alligator themed version will also start showing up. And while your's will be unique because you designed it, and one of the first around, It will still be only of multiple Gator themed JT's.
The chances of you seeing another LAGARTO JT is extremely low.

EDIT: the Mojave lizard decal would look awesome. Maybe change the color a little and slap it on your images to see what it looks like.

Sponsored

OP
OP
darksidedesign

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I feel your history with Lagarto is a bit more sentimental/meaningful overall and you should run with that. Not only does it have history and meaning to you, I feel like as Gator color JT's become more plentiful on the roads as well as on the internet, alligator themed version will also start showing up. And while your's will be unique because you designed it, and one of the first around, It will still be only of multiple Gator themed JT's.
The chances of you seeing another LAGARTO JT is extremely low.
You may be right. I was starting to consider referring to it as the GLADIGATOR. I've seen a few people on here that have called theirs that. Which prompted a google search. I found this:

Needless to say, seeing that changed my mind immediately. I want no connection with that awful theme song. Lagarto it is! I'm in the process of designing graphics accordingly.

sad85XD

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker Red 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon "Azazel"
Occupation
Auditor
Personally, I think one of the reasons it works its because the LAGARTO is an anagram for LA GATOR (the gator)

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
F*rd parts guy
OMG! That video! I can understand not wanting to be mistakenly connected to that.

You may be right. I was starting to consider referring to it as the GLADIGATOR. I've seen a few people on here that have called theirs that. Which prompted a google search. I found this:

Needless to say, seeing that changed my mind immediately. I want no connection with that awful theme song. Lagarto it is! I'm in the process of designing graphics accordingly.

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
re: that vid...that's 35 secs of my life i'll never get back. :facepalm:

Spartan21

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 03TJ
I always wanted to name a jeep, Apache . Cool warriors and all.
Sponsored