Bed Storage (not drawers) Options

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Drawers are nice - great even but IMO the Gladiator's bed is small and drawers, no matter how well designed and constructed they are (1) take up space and (2) they add weight to the vehicle.

I like the efficiency - the concept of drawers but I keep coming back to going with tote boxes/containers. I have one of these Rubbermaid Action Packer 24 gallon boxes and I may get some more. The key is finding a box with the best dimensions to fit in the bed especially using as much of the height under a bed cover (I have the factory Tonneau).

I want to see how I can best use the bed and keep the weight down. Strong & lightweight and can be removed at home and at the campsite.

Rubbermaid Action Packer 24 gallon (26" x 18.5" x 17"H) - about $40.00 each

Jeep Gladiator Bed Storage (not drawers) Options black-gray-rubbermaid-storage-bins-rmap240000-64_1000

loaded-12-jpeg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-24-Gal-Action-Packer-Storage-Box-RMAP240000/303191527

Of course there are other plastic box options but many of them are ultra-rugged and pricey (e.g., Pelican and others) but they're way more than is needed for most camping/overlanding storage.

Last edited:

wlvrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I've been trying out various solutions myself.

Milwaukee makes a "Packout" 22 in. Tool Box and two of them side-by-side fit PERFECTLY into the back of the bed and can be secured by a ratchet strap or bungees by the tie down points which are still accessible. They are weather proof and have lots of places to hook or tie down. They're pretty beefy. Side-by-side, you can open both of them as long as you add a spacer piece of 2x4 behind them so the lids can clear the back of the bed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-PACKOUT-22-in-Large-Tool-Box-48-22-8425/303005621

red-milwaukee-portable-tool-boxes-48-22-8425-64_1000.jpg

wlvrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
how do you plan on securing it so it doesn't walk off. Or is the assumption out of sight out of mind since it'll be covered by the tonneau cover?

I ask becasue I'm in the same situation and don't really want a traditional truck box. Just seems like I'm headed int hat direction.

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
I've been trying out various solutions myself.

Milwaukee makes a "Packout" 22 in. Tool Box and two of them side-by-side fit PERFECTLY into the back of the bed and can be secured by a ratchet strap or bungees by the tie down points which are still accessible. They are weather proof and have lots of places to hook or tie down. They're pretty beefy. Side-by-side, you can open both of them as long as you add a spacer piece of 2x4 behind them so the lids can clear the back of the bed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-PACKOUT-22-in-Large-Tool-Box-48-22-8425/303005621

red-milwaukee-portable-tool-boxes-48-22-8425-64_1000.jpg
At HD, you can get a Husky brand for less than $20 just like those (not red though).

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
One of my goals is to use the height/depth of the bed. I know those Milwaukee Pack Out boxes stack and lick together when stacked. I wonder how high they’ll be stacked

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have found the undercover swing away, has the draw back of when the bed is loaded you can not access the tool box very easy. I have access to the military hardig style of cases in different styles, weather proof and can take a large amount of abuse. They come with rollers and handles and are lockable.

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I have a tuffy rear storage box from my TJ that I plan on mounting in the back. It fits between the wheel wells with a bit of wiggle room on each side. I’m looking in to ways to mount it so it doesn’t mess up my bed liner too much, while still being mounted securely - I also want to be able to remove it easily.

I plan on getting one of the numerous hard, locking tonneau covers available but haven’t made the decision just yet.

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I have found the undercover swing away, has the draw back of when the bed is loaded you can not access the tool box very easy. I have access to the military hardig style of cases in different styles, weather proof and can take a large amount of abuse. They come with rollers and handles and are lockable.
I'm sure there are better options, I just liked this due to the clean look and feeling integrated in the bed.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
how do you plan on securing it so it doesn't walk off. Or is the assumption out of sight out of mind since it'll be covered by the tonneau cover?

I ask becasue I'm in the same situation and don't really want a traditional truck box. Just seems like I'm headed int hat direction.
I have the MOPAR hard tonneau cover which is secure while the rear lift gate is shut and locked. Of course anyone could pry it open with enough interest, but they could also just break windows if they wanted in that desperately. I keep law enforcement gear in my bed and have yet to have any issues.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Outback
One of my goals is to use the height/depth of the bed. I know those Milwaukee Pack Out boxes stack and lick together when stacked. I wonder how high they’ll be stacked
I have the Packout system for my tools. I did some measuring and it looks like the large tool box and the regular tool box will stack together and still fit under my Tyger tonneau just fine. I may get another large one to pair them up on each side. I have the roller stack that they are selling at HD for $199 along with another regular sized tool box. I use one of the regulars for bicycle tools, the other for myriad screw drivers and tools. All of my sockets fit in the large tool box with room to spare and all of my cordless power tools fit in the roller. The roller is not going to fit under the tonneau in any configuration I have determined which is fine. I can throw my impact driver and batteries in one of the other ones. I could use the other large one for miscellaneous larger hammers, handsaws, recovery straps and tie downs.

These boxes are made in Israel and are tough as nails. They are the most expensive of the tool organization options but is still cheap compared to the value they carry. I'm confident they will outlast me.